Totally OFFICIAL LOST thread *spoiler alert!*

Over half of those questions have been answered in one way or another. You just have to THINK about it. The writers of this show are not the type to just hand over blatant answers to every little mystery. Sure, in some instances they do, like the whispers but for the most part they leave the work up to the viewer.

http://darkufo.blogspot.com/2010/05/things-i-noticed-end-by-vozzek69.html

This guy is on top of things more so than anyone else I've had the pleasure of reading. It's a little long but totally worth it.

"Purgatory is the state of those who die in God’s friendship or Grace, assured of their eternal salvation, but who still have need of purification to enter into the happiness of heaven."

You basically just gave it another name ;)

but none of them were being 'purified', they just needed to be enlightened about their time together. i was raised catholic, and was taught that purgatory was a place where you were punished for non-major sins (venial sins, or what have you) before you could be worthy to enter heaven. i.e. temporary suffering to achieve an ultimately permanent heavenly state. if it was truly purgatory, all the characters would have to stay for different amounts of time; they wouldn't all pass on to wherever as one giant collective.

by 'waiting room' i meant exactly that. they weren't serving any punishment, they were just that...waiting. the differences in definition are minor, but they're large enough that i wouldn't call it purgatory. and again, this is obviously way open to interpretation.

Christian told Jack that some died before him....some, long after he was gone. I think that explains what you were questioning.

And to whomever said that they wished Jack was the white smoke and would have a battle royale w/the black smoke--I totally said that Sunday @ our LOST party.

but none of them were being 'purified', they just needed to be enlightened about their time together. i was raised catholic, and was taught that purgatory was a place where you were punished for non-major sins (venial sins, or what have you) before you could be worthy to enter heaven. i.e. temporary suffering to achieve an ultimately permanent heavenly state. if it was truly purgatory, all the characters would have to stay for different amounts of time; they wouldn't all pass on to wherever as one giant collective.

by 'waiting room' i meant exactly that. they weren't serving any punishment, they were just that...waiting. the differences in definition are minor, but they're large enough that i wouldn't call it purgatory. and again, this is obviously way open to interpretation.

Christian told Jack that some died before him....some, long after he was gone. I think that explains what you were questioning.

And to whomever said that they wished Jack was the white smoke and would have a battle royale w/the black smoke--I totally said that Sunday @ our LOST party.

nah, i got that part. i mean, with that logic, people who died the longest time ago automatically needed to atone for more sins, which wouldn't be the case. either way, im pretty happy with the ending!

So I finally got around to watching the Finale last night, and although I'm fairly happy with the ending and the episode itself, I can't help but feel let down by the series as a whole.

When Lost hit its high points, they were very high. For me, these were the entire first season, everything inside the hatch (remember how you felt when Locke got locked in the computer room and the black light came on to reveal everything that was painted on the walls?), when they captured and interrogated "Henry Gale" and you found out he wasn't who he said he was, etc.

But the lows were real, real low... (Nikki and Paulo, Mr. Ecko, and especially Michael's insanity about his son, which was a MAJOR plot device for many episodes, and in the end it didn't matter at all.

That's how I feel about so much of Lost... They could have had the exact same ending even if they changed 80 or 90 percent of what happened in between the first and last episodes.

To me it's clear that they were asked by the network to start fluffing it a bit so they could keep their ratings up for a couple more years, which is sad because I think Lost would have been much better as a 60 episode show instead of 121.

And I read that Geeks Of Doom article linked a couple pages back... I can't even believe whoever wrote that compared the ending of Lost to the ending of Battlestar Galactica. Not only that, but implies that the Lost finale was actually BETTER than the BSG finale? That's absurd.

At least Battlestar Galactica had the good sense to keep moving the story forward and bow out when that story reached its logical conclusion. The "twist" the guy mentions in that article is hardly a twist, and is inconsequential to all of the events that preceded it. It wouldn't have mattered if it happened or not. I like that it did, but I could take it or leave it. The end of Lost however, reflects hugely on everything that Lost was about. I just felt it could have come about 50 episodes earlier if they cut out all of the chaff.

Sorry for the essay. It's payday at work and I'm just sitting here handing out paycheques with nothing else to do. :)

tl;dr - Battlestar Galactica > Lost

I don't know, I haven't read much online about the show at all.

Everyone I know personally who has seen the entire series thought the end was great. I'd even go so far as to say that it is the best ending of any show that I've watched from beginning to end. Most of the shows I loved never had a proper ending though (Deadwood, Carnivale), aren't over yet (Dexter, Breaking Bad, True Blood, Californication) or had what I would consider a weak ending (Oz, Sopranos).

Other than BSG, I'd say Lost and The Wire are the only endings I've thought were good.

• 7 months later...

not sure how many people check the sales forum so i'll post this here too...

i upgraded to blu ray so i'm selling my dvd sets:

Seasons 1-5 for $10 a piece (Season 1-4 only watched once or twice, Season 5 is sealed)

also check out teefury.com for a sweet Lost shirt available today (i'm addicted to that website...)

• 4 years later...