PO: Torche: Songs For Singles LP

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Packaging is different. Kind of cool idea. Probably sounded awesome when discussed, execution leaves a lot to be desired.

Songs are good, but not quite was I was hoping for. I thought I read that they were going back to an earlier sound after Meanderthal so I was hoping for the heaviness of the first 2 records. The songs are catchy and are probably awesome and fun live. Im sure the record will grow on me.

Worth the money I paid? Probably not. I did however get the the Teal and it is Torche so I would have bought it no matter what. Let's hope that the next record is maybe on a different label. There is nothing about this record that is a must buy for the occasional Torche fan. Download the tracks first and decide. I would have liked this a lot more if it was a $12 record with better packaging. Robotic Empire, please do a proper next release for these guys. HH have really been blowing it lately.

The ultimate OCD guide to opening Torche's - Songs for Singles:

1. Boil some water in a kettle

2. Let it cool down a bit, you don't want to ruin the vinyl inside with the heat of the water. The water needs to be just hot enough that it will steam.

3. Hold the glued part of the sleeve over the steaming water for 20 secs, then let your sleeve cool down again, you don't want to bend your vinyl.

4. Slide in a butter knife GENTLY in between the glued parts, preferably not with the sharp side, and test if the glue has softened. If not repeat step 3) about 4 to 4 times. The paper takes a while to get moist enough, but when it is, it will open surprisingly easy, so be patient!

5. ???

6. Profit

See image for perfectly opened sleeve.

[image]

Packaging is different. Kind of cool idea. Probably sounded awesome when discussed, execution leaves a lot to be desired.

Songs are good, but not quite was I was hoping for. I thought I read that they were going back to an earlier sound after Meanderthal so I was hoping for the heaviness of the first 2 records. The songs are catchy and are probably awesome and fun live. Im sure the record will grow on me.

Worth the money I paid? Probably not. I did however get the the Teal and it is Torche so I would have bought it no matter what. Let's hope that the next record is maybe on a different label. There is nothing about this record that is a must buy for the occasional Torche fan. Download the tracks first and decide. I would have liked this a lot more if it was a $12 record with better packaging. Robotic Empire, please do a proper next release for these guys. HH have really been blowing it lately.

Just wanted to chime in on this and say a few things. First off, thanks for the few compliments in relation to Robo that I've read... while we'd absolutely love to keep working with TORCHE on new records, they basically got "too big" for our label... and them going to Hydra Head was actually initiated by us. HH may do things differently than what some people want, but that's exactly why we love them. They're not afraid to ruffle some feathers, and do a damn good job promoting their bands. that's what TORCHE needed and still needs.

That's another thing: pushing this release, promoting it properly and putting it into production definitely wasn't cheap. They hire good folks for PR (which helps get all those reviews/features/etc), have probably run ads and I imagine recording this wasn't a small expense either....

so if the packaging maybe seems a bit lackluster for how much it costs to the customer in the end, there's a lot more going on behind the scenes than just pressing up some vinyl. in the past, CDs were able to absorb a lot of those extra expenses (since CDs cost so freakin little to manufacture it were still quite profitable even after absorbing expenses), but with CD sales nearly null and void, some releases now probably have the vinyl addition absorbing some extra costs, which in turn probably drives up the price a bit. long story short: i doubt anybody's making boatloads of this... but even if they ARE, then it's a hard-working band and label getting to see those hard-earned bucks.

keep in mind, i speak on nobody's behalf and this is just an educated guess in the end.

personally, I'm glad the band and label are trying something different. whether it works or not is debatable, and that's great. actual discussions about the release is more than most conjure. besides, to constantly try to "outdo" your last release, be it songs or packaging or whatever, can just lead to frustration. plus it gets boring to constantly repeat yourself. so it seems like they didn't really worry about it all too much and just did what they wanted. and the old HH mantra applies now more than ever: "don't like it? don't buy it". its as simple as that.

