the great mac vs pc debate!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i think saying it's almost double the cost is exaggerating. today i went onto the dell website for shits and giggles and tried to replicate what i just ordered in imac form to see how much i over paid, and by the time i got everything relatively similar (my monitor is 27", while dell only offers up to 24"), it was only around $300 less, which is maybe a 15% price difference.

Sorry to double post but if you're going to get a PC, especially a desktop, and you're using the price argument, a pre built machine is not how you're going to do it. If you want a cheap machine, which is what this exchange here is about, you'd build one(it's not as hard or scary as it sounds, you can't really break anything). Then the double statement would be accurate

I have a feeling that making your own all-in-one isn't all that simple.

Hard drive space isn't memory that affects performance in any way shape or form.

I would have to imagine it has a small impact on performance...at least a lack of it does. The reason I say this is because a few years back a desktop (Apple G5) in one of the recording studios at school had less than 5 gigs of HD space on it (before I donated an external HD to the school) and it ended up not working at all and needed to be repaired. I imagine other factors played a role, but I would say the near-full drive played some small part.

Public computers, especially macs, are often subject to vandalism, and take abuse from people who don't know what they're doing. A Mac likely does not need five gigs for system operation.

It really is. Honestly it's just using cables to connect things to a motherboard(I know this all sounds scary, but it's honestly no harder than hooking something up to a television) and screwing some shit in. A little more than that, and then you install your OS, and you're good to go.

To be perfectly honest, I've never once seen an all-in-one case for sale. Obviously if such a thing is available, then it is perfectly possible to easily make one yourself. (Though it sounds awfully scary ::) Dumbass)

yyeeaahhhhhh, the whole 'it's easy to build a computer' thing doesn't sound that plausible to me. i'd have no idea where to start with parts. i don't know what's good and what's not or what any of that computer technical stuff means. i wouldn't feel comfortable at all putting it together based on instructions that i found on the internet, either.

pretty sure if it was that easy, a lot more people would be saving tons of money and doing it themselves.

yyeeaahhhhhh, the whole 'it's easy to build a computer' thing doesn't sound that plausible to me. i'd have no idea where to start with parts. i don't know what's good and what's not or what any of that computer technical stuff means. i wouldn't feel comfortable at all putting it together based on instructions that i found on the internet, either.

pretty sure if it was that easy, a lot more people would be saving tons of money and doing it themselves.

Allison is right, no novice should be building a computer. It makes sense to tech people, but some of the most basic things would confuse a "normal person." Saying building a computer is easy is like her telling me "photography is easy, just push the button and take a picture!" When there is so much more to it than that.

I don't really like to debate PCs and Macs. I kind of thing anyone who does is an idiot. Use what you like, use what you can afford.

I will say this though, Windows 7 is the best OS on the market. OS X feels dated lately and Apple is kind of leaving it behind in favor of iOS devices.

Ever since apple made the switch to Intel the only thing really differentiating between a dell/hp/whatever and a mac is the OS itself. Some standard pc hardware, a snow leopard disc and a couple custom written drivers and you have a Hackintosh.

I want to build one of these so bad just to see if I can do it. Just haven't had the time.

Allison is right, no novice should be building a computer. It makes sense to tech people, but some of the most basic things would confuse a "normal person." Saying building a computer is easy is like her telling me "photography is easy, just push the button and take a picture!" When there is so much more to it than that.

I don't really like to debate PCs and Macs. I kind of thing anyone who does is an idiot. Use what you like, use what you can afford.

I will say this though, Windows 7 is the best OS on the market. OS X feels dated lately and Apple is kind of leaving it behind in favor of iOS devices.

my sister got a really nice dell laptop when she graduated (it even has leather on it. wtf.), and though i haven't really used it, from what i've seen, windows 7 looks pretty similar to os x. all the commercials i've seen tout 'new' features that have been standard on macs for awhile.

obviously i use a mac for art/photo related reasons (and cuz i think it's just a cleaner, prettier os, and i'm not gonna lie; aesthetics are a big deal for me), but i can definitely see where a pc would do the job for most people.

