Kevin Smith=to fat for the sky

lostatsea

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried listening to that smodcast. Got 9 minutes in and it looked like there was still an hour and a half left. I had no idea he was such an egotistical asshole though. In the little bit I listened to he jerks himself off over how well he wears his wait for about a minute, spends two minutes complaining about how flights should be delayed just for him to sort out a ticketing issue that was his fault, and also says that he fits in one seat but always buys himself two.

I doubt it's enjoyable for them either.

Don't get me wrong, I hate being squished on airplanes, but I'm sure it's 100 times worse for the person who's obese because they have to deal with shame along with being squished.

Bad pun, but you reap what you sow.

Seriously, dude? Again, I think people like that have enough problems in society without you fat shaming them even more.

So no one is going to mention that he's making a stink about this because overall he's kind of right?

He fit in the seat comfortably with the arm rests down and didn't even need a seatbelt extender. I've been reading his tweets and he also mentions on either his return flight or the other one they put him on that they did the same thing to some poor girl and humiliated her.

I can totally understand if you take up the space of two seats on a plane, yes, you should have to pay for two seats. But Smith and that girl did not and it was apparently an abuse of their policy. It's not being enforced properly and that's what he's trying to call them out on. He's not suing them. Only demanding that they admit they were wrong and reconsidering their policies.

And people with large amounts of weight can't magically solve the problem overnight. Who's to say the large man or woman sitting next to you isn't taking the steps to lose weight? I also know people who have health conditions or take medicines (that they need to keep them alive) who experience increased weight gain. It sucks and it's sad that people assume they gorge themselves on McDonalds and sit on their asses all day. I'm not saying this applies to Kevin Smith or the girl, but just peoples' attitudes towards people they don't know in general. It's also ridiculous of people to bitch about it too because despite their size, they paid for their ticket and have every right to be on that plane if they fit in the seat.

I was never obese but as a kid I was made fun of for my weight and while I'm only slightly overweight now and have lost a ton of weight since I was a kid, I'm still sensitive about it. Kids are fucking cruel as shit and sometimes it sticks with you. Also seeing someone you care about nearly kill themslelf with an eating disorder (and almost developing one yourself)also makes you quite sensitive and thoughtful and considerate when commenting on someone's physique or appearance.

So no one is going to mention that he's making a stink about this because overall he's kind of right?

He fit in the seat comfortably with the arm rests down and didn't even need a seatbelt extender. I've been reading his tweets and he also mentions on either his return flight or the other one they put him on that they did the same thing to some poor girl and humiliated her.

I can totally understand if you take up the space of two seats on a plane, yes, you should have to pay for two seats. But Smith and that girl did not and it was apparently an abuse of their policy. It's not being enforced properly and that's what he's trying to call them out on. He's not suing them. Only demanding that they admit they were wrong and reconsidering their policies.

And people with large amounts of weight can't magically solve the problem overnight. Who's to say the large man or woman sitting next to you isn't taking the steps to lose weight? I also know people who have health conditions or take medicines (that they need to keep them alive) who experience increased weight gain. It sucks and it's sad that people assume they gorge themselves on McDonalds and sit on their asses all day. I'm not saying this applies to Kevin Smith or the girl, but just peoples' attitudes towards people they don't know in general. It's also ridiculous of people to bitch about it too because despite their size, they paid for their ticket and have every right to be on that plane if they fit in the seat.

I was never obese but as a kid I was made fun of for my weight and while I'm only slightly overweight now and have lost a ton of weight since I was a kid, I'm still sensitive about it. Kids are fucking cruel as shit and sometimes it sticks with you. Also seeing someone you care about nearly kill themslelf with an eating disorder (and almost developing one yourself)also makes you quite sensitive and thoughtful and considerate when commenting on someone's physique or appearance.

Never thought I'd read something so insightful and non-douchey on this board, +1.

Emergency exit rows are where it's at. In most planes, I try and lock in one of those, and if my FC upgrade doesn't clear, I know I'll still be comfortable. Plus, you know that no obese passengers, children or old people will be in your row.

Also, use seatguru.com. If your plane has a soft bulkhead (a curtain, or nothing, instead of an actual wall) that's usually just as good.

I think there are issues on both sides. I'll go on record and say that I like Kevin Smith just fine, and I think Southwest is a great airline and a great company.

KS admitted he generally purchases two seats. I can only think of two reasons why someone would do this: avoiding potential problems like this one, or selfishly to aid their own comfort (and possibly those around them). (I wonder how many flights I could have gotten on but didn't because Kevin Smith was flying that day too??) Can he honestly say that this wasn't in some way to be expected in some capacity? It's akin to bringing a carry-on aboard that is larger than allowed and hoping you get away with it. (I wonder how many minutes have been wasted at the gate to accommodate this? We don't need any more delays, KS. Or you too big carry-on people. Bags fly free.)

But I also must say that I don't find it particularly fair that people of stature must pay double the going rate to get around. Don't know if airlines could look into that and dedicate a small section of aircraft to accommodate? A couple of seats, maybe? (I see way more fat people on planes than people in wheelchairs and we make accommodations for them...)

Then there's the moral issue...do you accommodate something (possibly at an expense) that is pretty much universally accepted as being undesirable from a health perspective? Do you penalize it?

