Most disappointing records of the year

kyle

So what are your biggest disappointments this year? Could be a list of 10 records or just one, just list the biggest losers.

*Note, I'm not asking for worst records, just the ones that could have had potential but ended up falling short.

American Steel- Destroy Their Future: A lot of these songs sound like they were originally written as Communique songs and then 'punked' up.

Lifetime- Lifetime: It has a couple dingers on it, but for the most part everything sounds the same.

Rilo Kiley- Under the Blacklight: They wrote a disco record. It sucks. I used to really love this band.

Nine Inch Nails - yearzeroremixed - I know that it's always a risky move to remix a record. I am a huge NIN fan and have liked previous remix albums but this one was complete shit. Total letdown.

Pelican - City of Echoes - For some odd reason, a lot of the reviews and critiques on this record focused on the drumming...to me that was the least of what let me down on this record. It had not lasting power to me. I listened to it a few times and then that was it. I really enjoyed and listen often to the previous records...but not this one.

Fall of Troy - Manipulator - They simply blew their load with Doppelganger and tried to re-create it. Well, it fell short...way short. Too spazztic and unfocused...more so than needed. Two or three songs were good but overall the record disappointed me.

I liked American Steel and Lifetime

Off the top of my head, I was let down by the new albums from Motion City Soundtrack, Foo Fighters, Say Anything, and Against Me. I kinda expected it from MCS but not the others.

Yeah, this is obviously really subjective. I'm a big fan of the new Against Me!

i really didn't like the new Lifetime album when i first heard it. it really wanted to, but i just couldn't. ari's voice got all different, and it just didn't sound like what i wanted to hear. i guess i was expecting another Dancers, and instead i got this. but i eventually got really into it by spring/summertime.

to be honest, i love the Foos, and some of the songs on the new album are solid, but it just sounds like they're rehashing a lot of the acoustic disc of In Your Honor.

others worth mentioning:

Saves the Day - Under the Boards

Ted Leo/Pharmacists - Living with the Living

Kanye West - Graduation

Arch Enemy was a little disappointing...

Huge let downs were Atreyu, Avril Lavigne, Classic Case (only half the songs are good), EMERY, Fall Out Boy, the new Heaven & Hell songs, Job For A Cowboy, and Motion City Soundtrack.

My best albums of the year go to:

Between The Buried And Me - Colors

Municipal Waste - The Art Of Partying

Rush - Snakes and Arrows

I knew that most of them would be shit. I'm just saying that compared to their old stuff, these albums blow. emery's new album could have been waaaaaay better. I was also hoping that Sell Out Boy's new album would be good. Aside from Thriller and Carpal Tunnel Of Love, theres not much worth listening to on that album.

Bloc Party, Angels & Airwaves (I didn't expect much but it couldn't even get to "decent" on my scale), Motion City Soundtrack, Emery, Foo Fighters (definitely bummed I paid $20 for this thing, even if I got a free 7" and pint glass), Ted Leo (still great but not Ted Leo great), the Shins (soooooooo boring), the Hives (far too unfocused) and Jimmy Eat World (soooooooo bland).

Hey Scott (or anybody), what is the Ted Leo record to own? I've heard a couple songs and I enjoyed them, but never bought anything. Are they available on vinyl (and are they in print)?

His best album is The Tyranny Of Distance. The only one still in print on vinyl is his newest one, Living With The Living, on Touch & Go (the prior three were all on Lookout!).

Bloc Party, Angels & Airwaves (I didn't expect much but it couldn't even get to "decent" on my scale), Motion City Soundtrack, Emery, Foo Fighters (definitely bummed I paid $20 for this thing, even if I got a free 7" and pint glass), Ted Leo (still great but not Ted Leo great), the Shins (soooooooo boring), the Hives (far too unfocused) and Jimmy Eat World (soooooooo bland).

add Bloc Party to my list too....must have blocked it out of my memory it was so boring.

Living with the living and shake the sheets (teds last album) have both been pressed on vinyl and are pretty easy to find, don't think they did any colored runs. I've see living at both the record stores I go to here in my hometown, and shake the sheets usually goes for like $10-$15 BIN on ebay. hope that helps. Also, if you like living shake the sheets is sooo much better, just my opinion.

Hey Scott (or anybody), what is the Ted Leo record to own? I've heard a couple songs and I enjoyed them, but never bought anything. Are they available on vinyl (and are they in print)?

You'll get a wide range of opinions on this one and they'll pretty much be split evenly across Tyranny of Distance, Hearts of Oak, and Shake the Sheets. They are all awesome. I vote Hearts of Oak even though it has the worst production, which hurts the songs somewhat. I think Scott prefers Tyranny. And a lot of people here like Shake the Sheets. You seriously can't go wrong with any of them. If you like/dislike any of those albums, you're not going to feel much different based on the others.

Oops, I replied without realizing there was a second page

Guest kingbuzzo

I was really let down by the new Kanye West album. The new Foo Fighters is just boring to me and I wish Dave would break them up and do something else. As much as I defended it when it came out I'm not realizing the new Jimmy Eat World only has a few good songs and definitely is the same thing they've been doing.

Honestly I loved the new Lifetime album and actually really enjoyed the new Fall Out Boy. I loved TTTYG and hated From Under The Cork Tree but loved where this new one is going. Also, I was dissapointed in New Wave at first but it's grown on me. It'll never be as important as RAR to me but it's not a bad album.

Queens of the Stone Age- What happened

Dillinger Escpape Plan- when I want heavy I constant heavy, no breaks

Foo Fighters

Jimmy Eat World

In general a lot of the major or bigger label hyped records I bought were disappointments, smaller labels I feel put out overall better music, Gaslight Anthem, Drag the River or William Whitmore