We Need Transparency (an open letter to Virgil)

Also silly is taking jabs at someone because of where they work.

Really?

I realize there are some people who just take any job they can get to support their family, but there is no reason to work at a soul sucking corporation like Hot Topic other than that.

We can make moral choices about what we do for a living. Why is that so hard a concept to grasp?

Really?

I realize there are some people who just take any job they can get to support their family, but there is no reason to work at a soul sucking corporation like Hot Topic other than that.

We can make moral choices about what we do for a living. Why is that so hard a concept to grasp?

I don't see how working at Hot Topic is an immoral choice.

I feel like everyone who tries to rationalize collecting vinyl says the exact same thing. The same phrases, the same wording, the same EVERYTHING. There's like a go to response now, "it's an experience, flipping the LP, dropping the needle, etc".

It's fun to listen to and fun to collect. Isn't that why we all do it?

I feel like everyone who tries to rational collecting vinyl says the same thing. "It's fun to listen and fun to collect."

I feel like everyone who tries to rationalize collecting vinyl says the exact same thing. The same phrases, the same wording, the same EVERYTHING. There's like a go to response now, "it's an experience, flipping the LP, dropping the needle, etc".

It's fun to listen to and fun to collect. Isn't that why we all do it?

I feel like everyone who tries to rational collecting vinyl says the same thing. "It's fun to listen and fun to collect."

I feel like everyone who tries to rationalize vinyl collecting says "I feel like everyone who tries to rational collecting vinyl says the same thing. "It's fun to listen and fun to collect.""

Really?

If you've never worked for Hot Topic, how do you know it's a "soul-sucking corporation"? What do you do for a living that's so great and life-fulfilling?

As for me, I don't work for Hot Topic, but I work for a similarly minded independent company that catches a lot of shit constantly from punker than thous. I also get to listen to music all day, go to shows for free every night, help out my friends' bands/labels and wear T-shirts and jeans to work.

It's downright soul-sucking, man. I'm fuckin' miserable.

Really?

Yeah. Really. I'm not really going to get into a debate over whether it's moral or immoral to work at Hot Topic. It's not like the guy is a hired assassin or the head buyer for WalMart and is putting companies out of business because they won't lower their margin. I will say that not everyone has a choice concerning where they work. Some people need a job and take that job regardless of what it is. Hell, maybe working at Hot Topic is rewarding. Would I choose to work there? No. Would I work there if there was nothing else available to me and I had bills to pay? You bet! Hell, maybe Travis really enjoys working for Hot Topic and finds it rewarding financially, emotionally and spiritually. It's not really anyone's place to make fun of that or use that as a means to try and belittle someone.

You seem like an intelligent guy who would be above taking a cheap shot at someone because they work for a company that doesn't cater to your tastes.

Really?

If you've never worked for Hot Topic, how do you know it's a "soul-sucking corporation"? What do you do for a living that's so great and life-fulfilling?

As for me, I don't work for Hot Topic, but I work for a similarly minded independent company that catches a lot of shit constantly from punker than thous. I also get to listen to music all day, go to shows for free every night, help out my friends' bands/labels and wear T-shirts and jeans to work.

Boy, that sounds just terrible. How do you sleep at night? Hahaha.

I work for a large international corporation. Very large. Some people could see it as "soul-sucking." They pay me an incredibly fair salary, I have amazing benefits, I get to travel both domestically and internationally with relative frequency and I pretty much get to set my own course. I left this job for three months for more money and a new experience and came back because I missed it and was fortunate enough to still be wanted back. I, too, am miserable.

Boy, that sounds just terrible. How do you sleep at night? Hahaha.

I work for a large international corporation. Very large. Some people could see it as "soul-sucking." They pay me an incredibly fair salary, I have amazing benefits, I get to travel both domestically and internationally with relative frequency and I pretty much get to set my own course. I left this job for three months for more money and a new experience and came back because I missed it and was fortunate enough to still be wanted back. I, too, am miserable.

Are you the head buyer for Wal Mart?

Reading the first page of this thread, skipping the middle, and then reading the last page is very humorous. It seems any debate of business practices and Vinyl Collective have been dropped for the same old debates about variant collecting and Hot Topic. It's like a running gag at this point.

This entire board has become sort of a running gag, but I just can't stay away.