Lo-Fi music - Stupid/Not Stupid

goraiders

I'm having this argument with my friend. I think its idiotic, people are purposely making their music sound worse. In a lot of these cases I imagine they're using better equipment and then using computer effects to make it sound like they aren't using real equipment.

He says its a style, like oil painting vs computer generated 3d real looking images. You don't want it to sound "real"

What do you think?

Guest errolwest

I think if you are actually interested in experimenting with different sounds, effects, and recording methods, it's absolutely acceptable. But being lo-fi for the sake of being lo-fi isn't. It's a fine line I guess. I record a lot of lo fi music, buts because it's my only means of recording.

LoFi suffers a completely different aesthetic than music that is Overproduced and/or Professionally recorded. I love both sides of the spectrum.

Blue Snowball + Laptop = Recording Studio.

Exactly. I just picked up a Zoom H2 so I can record shows/rehearsals/concrete stuff, and I am digging it. It's no reel to reel, but it sure is fun to be able to record wavs (16 or 24 bit) or mp3s at the touch of a button with nothing more than two AA batteries.

var ads = new Array("300x250-1.png","300x250-2.png","300x250-3.png");

var num = Math.floor(Math.random()*ads.length);

if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)

{

if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)

document.write('+':v3q9h0oi]ProBoards Free Forums');

else

document.write('+':v3q9h0oi]ProBoards Free Forums');

}

else

{

document.write('ProBoards Free Forums');

}

ProBoards Free Forums

This is not an argument about music, it is an artificial debate about a description. This is why genres suck. You have already judged a band before you heard them.

Plus "lo-fi" bands can sound very different. White Stripes vs. Times New Vikings vs. Neutral Milk Hotel vs. Jerusalem and the Starbaskets Vs. Psychedelic Horseshit vs...you get the idea

With that said I think you dislike shit-gaze, not lo-fi....

If you're going out of your to make lower quality music and to be superindiehipsterthriftstore dude, then yeah, fuck you that's stupid. It's totally acceptable when you're not aiming for something some fuck with horn-rimmed glasses and a vintage ironic t-shirt to buy at your favorite coffee shop...on purpose.