Whats the worst injury you've ever had?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of mine have been hand/finger injuries, and because of that I still get a bit nauseous whenever I see something fucked up happen to somebody's hand in a movie or on TV. I have no problem watching someone get decapitated or sodomized with a red hot firepoker covered in fish-hooks, but if I see a really nasty broken finger I get dizzy.

So, here we go.

I found a swiss army knife at my cottage when I was young (12 or 13) and was trying to cut something with it, but the locking mechanism on the knife was broken and it just slammed shut. The problem was, my right index finger was in the way. The knife cut right through my fingernail and took everything off on the left side of that finger above the last knuckle, including about 30% of my fingernail. I actually scraped the bone and it was exposed.

When I was 20, I had been working framing houses for a couple years, and managed to succeed in never shooting myself with a nailgun during that time. One day, I was nailing together a wall and the gun kicked back on me, but I was still holding the trigger and putting pressure down on it, so I ended up driving a 3 1/4" nail right through the middle finger on my left hand. I thought for a second I had nailed my middle, ring and pinky fingers together. The nail was buried up to the head into my finger, but I got lucky in that it didn't go into the bone. The worst part was pulling it out because those nails are not only serrated, but covered in a really strong adhesive that gets hot and sticky once it's fired.

The last - and worst - one happened while I was working on the assembly line at a GM truck plant. I got my right index finger (again) stuck in one of the tools, and it was so badly stuck they had to use pliers to grip my finger and break it in three places just so I could get it out of the machine. Once they finally managed to get it out, it was so bad everyone that was helping me gasped and one guy just went completely white. I thought for sure I was going to lose the whole finger but I got lucky and am actually only missing a small piece that isn't even noticeable unless I make a point to display it. I have a bit of nerve damage at the tip of that finger but otherwise it's completely fine.

I've also took a headbutt from a guy in a fight and put my two front teeth right through my bottom lip so they were sticking out the other side, broken three ribs snowboarding, and when I was 5 or 6, walked over a piece of plywood that was covering a hole in a deck. It snapped and I fell right though. An exposed nail cut my leg from my ankle just about to my nuts. I can't remember the number of stiches but it was quite a bit.

When I write it out like that, it sounds like a ridiculous amount of injuries, but I've always been pretty proud that I've never broken an arm, leg or wrist or anything like that. One of my best friends broke his femur and he's got a terrible surgery scar to go along with a metal rod in his leg. I consider that to be way worse than all the stuff that happened to me put together.

Mine are mostly hockey injuries:

A whole bunch of stitches in my face from pucks / sticks

At least 2 broken noses (my nose is not straight anymore and I can only breathe out of one side)

Broken left arm

Seperated left shoulder (still pops in and out)

Was it worth it??!?! No, not really.

i've broken a lot of my fingers, but when i was a freshman in high school i got appendicitis. it's actually a pretty crazy story. january of that year i had an intense pain in my lower right stomach area. i could barely walk, much less eat. so i went to the doctor and for some reason was misdiagnosed. they gave me penicillin to appease the pain and whatever else they thought was wrong with me. june of that year, the exact pain comes back. it's like someone is stabbing you with a dull, rusted knife and rotating it inside of your stomach. this time, i couldn't even stand up straight. i distinctly remember being slumped over on my kitchen table struggling to even eat a tiny bit of chicken. my mom rushed me to the emergency room and i was given an ultrasound. the surgeon said that if they didn't operate on me that night, my appendix would burst. a 45 minute procedure took over an hour and a half, and the surgeon said that it was the most infected and swelled appendix he had EVER seen.

this leads me to believe that i had appendicitis in january, and also again in june. apparently they used to give penicillin to sailors when they fell sick with appendicitis at sea because it would make the swelling, pain and infection cease until the ship reached land.

i guess this is more of an illness than an injury. oh well

nothing major, but i feel like it's far more common for boys to have crazy injuries than girls.

i broke my arm three times by the time i was 13, the last of which i cracked my elbow and had a cast from my wrist to my shoulder for a month. i am insanely klutzy.

one time i fell off my bike and ripped a large portion of skin off both of my knees and my right elbow. i walked onto my back porch with blood dripping off my arm and running down both my legs all over my shoes and socks. my mom sees me and the first thing she says is 'OH MY GOD ARE YOUR TEETH OK?!' granted, she did spend a great deal of money on orthodontics but seriously?!

i broke my radius and ulna just above my wrist at the same time as dislocating it while snowboarding, had to have emergency surgery on it straight away and another a couple of weeks later when it started separating again. not fun at all, was in plaster from my wrist to the top of my arm for 9 weeks. I went back to skiing after that, and since then i've broken my thumbs, had a green stick fracture in my shin and bruised a couple of ribs all while doing it. Broke my knuckle falling down some stairs while i was in school too.

i broke my radius and ulna just above my wrist at the same time as dislocating it while snowboarding, had to have emergency surgery on it straight away and another a couple of weeks later when it started separating again. not fun at all, was in plaster from my wrist to the top of my arm for 9 weeks. I went back to skiing after that, and since then i've broken my thumbs, had a green stick fracture in my shin and bruised a couple of ribs all while doing it. Broke my knuckle falling down some stairs while i was in school too.

don't you just love having your arm plastered into at a 90 degree angle?

I stabbed myself once on accident and it was a quarter of an inch away from my heart.

Another time while my boss at the time was being electricuted I grabbed him not knowing what was going on and was shot about 10 feet in the air and convulsed on the ground for a few seconds.

I don't know...Do those count?

broke my nose twice, had to get stitches on the bridge of my nose and got a small hair line or stress fracture, i forgot which one, in my left leg after getting hit with a fastball my senior year of high school. whatever it was it wasn't serious enough to need to be set or go beyond two visits to the doctor. i limped around really sore for about a week and used crutches for about two days before i got fed up with them and stopped using them.

i also smacked my chin on a brick staircase in my aunt's back yard when i was like 6 or 7. didn't need stitches but i still have a scar.

I took a dive off a waterfall in Mexico into a pool of water below. Didn't realize they drained the bottom pool so I landed in about a foot of water, head-first. Fucked up my chin and shoulder, but at least I'm not paralyzed!

Shit, that is pretty lucky!

Nothing too major with injuries, but a decent close call: I was backcountry snowboarding a few years back, shooting through the trees with reckless abandon. I stop at the top of a small drop (8 feet tops) with a quick right to continue through the trees, no biggie. The only problem was I was riding a new, larger board than what I was used to. I shoot down but down cut hard enough and the tip of my board hits a tree. I pull pretty much every muscle on the lower right side of my body and go flying head-first into a tree well. After lying in pain for a few moments I pull myself up and look around to see thick, jagged tree branches sticking out everywhere EXCEPT where I landed. If I had landed a few inches in any other direction, those things would have easily went through my head and my friends would have found me dead. Haven't done too much snowboarding since!

Some girl was all like "yo put your dick away" then the guy responds "wtf u a ho, u know u like it" and I'm all like "look at this cool guy". I then laugh, walk away and get bottled over the head. This guy tries to fight me and I get a bottle in the shoulder in the process. Apparently he had crazy roid-rage, ended up going to jail for a week or so, at which point his family sold the farm to bail him out.

Guest eriathomas

Worse I've had was twinsting my knee really bad skiing once. I fell in the mogals, and my ski did not release correctly and got caught in between two mogals as I was moving forward. I had to be taken down the hill on a sled, and use crutches for a few days. I'm suprised I've never broken a bone. I used to skateboard, bmx, and snowboard pretty hardcore for years and got fucked up a bunch, but never worse then a little rubbing alcohol could fix.