Great Forgotten Bands of the 90's

Who were some of your favorite bands from the 90's that only had one hit or a little bit of buzz, and then faded off the radar?

I recently found a used copy of "Where Have All The Merrymakers Gone?" by Harvey Danger at FYE for $4, and man was that a great record. I remember loving Flagpole Sitta when I was in high school, and never hearing from them again.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the refreshments!

the toadies!

too much joy!

too skinnee j's!

Good call on the Toadies. "Possum Kingdom" is one of my favorite alterna-radio songs from the '90's!

And I'll add:

Archers of Loaf (vastly underrated)

Cake

Filter

Spacehog (well, for their one radio song...)

Elastica

Sponge ("Plowed" is a decent song)

Veruca Salt

the refreshments!

the toadies!

too much joy!

too skinnee j's!

Good call on the Toadies. "Possum Kingdom" is one of my favorite alterna-radio songs from the '90's!

FULLY BACKED.

Great 90s albums:

3EB - s/t

STP - Purple and Tiny Music

Alice In Chains - Dirt

The Posies - pretty much everything

FULLY BACKED.

Great 90s albums:

3EB - s/t

STP - Purple and Tiny Music

Alice In Chains - Dirt

The Posies - pretty much everything

I loved "Purple"... "Interstate Love Song" is another top 5-10 alterna-radio hit from the '90's.

Let's not loose focus here, STP still had some big audiences and a hit into the new century with "sour girl". Third Eye Blind had a string of hits across their first two albums (fuck "Blue" is such a nostalgic album for me).

As for one hitters, I liked Cracker. They still play but they really only had one "hit".

My 90's love list!

Ahem:

Vertical Horizon

Fastball

Real McCoy (couple of hits)

Tag Team

Skee-lo

verve Pipe

Guano Apes

I really need to go out and refind these albums. I loved a ton of alt. rock.

Harvey Danger's still alive and well, and making good records: http://www.harveydanger.com/

I also loved the Refreshments.

Yeah, when I found that CD I went and looked them up and saw they were still active. They just seemed to have fallen off the radar completely since the last time I heard them. That's what I meant: bands that just sort of faded away for you, not neccessarily broken up.

2 Skinnee J's were pretty hilarious. I saw them open for Sugar Ray & Everlast in like '99 or maybe '00.

There was semi ok band that didn't really have a hit called Dial 7 that was pretty cool. They had two singers who would both rap and sing and th band was a three piece that played like a weird metal, punk, reggae almagam...kinda weird but the album had a few decent songs on it. First time I saw them, they opened for Incubus & System of Down...when Incubus was still doing their funk metal thing and hadn't been homogenized for mass consumption. SOAD was amazing cause it was pre-Toxicity but they played a mixture of s/t and Toxicity songs...

Soul Coughing

Hell yes. I've been looking for all their stuff on vinyl.

i have a couple 7" from them.. i think only one of their lp's was pressed on vinyl. i loved this band, a good friend of mine did their website, and introduced me to them.. super nice dudes.. their first album is still killer.