Maybe Southwest could have handled it a bit better. Can't get on their case since the only time I see their name in the media is on those fun commercials. Kevin Smith definitely could have definitely handled it better -- like how he handled Jersey Girl and Benifer.

like how he handled Jersey Girl and Benifer.

I laughed so hard at this that I got snot all over the computer. (I'm sick and full of mucus)

Yeah, I do think there does need to be a better way to handle larger passengers on air planes. I mean they already make a sets of larger seats on roller coasters, why haven't they done it on something like an airplane yet. It really can't be that hard.

I do think K-Smith's going a touch overboard. But who knows? Maybe him doing so will result in airlines' reevaluating policies and such. And if that's the case that's a really good thing.

Then there's the moral issue...do you accommodate something (possibly at an expense) that is pretty much universally accepted as being undesirable from a health perspective? Do you penalize it?

yeah, but society just HATES fat people. It has nothing to do with the actual health aspect - there are plenty of overweight people who are much healthier than thin people with good metabolisms who eat junk food all day.

Emergency exit rows are where it's at. In most planes, I try and lock in one of those, and if my FC upgrade doesn't clear, I know I'll still be comfortable. Plus, you know that no obese passengers, children or old people will be in your row.

Also, use seatguru.com. If your plane has a soft bulkhead (a curtain, or nothing, instead of an actual wall) that's usually just as good.

Who do you fly, dude? I'm platinum with Continental...flying coach is for suckers!

yeah, but society just HATES fat people. It has nothing to do with the actual health aspect - there are plenty of overweight people who are much healthier than thin people with good metabolisms who eat junk food all day.

Yeah, but fat people hate skinny people, so it is all good. :P

I disagree. We're seeing "larger" people in the media and society all of the time now. I just read an article this morning about plus size models in the mainstream fashion industry. It's undeniable -- we're a growing society, both literally and figuratively. Girls and women these days are far more voluptuous than previous decades and generations. More and more men are dunloping their belts and wishing they had a bro than ever before. As a nation, we're becoming a bunch of chubby chasers. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

People generally have issues with those that are obese and beyond. Fat people are alright.

And I have a shitty metabolism. That just means I have to pay a little more attention. It sucks, but I deal with it. It's no excuse.

I disagree. We're seeing "larger" people in the media and society all of the time now. I just read an article this morning about plus size models in the mainstream fashion industry. It's undeniable -- we're a growing society, both literally and figuratively. Girls and women these days are far more voluptuous than previous decades and generations. More and more men are dunloping their belts and wishing they had a bro than ever before. As a nation, we're becoming a bunch of chubby chasers. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

People generally have issues with those that are obese and beyond. Fat people are alright.

And I have a shitty metabolism. That just means I have to pay a little more attention. It sucks, but I deal with it. It's no excuse.

We're not seeing larger people anywhere. We have an obesity problem in this country for certain. However you rarely find overweight people in a light of anything but jovial and goofy. Certainly, not sex-symbols or portrayed as normal.

Normally you and I agree but I think you're dead wrong here. This isn't about weight, as previously stated Smith fit in a single seat just fine.

Yes, we have a weight problem as a nation, none of which is going to be solved overnight. And yes most folks who are heavy got their by sheer effort on their part. That doesn't change a thing about this specific situation.

Does anyone have a source other than something based on what Kevin Smith said? Has the airline stated that he fit fine into his seat because I just find it hard to believe that someone who travels often would go through the trouble of repeatedly doubling up on seats if they fit just fine.

And I don't really want to get into the whole america hates fat people debate, but to me the fact of the matter is that if a pilot chooses to enforce a policy on his plane then that should be it. My friend's dad is a flight instructor and has flown us to a few places and there is just so much that you would never even think about that these people have to consider, and to think that your opinion on flight safety is superior to someone's who makes a living out of it is asinine.

We're not seeing larger people anywhere. We have an obesity problem in this country for certain. However you rarely find overweight people in a light of anything but jovial and goofy. Certainly, not sex-symbols or portrayed as normal.

Normally you and I agree but I think you're dead wrong here. This isn't about weight, as previously stated Smith fit in a single seat just fine.

Yes, we have a weight problem as a nation, none of which is going to be solved overnight. And yes most folks who are heavy got their by sheer effort on their part. That doesn't change a thing about this specific situation.

But I said "dunlop" so we're still good.

And what about Mia Tyler and Anna Nicole Smith? They're both some beefy girls that have gotten a lot of attention...

We're not seeing larger people anywhere. We have an obesity problem in this country for certain. However you rarely find overweight people in a light of anything but jovial and goofy. Certainly, not sex-symbols or portrayed as normal

Seriously.

Also, just because you (drabley) can deal with your metabolism without gaining weight doesn't mean people don't have other real issues. Plus, what is it to you or anyone else if someone's fat? That's what I've never gotten. I couldn't care less if someone else is fat... what concern is it of mine? They get enough shit from other people, the last thing they need is added judgment.

I know this is about a "safety issue" (allegedly), but since it's gone into the issue of fatness in society anyway... people have so much animosity towards fat people, it's like, get a life, worry about your own weight.

EDIT: just because you can name drop two girls out of thousands and thousands in the media doesn't prove anything, haha.