I still don't understand why people buy direct from the manufacturer. I mean, I understand wanting to customize, but if you look through TigerDirect or NewEgg, you can find some pretty high end prebuilts for cheap. I was just looking and for the same price as the lowest end 21" iMac, i can get this computer and this monitor which is pretty mindboggling. So saying Macs aren't a lot more expensive now is still funny to me. I mean, I'm biased since I'm a PC guy, but I don't hate on anyone who uses Macs unless they're high and mighty about it. Whatever, really.

obviously i use a mac for art/photo related reasons (and cuz i think it's just a cleaner, prettier os, and i'm not gonna lie; aesthetics are a big deal for me), but i can definitely see where a pc would do the job for most people.

I agree. Basically...if you are a gamer...you should use a PC...if you work in the art world...you need a mac.

huge mac user. their organization and file systems fit me perfectly. I haven't used windows 7, but I feel that macs and their accessories are pretty intuitive.

also, saying that macs are hard to upgrade is flawed. I have an older macbook pro and upgraded the memory and hard drive easily. I have a mac pro at work that I constantly upgrade. the inside of a mac pro and any other PC are vastly different.

I will say this though, Windows 7 is the best OS on the market.

^

absolutely. i bounce between 7 and either ubuntu or fedora though. Actually, i feel like linux would suit most people; the hard part is simply finding which one is tailored to their needs. (for instance, if the web is basically all you do, g-OS is amazing for that)

also, anyone else excited for Chrome OS?

huge mac user. their organization and file systems fit me perfectly. I haven't used windows 7, but I feel that macs and their accessories are pretty intuitive.

also, saying that macs are hard to upgrade is flawed. I have an older macbook pro and upgraded the memory and hard drive easily. I have a mac pro at work that I constantly upgrade. the inside of a mac pro and any other PC are vastly different.

yeah, it literally took not more than 10 minutes to add more memory to my mbp. and most of that time was spent taking the screws out and putting them back in.

also, to you PC people, how do you feel about the all-in-one computers? my mom really likes the fact that imacs don't require a tower, but doesn't want to shell out the cash for a mac. (and understandably so; my parents use the computer to check email, go on ebay, and order christmas gifts, almost exclusively) are there any models/brands you'd recommend?

also, to you PC people, how do you feel about the all-in-one computers? my mom really likes the fact that imacs don't require a tower, but doesn't want to shell out the cash for a mac. (and understandably so; my parents use the computer to check email, go on ebay, and order christmas gifts, almost exclusively) are there any models/brands you'd recommend?

a netbook/laptop. with g-OS on it ;)

http://www.thinkgos.com/gos/index.html

a netbook/laptop. with g-OS on it ;)

http://www.thinkgos.com/gos/index.html

well, they want a traditional desktop pc (just one sans tower, if possible) and i'm sure my mom will only use a windows based os, because my brother in law does networking/tech stuff for a living and can troubleshoot and maintain that easily for them. my parents aren't exactly the adventurous type when it comes to technology, haha.

I have been using a Macbook as my primary computer since 2005, after being a guy who built his own custom PC's before that.

Like Erik said, the only difference at this point is the OS. I prefer OSX to Windows because it doesn't have seemingly arbitrary filename limitations like Windows/NTFS Drives do, and because of Exposé. I find Exposé makes my workflow go SO much quicker.

And, OSX has been rock solid for me. In the 5 years I have had that computer, it has crashed TWICE. And both times were a result of something I did.

That said, in the next year I will be building another Windows PC for games. I don't really think the "debate" is so great anymore. With Apple you are paying a premium on hardware for design aesthetics and a different operating system. With a Windows PC you are paying less money, getting a more open platform and the ability to more easily upgrade your hardware. However, Windows has to work with all sorts of different hardware so that usually makes it a little more unstable.

My poison is the PC. I have 7 year old desktop that runs XP with no problems. Over the summer, I built my baby for video production. This beast flies. I'm in love.

Building a PC isn't easy, but it's not too damn hard (this is coming from someone with some tech skills). Like with anything, you do your research and go from there. There's so much value in building your own computer. It's almost like a rite of passage, everyone should should do it.

The edit suites at work run on PC. We have two graphic designers at work, Paul works on a Mac, Tim rolls with the PC. Like anything, it all comes down to preference. When I was a freelancer, I had no choice but to use whatever system I was provided with. For the most part, this meant working with Macs and FCP (not a fan, but that's a different discussion). I don't have issues with Mac's, in my line of work it's best to be fluent on both systems. I'd rather work on PC, plus I get a lot more bang for my buck. The extra cash allows me to pick up more toys for production.

Dexateens Rule, Glossary Drools