I started a record label

kylet

Well, shit. It looks like no band will ever be able to record new music ever again because it is not financially viable.

Can you run that by the lawyers?

That's not what I said at all. I personally can't financially afford it at this point. I've been to a cheap studio, to sing gangs, that was about $100 a day. To put out a split with 4-6 songs on it, you could be looking at costs anywhere from $300-$600 in recording time. That's a decent amount to add to the cost on a run of 500 records for a small band that might have trouble selling all 500.

Yes I've created all the modern networking profiles (myspace/twitter/facebook). Is that bad?

im taking a guess that what with all the lawyering, rights buying, and pressing costs of broken rim 001 youre gonna be out a more than 3 grand when this bad boy finally drops

I'm definitely going to be out more then 3 grand after the release of my first record. Almost everyone who starts a business looses money in the beginning. I'm not expecting to make any money. At all....ever. I'm hoping to break even, so I can continue to put out more records. If I do make money great, but I'm not quitting my day job. Like I said earlier in the post, I've been a promoter in my town for about 2 years. I got a decent lump of money and thought it would be fun to give this a shot. I want to help some of my friends bands I've worked with promoting and put there stuff out on vinyl.

Man you guys are rough. Okay so maybe I made this post a little early, but saying you're glad I got hit by a car.....jeez. There's a handful of people who run DIY labels on here. Thought maybe a few of them would be interested. No, I don't have anything in the web store yet, I'm in the first steps, I just created the website with all the essentials. I'm sorry to everyone who got butt sore for me posting this. I'll come back in a few weeks when everything is finalized and those who are interested in the release (probably not a ton, hopefully a few), see you then! -Kyle

I'm in the process of buying the rights to my first release. The label that owns the rights to the music is working with their lawyers in the process of developing the contract.
I want to help some of my friends bands I've worked with promoting and put there stuff out on vinyl.

does not compute

That's not what I said at all. I personally can't financially afford it at this point. I've been to a cheap studio, to sing gangs, that was about $100 a day. To put out a split with 4-6 songs on it, you could be looking at costs anywhere from $300-$600 in recording time. That's a decent amount to add to the cost on a run of 500 records for a small band that might have trouble selling all 500.

usually bands pay for recording costs unless you run a moderate-sized successful indie label that can afford to incur such expenses and have cash money to front for recording and advances.

No one wants to put out an un-proven product.

Well sure, if you are dealing with people who are in it for the business.

If the label is in it because they love the music, they don't care about "an un-proven product." Fuck, I've never even used the word "product" in referring a band. Do you consider your band a product?

the thing no one will tell you about init records is that he locks bands in his basement when they stay the night

ive slept under that air hockey table, its not cozy

you CHOSE to sleep under the air hockey table. remember when i paid for your food the next day at fryn' pan?

servo is an ungrateful racist prick.

Just because you love music doesn't mean that is isn't a product. It HAS to be a product. There is no way to put out music unless you at least make enough to put out another release. If you dumb thousands of dollars into something no one likes, then whats the point? You might as well just burn the cash.

I didn't expect you to be bright enough to get it

come back and tell me it sucks when your in a band that get 5,000 plays a day and sells 500 records a month. Eat a dick. lol

5,000 plays a day? On myspace? Wow, that is amazing! I take it all back. The public has spoken. You will be the next Creed.

Just because you love music doesn't mean that is isn't a product. It HAS to be a product. There is no way to put out music unless you at least make enough to put out another release. If you dumb thousands of dollars into something no one likes, then whats the point? You might as well just burn the cash.

I've never released something with the goal of making money, I release it because I love the music and the band. the point of music and punk rock for me, isn't to make money.

And I really don't give a shit that you think my band sucks, come back and tell me it sucks when your in a band that get 5,000 plays a day and sells 500 records a month. Eat a dick. lol

[image]

god damn it

i cannot fucking wait until 10 years from now when youre working some way shitty job and telling your coworkers about how you almost "made it"

i also assume this future you will be full of self-loathing for all the "cash you burned" trying to make it

and i guess that visions good enough for my reply and i dont have to explicitly explain to you how fucking god damn clueless you are