What's the most you've ever spent on a record?

kylet

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my heyday, I would bid on things just to get them into My eBay because I was watching the maximum number of items already (then 100). So I bid $1,032 on a set of all 4 pressings of the second Minor Threat 7", figuring I'd be outbid. I wasn't. I paid. And I have all 4 pressings of the second Minor Threat 7"! Luckily I had the money so I didn't freak. But boy, did I learn my lesson...

$1000....holy shit!

a guy from a local board i post on was selling a 1st pressing a Minor Threat 7in. i can't remember exactly which one, but everyone on the board was making a huge deal over it. I don't think he ever ended up selling it.

I bought some OOP Elliott Smith records, and a Kid Dynamite record off him for a pretty reasonable price.

I spend $70 plus traded a few records for New Found Glory-Nothing Gold Can Stay. It was probably about $80-85 in all because the records I traded weren't expensive.

I almost spent like $170+ on Brand New-Your Favorite Weapon and NFG-Sticks And Stones on red/100 but I'm glad I didn't now. I got out of the NFG variant thing but I still want YFW.

The most I've ever spent on one record is $25.

It was Baroness - Red Album.

$30. i try not to spend more than $25 on anything, especially stuff on ebay. part of the thrill for me is getting stuff on the cheap side. where's the fun if you pay $100+ for a record.

my philosophy has worked well, as my wants have whittled down significantly and i'm saving a good sum on money in the process as well.

^This is my attitude as well.

Top 3 highest paid records for me:

1 - Steinways - aotu 7" test #2/3 - for $125

2 - Steinways - Rotten Pizza pack #14/15 - for $100

3 - Less Than Jake - Pie Tin $90 (but this has 7x 7"s so really i only paid 12 bucks per record)

Besides a few other tests, nothing has really gone over about 30-40 bucks. Most of my bigger records have been traded for, and i have been extremely lucky finding some rare things for super cheap.

I thought there was never going to be a day i would spend 100 on a record, it happened. Im glad i splurged on a few of those tests.

i bet you feel bad now that the steinways aotu 7" test is on ebay and will go for like half of that

hmm.....for my list.

$1000 nofx - liberal animation (burgundy)

$900 misfits - earth ad (clear)

some other records i've had that i paid well over $100 for

raggedy anne - s/t 7" (blue)

dropkick murphys - fire and brimstone 7" (red)

tiger army - temptation 7"

tiger army - temptation 7" (acetate)

tsunami bomb - mayhem on the high seas 7" (purple)

tsunami bomb - mayhem on the high seas 7" (test press)

plinky / tsunami bomb - split 7"

copyrights - aotu 7" (test press)

alkaline trio - sundials 7"

misfits - 3 hits from hell 7" (all 4 variations)

misfits - halloween 7"

misfits - horror business 7" (yellow)

misfits - night of the living dead 7" (black)

misfits - legacy of brutality 12" (red)

misfits - legacy of brutality 12" (white)

samhain - initium 12" (red)

way too many nofx records to name

$30. i try not to spend more than $25 on anything, especially stuff on ebay. part of the thrill for me is getting stuff on the cheap side. where's the fun if you pay $100+ for a record.

it's not like i enjoy spending excessive amounts on records, but sometimes its the only way to pick up albums i missed out on.

take lifetime for example. i was 8 years old when jersey's best dancers came out. it's one of my favorite albums now. that's an album i'd consider dropping a decent buck to own a first pressing of.

In Au$

Bronx II - $70

Atom and his Rockage 7" $27

Dynamite Rose VA 7" on red $25

And it was all around the time when the Au was looow, about $1US = 60c Au

That sucked, but glad to have the records.

it's not like i enjoy spending excessive amounts on records, but sometimes its the only way to pick up albums i missed out on.

take lifetime for example. i was 8 years old when jersey's best dancers came out. it's one of my favorite albums now. that's an album i'd consider dropping a decent buck to own a first pressing of.

It's not the only way to get albums you missed out on. You just have to have the patience to search through record stores, sale threads, record shows/fairs, etc... I've gotten countless records for cheap prices that sell for a whole lot more on ebay.

a couple recent examples,

I recently bought this from someone on vlv for $15ppd

http://www.collectorsfrenzy.com/Details.aspx?id=250496675391

I paid $2 for this at a record store in Philly.

http://www.collectorsfrenzy.com/Details.aspx?id=200367857240

I got this for $10.

http://www.collectorsfrenzy.com/Details.aspx?id=180354838313

Deals are out there, you just have to look all over to find them sometimes.

It's not the only way to get albums you missed out on. You just have to have the patience to search through record stores, sale threads, record shows/fairs, etc... I've gotten countless records for cheap prices that sell for a whole lot more on ebay.

a couple recent examples,

I recently bought this from someone on vlv for $15ppd

http://www.collectorsfrenzy.com/Details.aspx?id=250496675391

I paid $2 for this at a record store in Philly.

http://www.collectorsfrenzy.com/Details.aspx?id=200367857240

I got this for $10.

http://www.collectorsfrenzy.com/Details.aspx?id=180354838313

Deals are out there, you just have to look all over to find them sometimes.

you also don't need to own first pressings. believe it or not, but later pressings actually have the same songs on them.

There was one point I was rolling around in money and bought Brand New - Your Favorite Weapon for ~300 or so. I probably wouldn't do that again, but I'm not upset that I did.

YFW is mine too. I spent $200 on it back when we were getting $2 to £1 last year. If the exchange rate had been different I probably wouldn't have bought it as I was kind of sat on the fence for a bit about buying it then.