Franz Nicolay to join Against Me!...

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/AgainstMe

Against Me!: We're very happy to welcome Franz Nicolay out on the road with us! Starting with this next run of Europe dates Franz will be joining us onstage every night and lending his immense talents and presence to the band. For anyone who'd like to check out Franz' s music you can do so here www.franznicolay.com

I don't think I can get behind AM! adding keyboards or an extra person on stage...

i saw against me play an acoustic set on thanksgiving a couple years back. wifs opened for them. when against me played "pints of guinness...", franz came out and played accordian with them (while andrew was playing upright bass). to this day, one of the coolest concert moments i've ever witnessed.

I think this sounds fun. I always wanted them to bring a few horn players with them for the few songs that feature a horn section, but I'm sure it wasn't really practical. However, had I seen them with some random fifth member standing in the back getting no recognition whatsoever I would have been really bummed. Alkaline Trio had a fourth member the only time I saw them, standing in the shadows, playing the more complex guitar parts as far as I could tell. I've always kinda held a grudge on Matt Skiba for that... If you're going to bring extra members out on tour at least give them some credit.

So glad I saw Against Me 7 months ago when they didn't blow.

not that they do now

Are you so sure? New Wave really pushed the limits on what I would consider listenable. I saw their new music video and the song is pretty fucking awful. It's really nothing for them to be ashamed of, it's pretty standard that a band will start out strong and then peak at their 2nd album. Some bands continue strong after that but the vast majority will just get worse and worse.

• 2 weeks later...

Yea, I've said it before but you can't argue with their performance of the new songs. You can dislike the newer stuff if you want, but they play it very well.

When I saw them a month or two ago, they played a LOT of old songs mixed in, and they powered through them pretty hard and fast. The old songs were more about the words and just playing "loud and hard every night" and you can tell they're much better musicians now.