Totally OFFICIAL LOST thread *spoiler alert!*

Ben is clearly in a power struggle with the unsuspecting Locke. Anytime Locke gives away that he knows something that Ben didn't think he knew, Ben tries to kill him. "Oh I spoke with Jacob" BAM! Shot and left in a pile of dead people. "Oh I'm looking for Eloise Hawking" BAM! Choked to death, bitch!

I'd say both Ben and Charles had their run as leaders and their time was up and they had to leave or relinquish leadership but neither did (for reasons that remain not entirely clear), so they got the boot. Ben seems to be doing all of the gathering and shit to get back in the good graces of the island, where Whitmore seems to be more into taking shit by force. But Locke is the one who is chosen to lead, so both must utilize him, while making sure he doesn't actually get back to lead. That's just my take.

Ben is clearly in a power struggle with the unsuspecting Locke. Anytime Locke gives away that he knows something that Ben didn't think he knew, Ben tries to kill him. "Oh I spoke with Jacob" BAM! Shot and left in a pile of dead people. "Oh I'm looking for Eloise Hawking" BAM! Choked to death, bitch!

I'd say both Ben and Charles had their run as leaders and their time was up and they had to leave or relinquish leadership but neither did (for reasons that remain not entirely clear), so they got the boot. Ben seems to be doing all of the gathering and shit to get back in the good graces of the island, where Whitmore seems to be more into taking shit by force. But Locke is the one who is chosen to lead, so both must utilize him, while making sure he doesn't actually get back to lead. That's just my take.

i like this theory. a lot