Holy shit, Tom Waits inducted into the Rock Hall!

I'm sure Tom Waits feels artistically validated by this development.

haha. he can now retire knowing he made it. :P

but seriously, how can someone be surprised. dudes' been putting out albums since i was born (and i feel his best ones were in the 70's and 80's). i'm surprised he wasn't inducted last century.

I'm not quite sure I understand the criteria for the rock and roll hall of fame. I'm not into Tom Waits at all, and I can't stand Bon Jovi, but Bon Jovi has sold about a trillion more records than Tom Waits has. I understand that's not the only criteria, but still.

So someone tell me why Tom Waits deserves to be in. And longetivity doesn't count.

I'm not quite sure I understand the criteria for the rock and roll hall of fame. I'm not into Tom Waits at all, and I can't stand Bon Jovi, but Bon Jovi has sold about a trillion more records than Tom Waits has. I understand that's not the only criteria, but still.

So someone tell me why Tom Waits deserves to be in. And longetivity doesn't count.

If you don't like Waits, what's the point of explaining his radness?

Rolling Stone had a great article about this, a year or two ago that had Springsteen, Bono, Jagger on the cover. Basically it states that the people go around in a circle talking about who should make it in that year who is eligble and how it fits with the rest of the group going in/will it sell tickets/is another of their style going in/who has done more politicing about getting in. There is a reason that Clapton is in the hall 4 seperate times and KISS isnt even in. They dont care about being inducted into it at all and think its a sham and say so repeatedly.

originality, but most of all a person or group who has had major influence on the music industry and performers as a whole. I don't think i've ever heard musicians cite Bon Jovi as a major influence. On the other hand there are tons of musicians who cite waits as one. Nick Cave being a big fan, as well as Claypool, Eric Bachmann, Fiona Apple, Lanagan, just to name a few. Dudes music has spanned 4 decades in which his music has evolved over the years into different beasts. hence why he's getting inducted and not Bon Jovi.

originality, but most of all a person or group who has had major influence on the music industry and performers as a whole. I don't think i've ever heard musicians cite Bon Jovi as a major influence. On the other hand there are tons of musicians who cite waits as one. Nick Cave being a big fan, as well as Claypool, Eric Bachmann, Fiona Apple, Lanagan, just to name a few. Dudes music has spanned 4 decades in which his music has evolved over the years into different beasts. hence why he's getting inducted and not Bon Jovi.

This.