I started a record label

kylet

Just because you love music doesn't mean that is isn't a product. It HAS to be a product. There is no way to put out music unless you at least make enough to put out another release. If you dumb thousands of dollars into something no one likes, then whats the point? You might as well just burn the cash.l

Wow... This is either the most cynical or the most moronic thing I've ever seen said. Leaning strongly towards the latter.

And I really don't give a shit that you think my band sucks, come back and tell me it sucks when your in a band that get 5,000 plays a day and sells 500 records a month. Eat a dick. lol

Ummmmm... wow. If you were directing this at "themean"'s comment about your music sucking terribly, he actually does have more room to talk than you. I don't know if your band even has any physical records for sale or if you're all digital or dropcards or whatever, but "themean"'s old band is one of Ebullition's top selling LP's. I would bet you $10,000 that if your band actually made a physical LP, it wouldn't sell half the number of his former band's LP.

Also, you should be lol'ing at your tradelist... wow.

Just because you love music doesn't mean that is isn't a product. It HAS to be a product. There is no way to put out music unless you at least make enough to put out another release. If you dumb thousands of dollars into something no one likes, then whats the point? You might as well just burn the cash.

And I really don't give a shit that you think my band sucks, come back and tell me it sucks when your in a band that get 5,000 plays a day and sells 500 records a month. Eat a dick. lol

hey, it's not "RECORDS".. it's "UNITS" if you want to be in this business bra' you gotta learn the lingo. :P

Ummmmm... wow. If you were directing this at "themean"'s comment about your music sucking terribly, he actually does have more room to talk than you. I don't know if your band even has any physical records for sale or if you're all digital or dropcards or whatever, but "themean"'s old band is one of Ebullition's top selling LP's. I would bet you $10,000 that if your band actually made a physical LP, it wouldn't sell half the number of his former band's LP.

Also, you should be lol'ing at your tradelist... wow.

he was in AI? fuck.. i use to have one of there 7"'s

this is great

Yeah, it is. Anyone with a brain would realize that I'm not being a dick. I'm just making valid points. Sorry for thinking guys!

Valid in YOUR reality, buddy. Most of the people who're "being dicks" to you have actually been in bands that sold thousands of records or released more records through their labels than you ever dream of (sometimes both) so they most certainly don't know what they are talking about and should take advice from you the unexperienced Internet emo who knows everything about being in bands, releasing records, the business (but not DIY because DIY is just a means lazy assholes in local bands use to play gigs in their hometowns) and whatnot, right?

Please keep the lols coming.

Hey, if you want to put out some shitty band because you and only you love it, then burn some cds and call it a record label. It's much smarter than spending thousands of dollars to launch something you love, but may not believe in. The only point im trying to make is that you have to believe that what you love will have what it takes to keep itself floating. Once again, it's not about making ass loads of profit, but being able to keep your own project stable so you can continue to do it.

If you ass-holes are too stupid to realize that, then none of you should ever start a label. And if you do, stick to burning cds.

I don't know why everyone got pissed. It's just the facts of life. lol

I really love it when people who don't know shit about shit run their mouths. I've run a label for about 15 years now, and spent a good deal of that time releasing albums for small local bands that on the onset not many people cared about. And this was at a time when if an album failed it probably meant i wasn't going to be able to afford to eat, or pay rent. But i did it anyways because these were my friends, and i believed in them. We never made a ton of money, but we had a damn great time. Now some of those friends stuck it out and became more successful and we sell alot more records... and now i've had the pleasure of reissuing some seriously great album, some of which are my childhood favorites.

Not once have i dealt with a lawyer.

Not once have i had to pay "licensing rights" to get the rights for an album.

Not once have i reduced the work i love so much to simply a business with a goal to make money.. sure its nice.. but some of my most successful projects have been taken on almost assuming they'd lose money, but those are the ones you love the most, and push the hardest for.

and honestly... please no one quote bullshit metrics like myspace plays or album sales as a guide for choosing bands to sign... i sold 10,000 comps in 3 months on warped tour... had we been soundscanning... we would have been charting super high on billboard.

there was a label in Chicago about 7-8 years ago that signed bands based on purevolume play counts...needless to say, that label folded pretty quickly.

I'm sure they liked what they were putting out, but they were operating under the assumption that that if they did this the bands were going to blow up...and I can't even remember the labels name let alone any of the bands they did albums for.

there was a label in Chicago about 7-8 years ago that signed bands based on purevolume play counts...needless to say, that label folded pretty quickly.

I'm sure they liked what they were putting out, but they were operating under the assumption that that if they did this the bands were going to blow up...and I can't even remember the labels name let alone any of the bands they did albums for.

Little League/LLR Recordings, I'm gonna guess?

Little League/LLR Recordings, I'm gonna guess?

nope...it's on the tip of my tongue...i can't remember what they were called.