Racist Relatives

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate the term African-American.

i don't want to be referred to as white anymore. instead, i want to be classified as german-polish-irish-english-welsh-american.

Mutt?

I mean i'm half native american but i don't look like it at all, except for the fact i can't grow a beard to save my life.

i don't want to be referred to as white anymore. instead, i want to be classified as german-polish-irish-english-welsh-american.

Mutt?

I mean i'm half native american but i don't look like it at all, except for the fact i can't grow a beard to save my life.

if people ask me what ethnicity i am, i usually say heinz 57, or euro-mutt.

Wait, whats wrong with the term coloured people?

For real? Take a stroll through the Civil Rights Museum in Birmingham; may shed some light on the situation for you.

Really, I fail to see the need to refer to anyone by their "color" unless it has something to do with criminal activity, and only then as a physical trait to identify a given suspect.

Most every other ethnic group is identified by their nationality: Mexican; Cuban; Italian; Brazilian; Chinese; etc; and not by the color of their skin. That said, I can see why it pisses people off to be referred to by their skin tone.

Wait, whats wrong with the term coloured people?

For real? Take a stroll through the Civil Rights Museum in Birmingham; may shed some light on the situation for you.

Really, I fail to see the need to refer to anyone by their "color" unless it has something to do with criminal activity, and only then as a physical trait to identify a given suspect.

Most every other ethnic group is identified by their nationality: Mexican; Cuban; Italian; Brazilian; Chinese; etc; and not by the color of their skin. That said, I can see why it pisses people off to be referred to by their skin tone.

wouldn't it be cool if people realized we're all humans and part of the same species as opposed to putting everybody into a box.

the was a question and a statement.

wouldn't it be cool if people realized we're all humans and part of the same species as opposed to putting everybody into a box.

the was a question and a statement.

but we're not all the same. some races have more devloped brains than others.

Just remembered why I hardly come here.

If you find racial slurs or gay bashing or misogyny offensive and don't like seeing it in your online community you apparently take everything way too seriously. For what it's worth Hubleybomb, I kind of agree with you. If anything makes you feel the least bit uncomfortable here, you're wrong. Yay conformity.

Whoops.

There's a few really great people who keep me coming back.

And for the final thing I'm saying in this thread I am mixed races. My one uncle's kind of racist and it really fucking pisses me off. I avoid him at all costs. As long as his ignorance doesn't steep down to my cousins I really have stopped caring. The old racists are lost causes. It's passing that bullshit down to their children that enrages me.

I just found out my grandparents are against interracial marriages. Never would have guessed. Really bums me out because they're great people.

As for using "the N word" (in a quote, for crying out loud), oh brother. Slurs are definitely not acceptable words to use, but when you're having a dialogue about the issue of racism I see no point in dancing around it. You're talking about the word nigger. The Louis CK video that podface posted is apropos.

I've found my best defense against my ignorant relatives is just to stare at them directly in the eye and not say or do anything when they make off color comments. They begin to feel awkward and back away, knowing I don't approve of their words. It works wonders.

My favorite excuse, employed by my mom is the "it's how I was raised" excuse. My mother's side of the family is extremely critical and demeaning towards many social and ethnic groups. I like to reply to her/them "that's how I was raised, too, but I'm not a backwards thinking monster like you". I fit in real nice with my family, if you can tell.

Just remembered why I hardly come here.

If you find racial slurs or gay bashing or misogyny offensive and don't like seeing it in your online community you apparently take everything way too seriously.

There's a few really great people who keep me coming back.

that's not true, i take my gay bashing, racial slurs, and misogyny very serious. that's what my colored lesbian bitch of a mother says at least. :P

we had a woman that use to volunteer for us that would somehow play the race, gender, sex, and handicap card against anyone she felt fit. Mostly to get her way. We use to have bets on which card she'd pull at any given time. I know this doesn't have anything to do with this thread, but i figured i'd just throw that out there for no apparent reason. I like to confuse people with my ramblings.

the school district i attended prided itself on it's 'diversity' (read: we have 40% 'minority' students, 95% of those minorities being black). there were clubs you weren't allowed to be in unless you were black. there were scholarships from the school you could only receive if you were black. when i went to college i had what i like to call reverse cultural shock, because there were probably literally 20 non-white students on a 2000 student campus. some of the kids there thought i was racist when i told them about my high school and expressed frustration at the inequality. if i wanted to start a club exclusively for white students (not that i wanted to), that would be a definite no-no and i would be branded a racist. why is it that minorities can start groups that i am barred from joining? that's not equality; that's just reverse racism.

the standards for being a national merit scholar are lower if you're a minority. then you can be a 'national achievement scholar' and still get your photo on the wall with the rest of the national merit scholars. if i was a minority student, i would be deeply offended by this. it seems to me that they're more or less implying that they can't do as well as non-minority students and therefore the standards are lowered. (you can only imagine how i feel about affirmative action, despite being a female)

i am well aware that it's not like this everywhere, but where i was raised, reverse discrimination was rampant.

Buffalo Public Schools are, I believe, literally the most segregated schools in America. I've never come across examples like you have where white students are barred from groups or any other group excluded, but somehow the schools work out to be almost exclusively minority or exclusively white, so it's barely an issue.

There was a kid a few years ago who grew up fairly well off, a white kid, and he wanted to experience being a minority, so he went into one of the "black" schools where he was one of a handful of white kids. It got him a huge scholarship as he wrote about his experiences and his motivation and all\, not that he needed the scholarship.

yeah, two of the neighboring districts here are divided like that. central dauphin and central dauphin east. the line is controversially drawn so that the great majority of the students at cd are the affleunt white families, and cd east is known to be 'gangster' in comparision. they're talking about re-districting and changing the line and all the rich white people are in an uproar over it because they don't want their school infiltrated with the city kids.

can i add that for some reason its still socially acceptable to slur the Irish and no one loses their shit about it?

Jesus Notre Dame's mascot is a drunk guy fighting.

not to mention terms like paddy wagon, gypt, irish twins, ginger etc.

i want some damn scholarship money for the hardships my family had to deal with!