Job Interview tips + advice

I have a job interview on Thursday and with each minute that passes I get a little more nervous.

Do you have any tips or advice?

I've Googled some things, but it's nice to see answers from you guys.

I have a short, neatly trimmed beard. Should I shave it? I really don't want to, my skin is easily irritated and I'd probably end up cutting myself. Thoughts?

Thanks VC!

do research on the position, clients, whatever type of job it is.

show up early

i always rehearse common questions, just to be on my toes. make notes on accomplishments or special skills that might put you above the next guy.

after you interview, grab a business card and shoot them a thank you email. you can find examples of what they should be like online.

But i guess im not one to talk, since i have been on 3 interviews since i have gotten laid off and havent landed shit yet. i just had a second interview last week so i still have my fingers crossed.

yeah, there has been a couple jobs i would like to apply for but they drug test and i would not pass.

if i smoked almost every day for years how long would it take to get out of my system? months and months, right? i havent smoked since new years eve, so its a start.

depends on your weight. a skinny, every-day smoker could get it out of his system in a few weeks. especially if you drink water/cranberry juice regularly and exercise.

I always make sure I don't have more than a single page resume but then again you got the interview so the resume may be inconsequential at this point.

Well technically you arent supposed to have more than 1 page unless you have had more than 15 years experience.

also have solid references at your old job(s), like your boss, ceo... that helps.

yeah, there has been a couple jobs i would like to apply for but they drug test and i would not pass.

if i smoked almost every day for years how long would it take to get out of my system? months and months, right? i havent smoked since new years eve, so its a start.

depends on your weight. a skinny, every-day smoker could get it out of his system in a few weeks. especially if you drink water/cranberry juice regularly and exercise.

Thats not me. haha, i havent exercised in a while, and im not skinny. I do drink alot of water/cranberry though.

Try to hide your nerves, they can tell when you are. Be confident in yourself, but dont oversell yourself. They dont want to hire someone who can take their position if they feel threatened. Its a thin line to walk to make them think you are the right person for the job, and to turn them off because you are too good for the job. Also, take the interviews with drug tests, why limit yourself assuming you wont pass it? There are products that you can take before the test to mask it. I dont know how well they work as I dont do drugs, but dont close a door before you get into it.

Try to hide your nerves, they can tell when you are. Be confident in yourself, but dont oversell yourself. They dont want to hire someone who can take their position if they feel threatened. Its a thin line to walk to make them think you are the right person for the job, and to turn them off because you are too good for the job. Also, take the interviews with drug tests, why limit yourself assuming you wont pass it? There are products that you can take before the test to mask it. I dont know how well they work as I dont do drugs, but dont close a door before you get into it.

most tests these days can detect masking agents in your piss or saliva. best bet is to just not smoke for an extended amount of time. drink a lot of water and cranberry as stated.

I had a friend who decided to get someone to piss for them (put it in a ziplock bad and taped to his thigh to keep at body temperature because they will test that right off the bat) and when he got the call to tell him he was clean, they also told him that he was preggo. haha just thought that was a funny story. don't have a girl piss for you!

I don't do drugs so I'm in the clear there.

Two people who currently work for the company have put in good words for me.

I've been a customer of this local company my entire life.

I don't have a lot of references, which could hurt. I find it odd using a current employer as a reference. My previous employer is no longer in business and I have no contact information from former managers.

I do a good amount of the hiring at my firm. I can't stand when a resume has typos. If you can't take the time to do that right, you probably don't do anything with care.

My standard ice breaker to get an interview started is "So tell me a little bit about yourself". One guy thought about it for ten seconds and told me he "was drawing a blank." I suggest not doing that.

this thread is great! good luck kirb! I just had a 2nd interview for a new job and tomorrow bodes to be a good day. be confident, know what you're talking about, know who they are, and when asked any question, take a second and repeat the question back to them to give yourself a few more seconds to think of an appropriate answer. so glad i took two HR classes

var ads = new Array("300x250-1.png","300x250-2.png","300x250-3.png");

var num = Math.floor(Math.random()*ads.length);

if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)

{

if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)

document.write('+':iohv3tlx]ProBoards Free Forums');

else

document.write('+':iohv3tlx]ProBoards Free Forums');

}

else

{

document.write('ProBoards Free Forums');