The weak link in your system

It's your pre-amp.

Srsly.

I spent the last 7 years with a cheapo I bought off eBay for 25 bucks.

Then I found a slightly better cheapo at the thrift store.

The sound quality is like day and night. I had to tweak some settings but once done my speakers just seemed to be alive.

Do yourself a big favor, invest in a good amp to drive your system. You will be happy you did.

Thats all!

It's your pre-amp.

Srsly.

You don't know what my system is, so how do you know?

Take a chill pill man.

My point is that I just picked up an pre-amp based on the price and never really thought about it.

But when I got the chance to change it out I was blown away by the sound difference.

Just trying to be helpful, and let people know if they just picked up a cheapo, they may want to consider upgrading. I was not getting the full experience out of my speakers or my turntable for years. This goes for pre-amp & amps in general.

You don't know what my system is, so how do you know?

Take a chill pill man.

My point is that I just picked up an pre-amp based on the price and never really thought about it.

But when I got the chance to change it out I was blown away by the sound difference.

Just trying to be helpful, and let people know if they just picked up a cheapo, they may want to consider upgrading. I was not getting the full experience out of my speakers or my turntable for years. This goes for pre-amp & amps in general.

The issue I took was there's a lot of possible "weak links" in anyone's system. Anything from shitty cables, bad speakers, crappy turntable, garbage cartridge, worn out stylus, etc. The irony is that the odds are that the person probably doesn't care. Fidelity is not a primary or even secondary concern. Most people here are using turntables that cost under $100.

Take a chill pill man.

The issue I took was there's a lot of possible "weak links" in anyone's system. Anything from shitty cables, bad speakers, crappy turntable, garbage cartridge, worn out stylus, etc. The irony is that the odds are that the person probably doesn't care. Fidelity is not a primary or even secondary concern. Most people here are using turntables that cost under $100.

What would you recommend if someone had 500 set aside to make their system better.