Overpriced vinyl

/\ ditto.

i think the only solution is for people to stop buying them, but as tom says, who the hells gonna stop? we all got insatiable appetites for vinyl - why else would we all be contributors here - so how's it gonna work? by joining forces as a collective and saying to whatever company it is - no, we aint buying.

but again, whos gonna step up and stop?

No one. People are greedy, myself included.

When we went in to recession i thought it might slow it all down, and prices would fall, instead it affected the good guys like VC.

unfortunately as vinyl increases in popularity and now that majors have realised that people will buy them prices are just going to increase, just like the endless amounts of deluxe edition DVD's,box sets and directors cuts that are about.

I can only recommend supporting the little guys and hopefully let them lead by example.

I think I'm going to stop buying overpriced vinyl. It's getting fucking ridiculous. For example, 30 dollars for a single fucking transparent red lp is bullshit. I could go on with the examples but I'm over it. Is there a way to combat this?

I guess it depends why it's overpriced. A record I was interested in is selling on amazon.jp new for $50. It just says limited edition. So I passed.

Personally, the modern record thing reminds of comicbooks in the 90s when overpriced hologram foil covers imploded the industry. Records are about music. On the other hand, I love 180g vinyl and don't mind shelling a little extra for it.

I realize I'm pretty far down the totem pole on people caring, but I have never once sold out of a record in pre-order so if anyone is paranoid about one of my releases, email me and I can hold records for you, especially if you are an overseas person and need to hold off to buy things.

I think a lot of it is hype and I think a lot of these records linger around for a while before they are sold out...well a lot longer than you'd assume.

I think I'm going to stop buying overpriced vinyl. It's getting fucking ridiculous. For example, 30 dollars for a single fucking transparent red lp is bullshit. I could go on with the examples but I'm over it. Is there a way to combat this?

d' you mentioned you fail me, jonnywreck ?

i didn't blame about the music of that album but i don't know why 1000+ copies of this album always ended over or almost 30 bucks on ebay.

i think it's really overpriced....

Guest markovianprocess
I was going to pick up all the smiths reissues but they would run about 25 bucks each with tax, fuck that

Morrissey has been saying online about how he doesn't receive any royalties from the sale of these new represses, so if supporting the musicians who wrote/performed the music is something you care about, I'd stay clear of them.

I think the obvious answer is if you don't like the price of something don't buy it!!

If you don't care what you spend then good luck to you!

I rarely buy US releases that cost $10+ because, as Tom said the shipping adds a ridiculous amount, it's part of the reason I started my distro in the first place, in the hope that other people would take advantage of cheaper/more local shipping!

Fortunately most of the new stuff I wanmt nowadays comes from sensibly priced labels!!!!

I understand not buying if you don't like it. I don't. It just sucks when an album you love is getting the repress treatment and it's got at least a 100% markup. It just sits there on the shelf until some geekie (no offense) picks it up. I dunno. The record industry wonders why they're failing, and the answer is as simple as embracing new/old technology and marketing it at a reasonable price. They're all worried about people stealing their music so they mark the prices up even higher? That's the stupidest and greediest logic possible.

You could always start your own label if that's something you fancy.

This is true, but I don't know how me starting my own label would lower prices of records I want. It's not like I start my label and suddently the majors or other bigger labels chop $5 off the price of LPs.

yeah, that'd turn buying a record you like a lot from $10 to $2,000.00

haha seriously my favorite label sells out of things within hours of announcing a pre-order it's called having a great product because they certainly ain't cheap.

if the product is good people will pay for it. Go into the VC cheapos section and tell me price has everything to do with it. At the end of the day no one wants a damn Casket Lottery 12" no matter how cheap. But I will gladly pay out almost close to 75 dollars for 2 copies of a record I am going to love.

You guys just need to start buying more stuff from sweet DIY labels like Underground Communique Records and Forge Again Records and you won't have this problem! Our overhead consists of closets, basements, offices and living rooms full of more records than we'll ever get rid of and angry girlfriends annoyed by all the stuff in their house. Hence the low pricing!

people should really try buying vinyl from places outside the US. Us Australians and im sure people in UK, Europe etc are the same, have to pay bucket loads of anything we ever buy. Most vinyl costs me between $30-50 Australian unless i buy in bulk to save on shipping but i cant afford to do that most of the time. When a cd would cost me under $20 its an expensive hobby

I sell LP's from my label for 7-10 dollars.

so.....feel free to buy reasonably priced records. they still exist

ive never seen a record that i actually wanted be 30+ dollars brand new when they come out. the labels and types of music that is gonna be over 30 bucks for a single lp new, are not the types i listen to.

ive seen plenty of them, but none of them are worth owning.

there are still tons of places that sell records for 7-12 bucks.

people should really try buying vinyl from places outside the US. Us Australians and im sure people in UK, Europe etc are the same, have to pay bucket loads of anything we ever buy. Most vinyl costs me between $30-50 Australian unless i buy in bulk to save on shipping but i cant afford to do that most of the time. When a cd would cost me under $20 its an expensive hobby

yep. and producing them is mega expensive too :(