When will you stop listening to new music?

I got into punk around 1987 or 1988 and since then there were always at least a bunch of bands that were new, exciting, and inspiring. Where are the bands like that today? Where are the Fugazis, Quicksands, and At The Drive Ins of today? They don't exist.

I am with you 100% there. I actually stopped istening to hardcore for a few years b/c there were no bands that excited me anymore. It wasn't until I listened to Blacklisted's 'Heavier Than Heaven, Lonelier Than God' that I felt that my faith in hardcore...new hardcore bands at least...could be re-kindled.

all i have to say is: have heart - songs to scream at the sun

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, for better or worse, I get really turned off by bands when I find something not genuine about them. For whatever reason there's a lot of popular bands that come off as insincere so that tends to sour me on them (or is that phrase supposed to be the other way around? See unrelated footnote if you're bored). Bands and musicians I really love seem to put everything into their music - e.g. Chuck Ragan / HWM, ETID - and it adds a level of sincerity to it. When I see some band half-ass it or hate their fans, it ruins them.

100% with you. I write off a lot of new music I hear because of this. If I can't hear the passion and energy they put into the music, I can't get into it.

without a doubt, there is some pop music that is good. while i may not be a huge fan, i have no problem with Taylor Swift or Rihanna etc etc. But the thing that bothers me about Gaga is that she's so gimmicky. I've heard her actually sing, and she definately has a voice, but seeing as how she actually is talented, I don't know why she feels the need to dress like such an idiot and make music that it no way displays her talent. she's just a massive attention whore.

They do exist just in a whole other form. Young people don't listen to that type of music anymore. They are growing up on stuff like Vampire Weekend or Say Anything or Every Time I Die and to them, that IS ground breaking stuff. Just have to face the fact that we are out of touch with that scene.

If listening to new music means I have to listen to Vampire Weekend, Say Anything, or Every Time I Die then fuck it.

without a doubt, there is some pop music that is good. while i may not be a huge fan, i have no problem with Taylor Swift or Rihanna etc etc. But the thing that bothers me about Gaga is that she's so gimmicky. I've heard her actually sing, and she definately has a voice, but seeing as how she actually is talented, I don't know why she feels the need to dress like such an idiot and make music that it no way displays her talent. she's just a massive attention whore.

maybe that's just who she is. you think because she dresses in super unconventional outfits she's a massive attention whore? weird. i'm not saying that some of it isn't an act, but i think it's rad either way. better than seeing another trend obsessed sheep. more power to someone who champions the self proclaimed weirdos, the gays, and the underdogs.

never, as long as it doesn't suck.

i do see myself feeling weird when all the "alternative" artists from high school get played on the classic rock station though.

classic rock from the 90s: scott stapp singing the oldies.

HERE'S AN EXTREME SONG TO FIGHT THE MAN TO!

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE!

as time goes on, i start understanding music a bit more, that when i was younger i completly wrote off. I just watched a documentary called "It might get loud", where they put jack black, jimmy page, and the edge in a room and just have them talk about guitar stuff, and how they make music.

now me 3 years ago wouldn't have given a shit about this film, or these musicians, because i wasn't into their music, but now i appreciate the way they write, even if i'm not a fan of their bands or music.

i find myself getting more interested in the aspects of how stuff was done, as opposed to the finished project. like the making of is more interesting than the final outcome.

i also wonder in 20 years what will be considered classics? and it's kind of crazy to think about, but my grandparents, or your grandparents for that matter, maybe have been alive through this constantly evolving mediums of music. and when they started selling vinyl, who would have ever guessed that it'd eventually breakdown into little files of audio.

as time goes on, i start understanding music a bit more, that when i was younger i completly wrote off. I just watched a documentary called "It might get loud", where they put jack black, jimmy page, and the edge in a room and just have them talk about guitar stuff, and how they make music.

now me 3 years ago wouldn't have given a shit about this film, or these musicians, because i wasn't into their music, but now i appreciate the way they write, even if i'm not a fan of their bands or music.

i find myself getting more interested in the aspects of how stuff was done, as opposed to the finished project. like the making of is more interesting than the final outcome.

i also wonder in 20 years what will be considered classics? and it's kind of crazy to think about, but my grandparents, or your grandparents for that matter, maybe have been alive through this constantly evolving mediums of music. and when they started selling vinyl, who would have ever guessed that it'd eventually breakdown into little files of audio.

