BCS. Let's Talk About It.

It's getting pretty far into the college football season and the system's structure is looking weaker than ever (In my opinion, anyway). So let's talk about it. Should non-AQ teams be eligible to play in the national championship? In my opinion, TCU and Boise both look every bit as good, if not better, than Auburn. Are they better than Oregon? That's a lot tougher to decide.

I think there's too much business in this college sport.

I think there's too much business in this college sport.

word.

and that's why i doubt there will ever be a playoff system instituted. and why teams like penn state will go to a bowl game every year that they have a winning record regardless of how good they are. they just choose the teams with a huge following who will bring in the $$$.

This is what it should look like.

1. TCU

2. Oregon

3. Boise State

4. Auburn

5. Not LSU

This is because TCU has the best defense by a mile and would not allow any of the other top 5 score points like they're used to doing.

The BCS will never be fair. But neither would a playoff system, 120 teams is entirely to many to narrow down for a playoff.

I'd love playoffs, but as was said, it's pretty impractical given the number of teams.

While the BCS may be a flawed system, I don't think I've heard of a more practical alternative.

(And I can't hate too much. Even after Stanford tore Arizona apart last night, they only fell 3 spots :P )

A playoff would most likely occur with 4 or 8 teams making it. There would probably be more controversy over a few teams getting left out of a playoff than Boise St. going undefeated and having to settle on playing for third.

Anyways just wait a couple weeks and if there are still 4 undefeated teams we can talk more seriously.

With respect to your opinion:

The big BCS school's schedules don't make me fall off my chair. I'm really not impressed with that argument. Especially because it's unfalsifiable. The teams will never play so the argument will never be decided. The system does not give them a chance to prove their worth. But I'll tell you one thing, those schools want nothing more than to be able to play better schedules. A system that deliberately gives certain teams an advantage has to raise some flags. Especially when there are dollar signs involved. They really can't do anything else to prove their worth other than what they're doing which is by shutting out and straight up murdering their below-average opponents.

Never really had a college team (my college doesn't have football) but I like to follow. Anyway, I find the argument that BSU and TCU don't deserve to be in the Title game because of their lack of schedule strength ridiculous. I'm sure BSU and TCU would LOVE to have a Michigan, Nebraska, LSU or USC on their schedule. But what AQ team in their right mind would sign on for a game like that?

A playoff would have some faults but at least it can decide a "real" national champion.

ESPN's current projections have Boise State (fourth) and Stanford (sixth) both out of BCS games, and that's bullshit. Unranked Pitt? In. Virginia Tech, which lost to Boise State? In.

Yes, I know they're in AQ conferences, but if Boise State gets left out, well, then there's no reason to even have 120-plus Division I-A schools.

ESPN's current projections have Boise State (fourth) and Stanford (sixth) both out of BCS games, and that's bullshit. Unranked Pitt? In. Virginia Tech, which lost to Boise State? In.

Yes, I know they're in AQ conferences, but if Boise State gets left out, well, then there's no reason to even have 120-plus Division I-A schools.

http://www.bcsfootball.org/news/story?id=4819597

This is why Pitt and Tech are eligible. It's kinda like a playoff bracket (win your bracket and get into a BCS bowl). Boise will be in because they will win their division and be in the top 12.

Stanford could quite possibly get an at large bid. However if we were to use the playoff system they would not since Boise would be in their bracket.

This further proves that playoffs would be just as inaccurate if not worse than the BCS system.

Also this rule is BS "4. Notre Dame will have an automatic berth if it is in the top eight of the final BCS Standings." It should apply to any IA school not just ND.

SEC > everyone else. And who else should be 5 if not LSU? Just because they have a lousy QB doesn't invalidate them.

Conference Wins Losses

SEC 6 0

Big 12 2 5

ACC 1 2

Big East 1 2

Big Ten 1 2

Pac-10 1‡ 1

‡Pursuant to NCAA sanctions, running back Reggie Bush was declared retroactively ineligible for the 2005 Orange Bowl. The BCS has formally vacated the Trojans' victory, but USC remains the 2004 BCS national champion pending a decision by the BCS Presidential Oversight Committee.

http://www.bcsfootball.org/news/story?id=4819597

This is why Pitt and Tech are eligible. It's kinda like a playoff bracket (win your bracket and get into a BCS bowl). Boise will be in because they will win their division and be in the top 12.

Stanford could quite possibly get an at large bid. However if we were to use the playoff system they would not since Boise would be in their bracket.

This further proves that playoffs would be just as inaccurate if not worse than the BCS system.

Also this rule is BS "4. Notre Dame will have an automatic berth if it is in the top eight of the final BCS Standings." It should apply to any IA school not just ND.

Nobody has to take Boise if TCU is ahead of them. Only one non-AQ team (in the top 16) is forced to be taken by a bowl (the rose bowl). If TCU makes the rose bowl, Boise is shit out of luck.

I still cannot believe LSU is #5. their QB has to be the biggest joke in the SEC and most of college football.. that defense is insane though

lsu being #5 is irrelevant right now. it would take 2 auburn losses to even put them in the conference championship game. and i will not be a hypocrite, if auburn loses a game and so does someone else they should not be in the bcs title game. 3 years ago georgia fans complained that lsu only jumped them because they won the conference and said there is no rule that says you have to win your conference. but the voters were right, you should be a conference champion. and i will stand by that even if auburn loses one of their 2 last conference games.

i am a huge les miles hater and expected lsu to lose 5 games this season. i almost ran around my apartment complex in my boxers when i thought he screwed up in the end of that tennessee game. but i have to give them some respect now. are they a #5 team? probably not but with their schedule they deserve to be up there. and yes jefferson and lee are usually awful, but they won 2 championships in the last 10 years with qb's that were game managers, not play makers. this time they are just pretty damn good with a not so great qb. could you imagine if they had a better one? they would have probably beat auburn and would sitting on top the bcs. i fucking still hate les miles and hopefully he'll blow a game again soon.

i am going to be an auburn fan for the next month. if lsu keeps winning and so does auburn lsu will get to play in the sugar bowl. and as long as they play boise and not tcu i think they have a shot.