As for my reactions in this thread, it was only because I love this band so much. I get excited for records to come out from time to time but when a Torche record comes out, I lose my shit. It's always the most anticipated release for me so I always have high expectations.

After listening to the record many many more times I think it is a good record. It makes me anticipate a full length even more. The packaging is still sort of whatever. I like the greeting card idea and I guess when all is said and done, what everyone wanted done came to fruition. I guess I didn't really take the PR stuff into consideration as far as cost goes. It's actually funny that you said that though because hardly any of my friends I have mentioned this record to actually knew it was out already.

Anyway, my initial reaction was frustration about the whole thing, but as described before it is because I love this band so much and expect a lot. Maybe that's a fault of mine but they always deliver.

I can't wait to see the dudes this friday and saturday. If anyone is going, come say hi.

And ROBODOGS...I want the fucking Floor tape.

Thanks for the insight from robotic.

I'm the last to bitch about the price and the music is great no complaining about that from me. :)

The following is just a collection of points to add to the price discussion that could have been done better:

In terms of PR: what circlingvultures said. But also PR is a tricky field, you can literally burn millions without reaching the right people.

According to HHs own blog entry, the making of the video cost $140 (including the wrap bbq). It is a funny one though, silly funny. You'll surely not forget that tongue. :D

The high price has been bad PR for HH, even the German mailorder Flight13 is saying in their catalog (almost apologizing) that they are not to blame that the price is so high.

About the packaging, can't top the Meanderthal release for sure. But it is always worth trying. I have to admit it was an original idea, but who associates something expensive with a greeting card? At least not with that slightly raunchy "artwork".

We surely don't know the spreadsheets behind the price calculations here and damn, the band deserves to get some extra bucks (which they hopefully are) so they can make a living from their music and deliver more awesome tunes in the future. This post is not to be read as a rant but rather as suggestions to take into consideration when it comes to future releases.

Last night Torche had all their records, shirts and a silk screened poster for $15. The poster is a journey rip off design and also available as a shirt. My friend bought the new record and got a white copy and he also bought the Boris split and got black.

Kylesa had 2 silk screened posters. One for the last record and one for the new record. I think they were $30 each. Also had some belts, download cards for the new album and shirts. I think they had one hoodie design as well.

High on Fire have 4 records with them plus shirts and I think a hoodie. Also had a stash tin, ash tray and something else that I am forgetting.

Anyone go to the show last night?

Well Rick and I shared some beers and had a solid conversation about everything from the Florida scene in the 90's to Torche releases and record labels to touring and health care. The dude has always been straight with me and I love him for it. I certainly do wish I hadn't acted out so vocally right away towards this record but as I mentioned before, love for the band got the best of me. There is a lot more involved in things then I thought. I have been buying HH releases for many, many years and will continue to support them. I might not agree with everything they do but at the end of the day they are putting out quality releases by bands I love. If anyone from HH reads this board, I do apologize for my hostile comments. It's all love.

Andy you have been killing it on releases for many years now. I love what you do for heavy music and I appreciate yourself and your label. Thank you.

If this tour is coming your way please, please, please go see it. Three ultra heavy bands just killing it night after night. My ears are ringing and I've got Metallica neck. High on Fire was the best I have ever seen them last night. Ifi didn't have to work tonight I would have driven to Mass to see the show.

Anyway thats my rant. The new Torche songs are really good live. I'm about to go spin the record right now. Got myself the letter opener they have with the new record. Also I guess they have some of the last copies of the Torche/Boris split with them so go pick it up!

I was actually looking at the packaging again the other day and I think my inner record-nerd collector over-reacted, too. I never like when my jackets get damaged, but when you think of it as an envelope that a card (and record) comes in, it makes sense that you would open it like a letter. And like I said, I cut mine across the top very carefully with my knife like I would use a letter opener. And now I think it's kind of cool.