Old Canes (Appleseed Cast) 3 7" series

to put this in perspective, i've pledged a few things in 2011 and received nothing except donor gifts from the Birthmark pledge but he still hasn't finished an album for download. i'm waiting on a Carina Round EP reissue on vinyl that's been almost a year now. then waiting on Old Canes and waiting on a Birthmark digital download for the completed album.

then again, the process for DREAMOVERrecords doing the Brandtson kickstarter went pretty damn smooth and didn't take quite as long as all this has. it's really hit or miss.

• 2 weeks later...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

This is in the comments on the kickstarter page:

CCrisci 1 day ago

Hang in there folks, the project is still a go. I have gone through about a million re-writes and as of a week ago, I am in the midst of a breakthrough. Initially, I overestimated how fast I could get lyrics I liked done. The project has been delayed for an insane amount of time, but it will be completed. I am very close to having the first 7” completed, and the other two are close behind that.

• 2 years later...

It's actually been over three years. After taking money from fans to fund this and claimed writers block for the delay, he somehow found the creative energy to do a new Appleseed Cast album. 

I can live with a project failing. I can't live with his hiding from the fans he took money from. Slimey as shit. 

Still pissed. I occasionally visit the Kickstarter page just to remind myself of the $50 he stole from me.

I still occasionally leave a comment, though I know it does no good. Today I've given up hope for the records, I just want the truth. Old Canes was clearly never a priority, I don't believe that he really ever had any material ready to record, and he straight up stole our money.

"Could we just get an update? Could you at least admit that this isn't going to happen and our money is gone? I just want some sort of closure with this nonsense. I could live with knowing that I misplaced my trust and lost $50, but I keep checking back hoping for an update, looking for a sign of life here. At least when you get robbed you know the money is lost. Just give us that. Just come on and let us know that's it's been three years, it's not happening, you spent the $4,390.00 you raised on other things and we should all move on. That's the LEAST you could do. Just be honest."

Still pissed. I occasionally visit the Kickstarter page just to remind myself of the $50 he stole from me.

I still occasionally leave a comment, though I know it does no good. Today I've given up hope for the records, I just want the truth. Old Canes was clearly never a priority, I don't believe that he really ever had any material ready to record, and he straight up stole our money.

"Could we just get an update? Could you at least admit that this isn't going to happen and our money is gone? I just want some sort of closure with this nonsense. I could live with knowing that I misplaced my trust and lost $50, but I keep checking back hoping for an update, looking for a sign of life here. At least when you get robbed you know the money is lost. Just give us that. Just come on and let us know that's it's been three years, it's not happening, you spent the $4,390.00 you raised on other things and we should all move on. That's the LEAST you could do. Just be honest."

I understand your frustration, especially considering that you lost a nice bit of cash.  Maybe I'm naive, but I honestly think Chris fully intended to release these records.  Was he dishonest when he said the songs were written?  Probably.  Was he dishonest when he said, "I'm still working on this!"?  Again, probably.  But I can't imagine he was like, "I need a few grand... I know..."

I understand your frustration, especially considering that you lost a nice bit of cash.  Maybe I'm naive, but I honestly think Chris fully intended to release these records.  Was he dishonest when he said the songs were written?  Probably.  Was he dishonest when he said, "I'm still working on this!"?  Again, probably.  But I can't imagine he was like, "I need a few grand... I know..."

I don't think monsterrod is saying that Chris pre-meditated stealing the money; only that to go this long without delivering the promised product or updating the people that paid for it is basically the same thing as stealing.

I was actually really bummed that I missed the Kickstarter because I was late to the Old Canes party, but seeing what has happened with it is bumming me out more. 

I think he went into it with then intention of completing the project and following through and I think that as the Appleseed Cast album was written/recorded/released and touring commenced, he was simply overwhelmed with work and the Old Canes project slipped away. He hasn't just come out and said that, though. He's ignored the commitment he made when he took our money and I think that is what feels like stealing. Maybe he didn't intend to take $4300 and run, but after three years with no results, that's what has happened. That's all I'm saying.