PO: Minus the Bear poi/Portugal the Man waiter rp

Guest admin1338560633

How many of you guys have ever said "Fuck I wish I had ______ record!" but it was out of print.

Virgil isn't tell you to buy it. He runs a fucking label, and a label's job is to sell records. It isn't to live up to the desires of a bunch of collectors who want stuff OOP so their records are worth more.

Fuck. Virgil is a guy who almost lost his business and had to move it into his house to keep afloat. VC has been successful now, and he's able to have an office again (I'd assume much to the happiness of his wife), but this is a guy whose spent years losing money trying to provide a service to music fans.

The fact that he's repressing the top selling record he's ever released is just good business and, outside of those of you who have almost lost everything you hold dear trying to do something you love, you should really grow the fuck up and quite bitching about this.

dude, no one was attacking virgil, i don't even think there is anyone on this site who doesn't like him, and i know that everyone appreciates what he does, but everyone has their own opinions about everything so there's no need to get so defensive

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's an odd question. Whenever a record gets repressed, do they have test presses for each of that repressings? Or is/are the test press from the 1st press the end-all-be-all for that particular record?

depends on whether they're made from the same stampers. if the same stampers are used there usually will not be a second round of test presses. however some labels will have them made anyway to ensure that the quality will still be high.

I am amazed that there are so many upset people. The reason this is being repressed is because the band told me that they wanted/needed more copies for their tour. When a band is likely to sell 100,000 copies of their CD/digital, is 4,000 copies of the vinyl that out of control? And for those worried about the value of the release based on how many copies were made, that is why I have kept every pressing distinct from the previous pressing.

For the collectors who feel like they have to get every single color of every single pressing, I really don't know what to say to you. Would you feel better if the represses were all the same color so that you wouldn't feel like having to pick them up? What is the appropriate number I should press?

I also am ok with repressing it because there are lots of people who email me that never got the earlier pressings.

I am sorry that not everyone is happy about this, but when you try to please everyone, you please no one.

Like I said before, I think it's great that there is a demand for this record. It was my second favourite release last year, so it only makes senses that more people enjoy it. A thought for the future would be maybe to do /1000 on one colour or something, that way if someone feels that they just have to have one, it won't break their wallet. This will also help retain the value of earlier pressings /500 and should help calm down the collector. Either way, it will still surely sell out. Just my thoughts.

I am amazed that there are so many upset people. The reason this is being repressed is because the band told me that they wanted/needed more copies for their tour. When a band is likely to sell 100,000 copies of their CD/digital, is 4,000 copies of the vinyl that out of control? And for those worried about the value of the release based on how many copies were made, that is why I have kept every pressing distinct from the previous pressing.

For the collectors who feel like they have to get every single color of every single pressing, I really don't know what to say to you. Would you feel better if the represses were all the same color so that you wouldn't feel like having to pick them up? What is the appropriate number I should press?

I also am ok with repressing it because there are lots of people who email me that never got the earlier pressings.

I am sorry that not everyone is happy about this, but when you try to please everyone, you please no one.

Like I said before, I think it's great that there is a demand for this record. It was my second favourite release last year, so it only makes senses that more people enjoy it. A thought for the future would be maybe to do /1000 on one colour or something, that way if someone feels that they just have to have one, it won't break their wallet. This will also help retain the value of earlier pressings /500 and should help calm down the collector. Either way, it will still surely sell out. Just my thoughts.

agreed

Guest Admin

that is a good suggestion. i will try to do that with a future repress, the only way i wouldn't is if the band really wants more than one color. I don't see this being a problem though. Seems like a good compromise.

you are a smart man,

How many of you guys have ever said "Fuck I wish I had ______ record!" but it was out of print.

Virgil isn't tell you to buy it. He runs a fucking label, and a label's job is to sell records. It isn't to live up to the desires of a bunch of collectors who want stuff OOP so their records are worth more.

Fuck. Virgil is a guy who almost lost his business and had to move it into his house to keep afloat. VC has been successful now, and he's able to have an office again (I'd assume much to the happiness of his wife), but this is a guy whose spent years losing money trying to provide a service to music fans.

The fact that he's repressing the top selling record he's ever released is just good business and, outside of those of you who have almost lost everything you hold dear trying to do something you love, you should really grow the fuck up and quite bitching about this.

dude, no one was attacking virgil, i don't even think there is anyone on this site who doesn't like him, and i know that everyone appreciates what he does, but everyone has their own opinions about everything so there's no need to get so defensive

You not attacking Virgil isn't the same as no one attacking V. There are people who lurk here who have been on DF, and there have been people here who have been attacking him. I consider dude a friend from a dealings in the zine world and feel the urge to defend him when morons call him an opportunist.

Also I don't remember your comments, and don't care enough to go back and look, but why does someone defending Virgil make you want to tell that guy to chill out? Seems like a silly thing to call out. Either way I'm done.

I was hoping for a pressing of one of their EPs, that would be amazing... Either way I picked up these represses :)

Virgil's working on Beer Commercials right now.

Amazing, best news I've heard all week.