I started a record label

kylet

I've been a promoter in Buffalo, NY for around 2 years now. I've worked with bands such as Fireworks, The Wonder Years, This Time Next Year, Living With Lions, and tons more. Over the summer I was hit by a car on my bike. I got a 3 thousand dollar settlement check. I used the funds to start an independent record label called Broken Rim Records. My goal is to help hardworking bands release their albums on vinyl. I'm going to be working with bands similar to the genre of bands that I've booked. I'm in the process of buying the rights to my first release. The label that owns the rights to the music is working with their lawyers in the process of developing the contract. I can't say too much until all that's finalized, but that shouldn't be very long. I'm hoping to have my first release out by the end of the summer. In the meantime, if you're interested, check out the website, myspace, facebook, and twitter. Feel free to advise, comment, or criticize. Thanks guys. -Kyle

http://brokenrimrecords.com/

Myspace:

http://www.myspace.com/brokenrimrecords

Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Broken-Rim-Records/265717558231?ref=search&sid=294100072.1727493294..1

Twitter:

http://twitter.com/BrokenRimRecord

Hey guys. Thank you for all the complements on the website and logo. They were both designed by Joe Piehler from Positive Approach. Takes forever to get shit done, but does great work at an affordable price. Means well, good dude.

Positive Approach Custom Screen Printing

125 Elmwood Avenue

Buffalo, NY 14201

www.positiveapproachpress.com

As far as the story goes. It's sooo fucked up. Long story short. I was riding my bike on the side of the road. That pissed off some some 50 year old man. He found it necessary to yell at me. I found it necessary to spit on him. I went on the side walk. He went on the side walk. He hit me. Ruined my bike. Got out chased me. Said hes going to kill me. I went to the hospital, He went home with out getting in any trouble. Court, lawyers, court, lawyers, more lawyers lawyers lawyers. I got 3,000 dollars. He still went home with out any trouble. I used that money as start up costs for something I've always thought about doing. That's the beginning of BRR. End of story.

As far as twitter goes. I have no idea how that works. I need to get with the times I suppose. Not to mention a lot of pop punk bands (stuff I hope to be releasing) has a younger fan base that is all over twitter.

So there's no releases, no bands to announce... but lawyers are working that out and you're talking about your label regardless. Very 2010. Good luck.

I have a release and a band, I just can't say anything until the contract is finalized and signed. I'm sure they just have a lawyer help them set up a properly worded contract so there's no loop holes in it. I made this post on here because I know a lot of the people that read this stuff are probably people just like me who would be interested. I'm excited!

How about releasing something by a local band that could use the support?

I live with some dudes in a hard working touring pop punk band. They've been in pretty successful previous bands. I'd be honored to release a split 7in or something for them. The problem with that is trying to get 2 touring bands for 2 different cities into the studio to record some new stuff. Not to mention recording time isn't cheap. If I pay for that, it effects the cost of the record. And nobody want's to pay more then $5 for a 7in.

PS: I had a +3 Karma when I started this thread. I'm down to -1. What's with all the hate?

listen lady,

im happy you got hit by a car or whatever and get to play music business because of it but get a clue dude. you bemoan the cost and logistics of bands recording and instead spend your money on an already released album? you want to help hardworking bands by shilling out bucks to another label? you start a million social networking pages and have nothing you can put on them? you have a webstore already set up with no tangible product?

im taking a guess that what with all the lawyering, rights buying, and pressing costs of broken rim 001 youre gonna be out a more than 3 grand when this bad boy finally drops. and given that its an album thats been out for a while im guessing youre probably not gonna recoup. and im also guessing that its probably a shitty album no one wants to buy anyway. but youll have a great story about how you played music industry for a while. and who knows, maybe youll get run over again some day and get to buy the rights to broken rim 002.

sorry im being mean but i have a small penis and cyberbullying helps me forget about that.