buying vinyl at shows

this is the second time i picked up a record at a show i went to, only to find out that it was available for much cheaper online. pretty disappointing.

http://www.merchdirect.com/TripleCrownRecords/Vinyl/Act_I_and_Act_II_Triple_Vinyl?productid=12276

paid $30 for this at the show last night

so i guess the moral of the story is to shop online instead? seems to be the better idea to me.

Well they could be gouging but also depending on how popular that band is, if they are playing a bigger club (I have never heard of this band before), the club could be getting a cut of the merch sales. This is a typical practice for your theater type venues on up so that forces the bands to raise their prices at these venues for their merch which is partially whey you see 25+ dollar t-shirts.

One thing you can take comfort in though is your money actually went to the band (or mostly went to them) so you supported a band you liked directly. Bands rely on merch sales at their shows to make their money, eat, buy gas, etc.

Most venues take about 10% of media sales. They shouldn't be taking any cut of media sales, but them's the breaks. And prices can depend on a lot of things. If they had to expedite ship new stock out to a show they might change the price to help recoup the extra shipping costs. Plus, 3 LPs for $30 isn't that unfair.

This is dumb. Buy it online. If the copies they're selling aren't copies that the label gave them for free for pressing it, then they would have been able to get it at wholesale pricing which is going to be lower than the retail. Even at 10% going to the venue, they're still overcharging by $5. Minus the Bear played a free show at my school a couple years ago and were selling Acoustics and Beer Commercials for something like, $20 each when they were available online for $10-14, and the school was not taking any percentage of their merch sales.

It just bothers me when bands feel entitled to overcharge on tour merch.

This is dumb. Buy it online. If the copies they're selling aren't copies that the label gave them for free for pressing it, then they would have been able to get it at wholesale pricing which is going to be lower than the retail. Even at 10% going to the venue, they're still overcharging by $5. Minus the Bear played a free show at my school a couple years ago and were selling Acoustics and Beer Commercials for something like, $20 each when they were available online for $10-14, and the school was not taking any percentage of their merch sales.

merch is the only thing bands make money on

No one forces people to be in touring bands. It shouldn't be the burden of listeners to support some twat's dream or being a professional gigger. You can make money without gouging the people supporting you. Bands can make a shitload of money playing shows.

Since it was a free show for you, you couldn't chuck a few extra dollars their way?

Prices can also be set by demand. If I can sell tour shirts for $25 at the same pace that $20 shirts move, why deny ourselves the extra sales? Bands have bills to pay, too.

Otherwise it's as simple as: don't like it? Don't buy it.

I rest comfortably knowing that the band I like makes profit from the merch I buy at the show.

Agreed. I really don't mind paying a few extra dollars when buying stuff directly from the band.

I really wanted to buy the new Fleet Foxes record at their show last night but sadly didn't have the cash. Only $15 bucks, which is pretty much what I would pay anywhere else. Oh well :(

I couldn't get into that show, and I was fucking pissed.

Since it was a free show for you, you couldn't chuck a few extra dollars their way?

Prices can also be set by demand. If I can sell tour shirts for $25 at the same pace that $20 shirts move, why deny ourselves the extra sales? Bands have bills to pay, too.

Otherwise it's as simple as: don't like it? Don't buy it.

He/we paid Minus the Bear in a student fee, so it was free. But you had to make a $20,000 purchase.

No one forces people to be in touring bands. It shouldn't be the burden of listeners to support some twat's dream or being a professional gigger. You can make money without gouging the people supporting you. Bands can make a shitload of money playing shows.

You my friend have never been in a touring band. It's Minus The Bear and smaller acts we're talking about... not Lady Gaga.

I usually don't buy vinyl at shows because carrying it around is a pain..

Carrying around vinyl at shows does suck though...unless theres re-entry. Always have an LP mailer handy even though you'll look like a dork.

Wow, everything about that statement is completely assinine.

I'd like everyone who is complaining about how difficult or expensive it is to buy LPs at shows to go read the thread about "worst customer service" from a label or distro - I'd gladly pay a band an extra few bucks knowing that they got the cash to help get them to the next show (remember, gas IS $4+) and also get to avoid having to wait 1-2 weeks for a record that may or may not have been crushed by USPS. That peace of mind is priceless.

godspeed was selling all lps for $20, i don't think any of them cost that much from newbury comics

that was the other one i felt kind of duped on, saw them in brooklyn a few months back.

dear hunter, godspeed, and citizen cope. all bought at the show, all found for cheaper online. but whatever, i agree that if that extra money is going to the bands then i'm totally cool with it.

thats probably the point where living outside the us doesnt suck that much (concerning vinyl).

records at the shows over here usually are cheaper than in stores, i cant think of an example when a record was more expensive.

latest example: thursday's common existence.... around 20€ in stores, 15 at the show.

there are two things that do suck: first, carrying the record around (but you can usually just buy it after the show). second, ive already seen a few bands who couldnt get their records through the customs and had absolutely no vinyl/cd for sale at their gigs