what classic punk albums?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zero Boys - Vicious Circle

Bad Brains - Bad Brains

Minor Threat - Minor Threat

That Zero Boys LP makes every other hardcore record ever seem lame by comparison. But you can't go wrong with the other two.

Gang of Four "Entertainment"

Buzzcocks "Singles Going Steady"

Dag Nasty "Can I Say"

Naked Raygun "Understand?"

Singles Going Steady is awesome but grabbing the early buzzcocks studio LPs is a good idea too, don't want to miss essential songs like "Love Battery" " fast Cars" and more.

Anything from the Clash, The Ramones, Social Distortion, and Danzig era Misfits.

Don't listen to him, There is a big drop off in the quality of the clash. As far as A punk rock album you wan't The Clash's Self Titled and Give Em Enough Rope. London Calling is excellent but its really an epic rock album with influences from so many things, based more on melody and song writing than its predecessors. Definately a must have but for different reasons than the first.

The Saints - (I'm) Stranded

Radio Birdman - Radios Appear

The Damned - Damned Damned Damned

Black Flag - The First Four Years

Backed 100% What you listed is more Firstwave hardcore than Classic Punk.

As far as Classic Punk I would suggest the following:

The First 4 Ramones Records ( S/T, Leave Home, Rocket To Russia and Road To Ruin. End Of The century is great but the first 4 are absolutely essential.)

The Heartbreakers L.A.M.F. ( If you are into sound quality grab one of the various Lamf revisited LPs, the origional Track records version has a bad mix but it is gritty and charming in a sort of way, plus depending on where you are or how often you check ebay you can score them cheap (in the 5-8 buck range)

Richard Hell and the Voidoids - Blank Generation ( When you hear Vicious Circle by the zero boys you will love it because it is so different from what was being done by hardcore bands at the same time. You will love Blank generation for that same reason.) Richard Hell was in The Neon Boys and Television before being a member of an early version of the heart breakers after a creative control struggle with Thunders, Nolan and Lure he left and started one of the most under apreciated newyork punk rock groups.

The Boys S/T ( The Boys were considered the beatles of punk rock, ultra catchy, great songs and it probably won't leave your turntable for weeks at a time.)

The Dickies - The Incredible Shrinking Dickies and Dawn of The Dickies are amazing albums, One again catchy fast songs They cover paranoid on their first record (among other things)

Thats all I am going to list for now, hopefuly you soak this up then make a post in a few titles called "Protopunk and 70s garage rock" or "Powerpop: What should I get?"

Great post by kyleevanswastaken...great thread in general! 8-)

Add these (I like to consider these among the "classics" everyone has posted so far):

* Adrenalin OD - The Wacky Hijinx of AOD

* Germs - (GI)

* Verbal Abuse - Just An American Band

* X - Los Angeles

* Early Screeching Weasel at least up to MBH.

* MDC - Millions of Dead Cops

* Stiff Little Fingers LPs

* Suicidal Tendencies - s/t

Some more great records mentioned, I thought about alot of those (inflamable material, x ray spex, GI by the germs ) but I can't imagine this dude having the cash to track ALL of these down, we should come up with a consensus, by necessity and by area because the uk stuff was so different from the new york stuff and the toronto stuff was so different from the vancouver stuff. He definitely needs the Undertones S/T, not the original the re-release on sire with Teenage Kicks.

I will start with toronto:

Teenage Head ( Especialy their first LP and 7")

Battered Wives ( These guys had a cool poppy sound and the LP is definitely worth checking out even if you just download it.)

The Viletones - The screaming first 7" has been reissued a couple times so it isnt super expensive, you can get some of their stuff on CD and they have a Live LP that is super hard to come by (I was glad to find one with a bad scratch in the first song)

The Diodes - Once again way poppier sound than the stuff coming from the viletones but still pretty cool, (Download Tired of waking up tired, its a great track)

The Demics - A canadian music magazine in the 90s ranked their song New York City as the greatest canadian song ever in a reader poll.

The Forgotten Rebels - pretty awesome, some super funny and offensive songs, if you are into the whole PC thing you should stay clear of this band but if you are into sweet guitar riffs and clever lyrics you will definitely dig the song "Surfin On heroin"

What kind of stuff Came out of your area in the 70s and 80s?

Shit !!! there are so many....here are a few !

Misfits - Static Age

Bad Brains - S/T / Rock For Light / I Against I

Undertones - S/T

SLF - Inflammable Material / Nobodys Hero

Clash - S/T / London Calling

Damned - Machine Gun / Damned Damned Damned

UK Subs - Any of the earlier ones

Bad Religion - Any of the earlier ones

Ramones - 1st Four lps

Defects - Defective Breakdown

the list goes on & on & on & on & ......................................................

Buzzcocks - Another Music in a Different Kitchen

The Saints - Eternally Yours (probably the best punk album of all time)

Gang of Four - Entertainment!

Damned - First three albums

Ramones - First four albums

The Cure - Three Imaginary Boys (Yeah, it's as punk as most things mentioned, check out Plastic Passion)

The Dickies - Dawn of the Dickies (check out the Nights in White Satin cover!)

Sex Pistols - Never Mind the Bollocks

Redd Kross - Annettes got the Hits (it's really short, but really awesome check out Clorox Girls)

New York Dolls - S/T (kinda where it all started, check out Personality Crisis)

A few things I want to put down start verging into post punk / proto goth territory. The first Siouxsie record and first Bauhaus record are coming to mind. Check out Metal Postcard by Siouxsie, and Dark Entries of St. Vitus Dance by Bauhaus. If you dig em', go deeper. Also, the first two Tubeway Army albums are good, S/T and Replicas, but kinda coming up on new wave. For that matter, the first two Devo records are awesome. But like I said, these are punk, but verging on either early new wave or goth. But most people who like the punk bands mentioned dig these albums as well.