I didnt see it, but I thought it was jack white

like i said, i do like some pop music. but the pop that i listened to growing up is a lot different than the pop that kids listen to now.

lol, you're still growing up, honey bunches of oats.

and yeah, you're correct. gaga and tswift are heads and shoulders better than the crud on your tradelist you claim is left over from your growing up phase.

I dig music.

no, no, no.

(pause)

I'M A GOLDEN GOD!!

----

but really, i love music and love listening to new stuff. i'm in my early thirty's with a wife and two kids, a house and blah blah blah, but i find time to listen to new stuff. it might help that i'm a stay at home dad, thus have the time to listen to 3 to 5 albums a day.

Guest errolwest

I'm still pretty young. By most definitions here(18 going in 19), so feel free to discount my opinion here...

BUT, I think each generation tends to get bored with a lot of "new" music. I know I've gotten bored with a lot of hardcore music, from going to shows once or twice a week for atleast 5 years(I know that's not THAT long) it starts to get repetitive and makes you wonder if it's really worth your hard earned 6$ and lately it seems that more and more it's not. That being said, every now and then, a band comes along that really blows you out if the water and puts you on your ass. For thy reason I continue to go to as many shows as possible.

I guess my point is, there will always be shitty music, no matter what genre you like, and there will always be good music. Unfortunately, the good stuff is usually harder to find. And the older I get the less time I have. Soo who knows what will happen a few years down the line for me.

like i said, i do like some pop music. but the pop that i listened to growing up is a lot different than the pop that kids listen to now.

lol, you're still growing up, honey bunches of oats.

and yeah, you're correct. gaga and tswift are heads and shoulders better than the crud on your tradelist you claim is left over from your growing up phase.

i totally love this hilarious rivalry between alicia and the candian.

B-

They do exist just in a whole other form. Young people don't listen to that type of music anymore. They are growing up on stuff like Vampire Weekend or Say Anything or Every Time I Die and to them, that IS ground breaking stuff. Just have to face the fact that we are out of touch with that scene.

If listening to new music means I have to listen to Vampire Weekend, Say Anything, or Every Time I Die then fuck it.

lol

This makes me think about death, which makes me think about futuristic coffins and burial grounds.

Since 2012 is coming so soon, I'm going to tell Santa this Christmas that I want a coffin with an infinite powered battery so that the music never stops playing for my corpse to 'hear'. I'll probably choose Moonlight Sonata on repeat. Until I turn into a zombie, I'll have enough time to think of a playlist.

yeah it's a time/priority thing.

...but while I'm admittedly cynical/bitter about some new music, it's more that I know what I like and can see through the bullshit and decide to not waste my time with things anymore. That being said I still give opening bands chances, I still try to get to most shows on time to at least give unknown bands a shot...so I still find new bands, but I'm still learning and discovering old bands too so I try to find the balance there as well.

I'm in total agreement with you justin. After listening to this crap (punk/hc) since the early/mid 80's I can totally agree that while you don't stop listening to new music, you tend to hear the same recycled shit over and over again. Music has become a meme of sort, Once a new and original band originates they become viral and the copycats come out of the woodwork. Now music is just recycled. Can you say Munipal Waste? If you're young you think "Fuck, this is new and exciting. i dig it", someone 10 years old is thinking "it's the same ol' crap i heard 15 years ago. Just now more polished". What i do appreciate about getting older is you learn to appreciate all the stuff from your past and before. You learn to appreciate all sorts of different genres of music. You get a different ear for it. Hell while i listened to the Replacements when i was younger, i never really listened till recently. I guess certain bands, you have to be in a certain part of your life to appreciate. Ok i'm going on a tangent here. sorry.

I'm also with you on opening bands. I like watching opening bands like i like watching trailers before a movie in the theater. Sure they're may be a bunch shit to sit (or stand) through, but there are a few gems in that pile that make you keep going. I still am impressed from time to time with new bands and i'm happy for that.

Juan, hc/punk has always been exciting. Unfortunately it's split into two different subsets (the semi-commercial and the underground) and unfortunately maybe you followed up the wrong one. You have all these people who listen to Have Heart and ETID and consider that hc, but there's the other sect that listens to a total different form of it like Tragedy/HHIG/ Look Back and Laugh/Crudos to name a few popular ones. I still find new and exciting punk bands from time to time. Just gotta listen and go to those measly little shows that no one goes to because that's where you find those awesome bands. All i have to say is Low Threat Profile.

I probably didn't make any sense here. sorry. I'm going on 2 hours of sleep.

i find this quote all too funny, considering your age. sorta like the 19 year old punk rocker that bitches about how punk isn't like it was back in 78'.