What are your religious beliefs?

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the biggest issue is religion is exclusionary, and at least from my knowledge of the judeo-christian-islamic side of things, since they all share a good deal of the same origins, and thusly are all worshipping the same diety (save for the addition of christ/holy spirit on the xian side)... it seems really narrow minded that a merciful all powerful being would only choose to save a % of the population that is supposedly chosen, and just foresake the other couple billion who are probably leading morale lives, and weren't exposed to the same upbringing as the religion in question. It basically creates a paradox. you can argue free will, but you can't choose to believe in a god without being exposed to the dogma and doctrine... no one just wakes up and thinks.. shit i'm gonna be a hindu, without learning about the religion from someone else.

without getting into a heated debate, I can agree that 99% of religions are mostly corrupt, political or have their own agendas. I personally feel I'm in one of the very few organized religions that aren't trying to get something from someone and that doesn't have a personal agenda. Just my opinion
I'm only slightly hesitant because the last time I brought it up on a forum I was made fun of and then banned lol. Let's try to keep the flaming to a min.

I'm one of Jehovah's Witnesses

This is gold.

I don't think I have said anything about this yet.

I am in the process of reading it cover to cover. I got about a third of the way through and am taking a break to read "The Family" about the residents of the C Street House in DC.

I will finish the Bible, it just gets dull in parts (too much boring lineage, not enough action.) I don't have a problem reading things I disagree with, and there is plenty of non-objectionable platitudes in the Bible that I don't have a problem with.

Whoops! I'm sorry, I did it again, confused posters. I meant banned! Changing the original post now.
I But no matter what banned says, I just don't buy that someone who gets that infuriated by religion read the whole thing. That's such a big investment to read it cover to cover if it just enrages the person.

I didn't read it to infuriate myself, I read it because I was looking for God. I approached it with an open mind on more than one occasion.

Whoops! I'm sorry, I did it again, confused posters. I meant banned! Changing the original post now.
I But no matter what banned says, I just don't buy that someone who gets that infuriated by religion read the whole thing. That's such a big investment to read it cover to cover if it just enrages the person.

I didn't read it to infuriate myself, I read it because I was looking for God. I approached it with an open mind on more than one occasion.

was he behind the couch the whole time?

The onus is generally on the person proving something does exist.

Nice to see a fellow fan of Dawkins here.

Have you seen the bus adverts he "endorsed" in London? There is a video somewhere…

IMHO, as far as proponents of athiesm go:

Hitchens > Dennett > Sam Harris > Dawkins

(If you couldn't tell from my avatar, I love Hitchens.)

I believe in God because there's less of a chance of me going to hell as opposed to not believing in him which would just immediately send me to hell. It's a win-win situation. I may not go to hell and God has another warrior on his side.

I read the whole thing from cover to cover for the first time when I was ten. I've read it about eight more times since then, I'm 25. As far as what I live my life by I follow the teachings of Christ. He never said anything about gay people. I figure if it was really that important Christ would have mentioned it himself. Atheists should read the Jefferson Bible. Thomas Jefferson made his own gospels, it's all the actual teachings of Christ with the magic removed. As a book of philosophy it's pretty awesome.

Matthew 19: 3 And Pharisees came up to him, intent on tempting him and saying: “Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife on every sort of ground?” 4 In reply he said: “Did YOU not read that he who created them from [the] beginning made them male and female 5 and said, ‘For this reason a man will leave his father and his mother and will stick to his wife, and the two will be one flesh’? 6 So that they are no longer two, but one flesh. Therefore, what God has yoked together let no man put apart.”

You're right it doesn't mean a thing about homosexuals. It is saying two people connected by marriage are making vows to each other that are strong enough to affect blood relations and that accordingly they shouldn't get divorced over stupid shit. Christ used the only example that would have applied broadly in that time period. The idea that Christ is like modern christians who are unable to answer a question without thinking if it reflects their views on every possible angle is laughable. He was asked about divorce, he's talking about the only people that can divorced.

epicurus never said that, lactantius did, and then hume extracted that quote from lactantius' works

get yr facts right fool

But I believe in the quote, Lactantius is attributing those words to Epicurus.

Lactantius, Teleology, and American Literature

Eric Carl | The Midwest Quarterly | January 01, 2005

It doesn't really matter who said it, since the words themselves are the power.