Rega's New Turntable - RP1

Don't know if anyone has posted this but it looks like Rega is putting out a new turnatable to take the place of the P1 called the RP1.

[image]

more info here: http://www.rega.co.uk/html/RP1.htm

needledoctor.com has it listed, but as 'coming soon' with a pricetag of $445. A bit more expensive than the P1, but looks like you're paying for the upgrade in quality. http://www.needledoctor.com/Online-Store/Rega-Turntables

Maybe this will mean the price of the P1 will fall a bit as dealers liquidate stock...

This thing got rave reviews! They took the best of the P1 and P3, discontinued both and made this.

I wouldn't go that far. It's really just a few small design changes over the old P1 with more colour options. The components on the P3 still stand largely above the RP1, especially the tone arm, which is the most telling component of a turntable as far as I'm concerned. Granted the P3 is more than double the price, though. Also, they haven't discontinued the P3, either. They made a few changes to that one, too, and introduced a wealth of colour options.

This thing got rave reviews! They took the best of the P1 and P3, discontinued both and made this.

I wouldn't go that far. It's really just a few small design changes over the old P1 with more colour options. The components on the P3 still stand largely above the RP1, especially the tone arm, which is the most telling component of a turntable as far as I'm concerned. Granted the P3 is more than double the price, though. Also, they haven't discontinued the P3, either. They made a few changes to that one, too, and introduced a wealth of colour options.

Ya no-ware near P3 quality! Though it does look like the fixed some of the big problems and qualms that people have with the P1, better platter that wont swell and change so much with the weather, and looks like they redesigned the arm to function better and changed the crappy plastic mounting system it had before. Looks to be and improvement anyhow over the P1 8-)

I am talking for the price, this is a huge upgrade over the P1 and the internal changes will be significant. The P3 is being discontinued - talk with any audio store and they will tell you, and sell for the discounted price around $400-450, I have talked to two in the past week and confirmed.

I have never listed the to the P1 or P3, but have done a bit of research lately on these. Personally, I have a P5 and it's a terrific table, but am upgrading to the VPI Classic this week.