ATTN: People who are married

We found music we were into but that people would dig. Lots of Motown stuff and things before mainstream music got shitty. Our song is "Your Song" by Elton John, it's a bit cheesy but it stems from a real sentimental moment my wife and I had in a Denny's at 2am (no joke). Other songs we got in were:

Sexy back -Justin Timberlake

Baby Got Back - Sir Mix-A-Lot

Super Freak - Rick James

Though I did ultimately lose the battle to get "we Came to Dance" by Gaslight Anthem in the mix. We wanted to make sure there were songs we liked, for example when we were having dinner and the DJ started with some Kenny G shit my best man straight went up to the guy and told him that we didn't request that and to not play it. Lots of Sinatra, lots of the Four Seasons, no "Celebration", no Brian Adams, no crap.

We had tons of classic rock and oldies/motown, lots of danceable stuff (for the ladies), and a few indie/punk songs mixed in. We burned a few CD's for the DJ, but he had a pretty large collection of the more mainstream stuff as it was.

The only rules we gave him were to play NONE of the following: "Chicken Dance," "Macarena," "YMCA," "Celebrate." Oh, and no Country.

The highlight of the night was "Bohemian Rhapsody."

We had a jazz band. I started searching for one pretty much right after we got engaged and was able to find one out of New Orleans/Baton Rouge that was perfect. Everybody loved it, which kinda surprised me. I figured that after the first dance, it would have served mostly as background music, but people really got into it.

If you have a choice, I say definitely go with a live band over a dj.

See we wanted to make sure it was something we like and enjoyed but I also know how awkward it can be when I'm playing my music and no one else likes it. It wouldn't have been a ton of fun to be out there with my whole family sitting around all uncomfortable.

Definitely don't play what everyone else would like but you'd hate but don't stick to Defiance, Ohio and Bomb the Music Industry!.

Well, my friend from college (actually my old roomate) was tagged as the DJ and I gave him free reign to play whatever he wanted to. While we made some requests (first dance was to 'Hallelujah' by Jeff Buckley) we left the rest up to him. It was a great time.

You really have to cater to the guests quite a bit at the reception. Remember, if they're having fun then you're having fun. Hell, I couldn't tell you any of the other songs that were played. It's a whirlwind and you'll be much more focused on your wife and your family than the music played in the background.

However, as a little gift to our guests we burned a CD for each one of them with our favorite tracks on it. It was mostly sappy love songs (or at least love-themed) but it was certainly in our style. We got a lot of great compliments on it and even had to burn some CDs for old relatives that seemed to love Portishead, Buckley, and Muse.

I think the point is to make everyone happy and make sure everyone has a good time. When I was completely shitfaced I think it would have been cool to do a whole sing along to HWM's Rooftops but it was cool enough to have my whole drunken wedding party, parents and so forth screaming along to Bon Jovi's Living on a Prayer.

We had a list of about 100 or so songs that would fall under the "punk" catagory, and a list of about 70 or songs that we did not want to be played. Then we left it up to the DJ to play whatever else. He actually did a great job and knew some of the songs we had chosen.

that seems like a good way to go and even lets a good DJ do his job.

my wife and i chose 'magical colors' by jon spencer blues explosion as our wedding song. we then did a 3xCD mashup for the reception which included a lot of blues explosion, pearl jam, elvis, green day, new bomb turks, von bondies, tea party, primus - all the stuff we were into at the time. we also threw in some moloko and stuff for dancin'

it was an awesome musical night!

although the older folks were a bit annoyed by the end of it...