buying vinyl at shows

This is dumb. Buy it online. If the copies they're selling aren't copies that the label gave them for free for pressing it, then they would have been able to get it at wholesale pricing which is going to be lower than the retail. Even at 10% going to the venue, they're still overcharging by $5. Minus the Bear played a free show at my school a couple years ago and were selling Acoustics and Beer Commercials for something like, $20 each when they were available online for $10-14, and the school was not taking any percentage of their merch sales.

It just bothers me when bands feel entitled to overcharge on tour merch.

Another thing I hate is when the band has OOP shit and they will double the price to "ensure only fans buy it." Sounds like a load of Hoopla!

I usually go to a show expecting to spend ~$20 on merch (depends on the band, of course), and I'm open to buying another copy of a record I already own if that's all they have.

next thing you know, I have 9 banner pilot records (admittedly a bit of an overkill), 3 copies of kepi's double, and 3 copies of dear landlord's "dream homes". gotta support the bands you like

oh, and I always bring a folded up plastic bag in my pocket... I hate carrying records under my arm, and I'm fine looking like I bought a bunch of punk records at target

I usually go to a show expecting to spend ~$20 on merch (depends on the band, of course), and I'm open to buying another copy of a record I already own if that's all they have.

next thing you know, I have 9 banner pilot records (admittedly a bit of an overkill), 3 copies of kepi's double, and 3 copies of dear landlord's "dream homes". gotta support the bands you like

oh, and I always bring a folded up plastic bag in my pocket... I hate carrying records under my arm, and I'm fine looking like I bought a bunch of punk records at target

This is why I love the Unitarian Church in Philly, you can bring in a bookbag. On Thursday I'm going to see Title Fight, The Menzingers, and Touche Amore and expect to have that bag filled. Poor bank account.

there was a time when buying records at shows was one of your only options. I would save ahead of a big show knowing there would be a ton of merch tables by the bands, distros, kids selling their collections, etc. If you wanted a touring band's records that was it or hunt down the label info from a zine or something. Now the internet's tubes are filled with vinyl. I say support the band. they get money for food, you get instant gratification and maybe a rareish color if you're in to that kind of thing and the carbon footprint of the shipping has been paid for. what else are your going to spend your money on? rent?

I always expect to go in, purchase the records I want, and walk back out to my car to put them away safely. Carrying merch around at a show is such a bummer. And if you wait til the end of the show, either the band is packed up or the good stuff is gone!

I went to the pissburgh chariot show a few months ago on the haste the day tour and picked up 4 copies of the 7" tour press (1 for me 3 for people on here). Although the merch guy said they'd have enough I still bought before the show because I was nervous they'd sell out since I told people I'd grab copies for them. The majority of that show was spent up front in the packed, raging, stage dive apocalypse trying to make sure they didn't get wrecked since I couldn't stash my backpack anywhere. Buying before if you can't make it back to your car is deff a bad idea at big shows unless you know what you want will be gone.

I always expect to go in, purchase the records I want, and walk back out to my car to put them away safely. Carrying merch around at a show is such a bummer. And if you wait til the end of the show, either the band is packed up or the good stuff is gone!

I went to the pissburgh chariot show a few months ago on the haste the day tour and picked up 4 copies of the 7" tour press (1 for me 3 for people on here). Although the merch guy said they'd have enough I still bought before the show because I was nervous they'd sell out since I told people I'd grab copies for them. The majority of that show was spent up front in the packed, raging, stage dive apocalypse trying to make sure they didn't get wrecked since I couldn't stash my backpack anywhere. Buying before if you can't make it back to your car is deff a bad idea at big shows unless you know what you want will be gone.

There's also the option of staying back. YEah it sucks, but do you want to keep the stuff you just spent your money on in good condition, or do you want to enjoy the show? DOn't mean to be a dick, but these are decisions you gotta make sometimes. Sacrifices.

I love buying vinyl at shows, since I'm European, it's always cheaper than paying for shipping or buying it from a record store.

I also think it's cool that you can just have a chat, at a festival I spoke to the drummer and guitarist of no trigger for a while and bought the Be Honest 7", also, all vinyl I've seen at concerts was cheaper than online, like 10 euro's for 1 lp.

There's also the option of staying back. YEah it sucks, but do you want to keep the stuff you just spent your money on in good condition, or do you want to enjoy the show? DOn't mean to be a dick, but these are decisions you gotta make sometimes. Sacrifices.

Nah it's common sense, not being a dick haha. It was one of Haste The Day's last shows and my first time seeing them so I figured it was worth the effort.

• 1 month later...

I always buy vinyl as soon as I get there for the fear it'll sell out by the end of the show. I always ask the merch guy if he can hold it for me till the end and never has anyone said no to this request. That said, I don't drive to gigs as I generally like to get good and drunk! If I had a car, that'd be the way to go!

wish i could've had that at the sstb i went to, i love buying vinyl from the bands though. i mean online he could've paid 21 for the record and like 5 for shipping so he lost 4 bucks in essence, not even enough to buy the whole band mcdoubles. im pumped to go see touche amore next tuesday and hopefully get lucky draw on colors for ptsbbam that i didn't get from my pre-order and then they can actually see their fans buying merch and truly appreciating what we do for them by purchasing at the show. its nice to have that warm feeling like helping about someone or a group of people you actually like instead of giving a bum a buck for a 40 of cobra who are usually begging outside

i always get to shows early enough that i can buy merch right away and take it out to my car so i don't have to carry it all night. especially helpful for tour prints--i've seen people pay $25 for a poster and then let it get all fucked up because they were up in the crowd at the front.

i always get in good with the merch dudes. eric (circa survives merch guy) was so chill he saved a tour print for me till the end of the show so i wouldnt miss out on one. chill dude.