best show of the year that you saw?

Neko Case @ The Riverside Theater - first time I ever sat down through a whole show but it was an awesome performance.

Runner Up: Smoking Popes/Maritime @ Turner Hall Ballroom - Popes were in great spirits and the crowd was into it (which makes all the difference for a Milwaukee show).

I probably go to half Milwaukee and half Chicago for my shows. I didn't see either of those, but both venues are splendid.

I have only been to one milwaukee record store I think it was called Exclusive Co. Do you know any others?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 5 Nine Inch Nails shows during their Wave Goodbye tour this year.

The Chicago ones were awesome...but the Mansfield, MA wins top since I got to meet the band and do some hero-worship to Trent Reznor.

I wish I could've gone to at least one of these. Them, along with a few others (Beastie Boys, Rage Against The Machine, White Zombie and Tool), were one of my favorite artists throughout the early 90's while I was in highschool and the first time I went to college.

crazyest show i went to was definitely monotonix (check out their live videos if you can). the drummer was getting passed around by the crowd while sitting on his drum stool and playing a snare...

best shows would probably be the bronx or these arms are snakes, both playing at tiny venues (~200 people) and they were one off shows not tours, so they both gave it everything they had.

i saw baroness play in the basement of a bar at the beginning of the year, but i was just getting into them then, but if it was now it would definitely have been my favorite show for the last couple of years

all contenders:

Dead Man's Bones at Schubas

Tim Barry at Fest 8

Tim Barry at Reggies in April

Copyrights at Windy City Sound Clash 2009

108, Soul Control, Guilt, Split Lip/Chamberlain, disembodied, Threadbare, Bane, Trial (though they were a train-wreck at times) & Unbroken at Burning Fight Chicago

Explode and Make Up's 2 shows.

the Weakerthans at Bottom Lounge

Mustard Plug at the Metro, seriously.

Neko Case @ The Riverside Theater - first time I ever sat down through a whole show but it was an awesome performance.

Runner Up: Smoking Popes/Maritime @ Turner Hall Ballroom - Popes were in great spirits and the crowd was into it (which makes all the difference for a Milwaukee show).

I probably go to half Milwaukee and half Chicago for my shows. I didn't see either of those, but both venues are splendid.

I have only been to one milwaukee record store I think it was called Exclusive Co. Do you know any others?

The other record stores worth a visit are Bullseye and Rushmore. Unfortunately I do most shopping online since Atomic Records closed up shop.

Tim Barry at the fest was sick

the 2 shows i got to play with sick of it all because they are so damn good they make everybody else look like a bad high school band next to them.

saw a damn good souls show this year, which made me feel great.

propaghandi = retarded good live

on the local front, shout outs to Iron chic & the agent for putting on some killer shows this year

it's a toss up, this thread is making me remember some i forgot about.

Mono/Maserati @ Triple Rock was great, especially now that Maserati's drummer has passed. still kinda shocked he went out like that. this was probably my favorite show of the year.

Sleepytime Gorilla Museum/Dub Trio/Faun Fables @ Triple Rock. a well rounded and complex 3 band bill. probably the best line-up i've seen SGM tour with. glad to finally see Faun Fables too.

Cursive/Ladyfinger @ Triple Rock. right before Mama, I'm Swollen dropped. was an excellent show, great setlist. Tim was bombed and screaming his soul out onstage during every song.

Kylesa/Saviours/Red Fang @ Triple Rock. much better than their opening set for Mastodon earlier this year, one heck of a set. that said...

Mastodon/Kylesa @ Fine Line. Mastodon was greaaatt. best set i've seen them play since the summer arena tour with Slayer/Lamb Of God. Kylesa was kinda stale, no one gave a shit about them playing.

Pelican @ Triple Rock was great. really intense, hadn't played here in quite a while!

These Arms Are Snakes / DD/MM/YY @ 7th St Entry. despite all technical difficulties the show still came out ahead.

Isis @ Triple Rock.

Future Of The Left/STNNNG @ Turf Club. sooo glad to finally see FOTL. one heck of a show.

Arkaea @ The Rock. i don't know why but i liked this band alot live. album sounds like Fear Factory meets Linkin Park but the live show was great. too bad they were opening for Soil and Kittie! ha.

still bummed i've missed a few shows this year due to funds and not being in 'show mode'. gifts from enola!!!, murder by death, langhorne slim, william elliott whitmore, future of the left @ entry, la dispute, young widows (because they canceled!), mt. eerie, art brut, etc.

reunion shows, not so bittersweet.

The Get Up Kids/The Life And Times @ Varsity. seemed so half ass, i love TGUK and Matt Pryor barely puts himself into any of their songs. we drove to KS to see their last show with Lucero/Vedera years ago and THAT was definitely a great show but this was subpar. The Life And Times were plagued by technical difficulties but they were great.

Sunny Day Real Estate/The Jealous Sound @ First Ave. i love SDRE, i love the idea of a reunion, but i didn't love their setlist. their last 2 albums turned out to be my favorites and they played 1 song off How It Feels To Be Something On. booooo! The Jealous Sound were really awkward, i hadn't seen them in years and i was mostly there to see them. they are really at home in a small venue but the big stage and lack of crowd interest took alot out of them. this just can't top SDRE/No Knife before the break up.

Cannibal Corpse

Propagandhi

Anal Cunt three times

Drawing a blank right now. I honestly haven't been to all that many amazing show this year. Didn't seem like anything really memorable came to the MA area. I saw Stars of the Lid towards the VERY end of last year and they were probably the best live band I've ever seen period end of story, but Propagandhi was this year and a VERY close second.