I'm the most educated person I hang out with!

I just got word that my capstone project (something sort of like a thesis, but not really) got accepted for my Master's in Education. That means I graduated on Friday!

I didn't walk because, who gives a shit, I've done it so many times recently, but mostly because the ceremony was Friday at 9:30am, and I teach, so I'd rather be in the classroom.

But I now have a BA from Syracuse University in History/Economics, a Professional Certificate for Secondary Social Studies Education from SUNY Buffalo (UB), and now an Ed.M in Secondary Social Studies Education from UB.

Now what? I've been in school as a student for 21 years straight. It's going to be weird not having homework myself now.

Guest markovianprocess

Congratulations. I've currently got a Bachelors (Hons) in Social Sciences from Glasgow Caledonian University, I'm finishing a Masters of Science in European Public Policy at University of Strathclyde this year, then at the end of the year, I've just been accepted for a Masters of Literature in Journalism at the same university.

Ideally, I'd still like to get a music composition degree, even if it's only an HND or something.

Uh, I almost have an AAS in Computer Information Systems... I feel worthless.

Congrats man, you certainly have a much greater drive then I do. Are teachers required to get their Masters in NY state? My mother went back to school to be a teacher like 10 years ago, and in Ohio you are required to get a Masters with-in 10 years of getting the BA.

In NYS you get initially certified (can't teach public school without that), then you have 5 years to get your master's and 3 years of experience (2 of which have to be supervised) to get your professional certification. It used to be permanent cert, but they got out of that. The hardest part right now is getting the experience, but NY will gladly let you pay for an extension.

I teach Global 10 self-contained special ed, Economics, and Participation in Government. Most people hate teaching econ, but I love it since I have a degree. I absolutely love teaching, though.

I believe I've posted before, but I'm a budget victim. Cuts came and being 2nd from the bottom, I got the chop (as did two people above me). I am staying here for at least this year, and I've got a really solid lead on a great private school. I'd like to, ideally, make it back into this public school I'm at now because of all the places I've been in, this is my favorite (rules, admin, co-workers, department) but there's no room right now. I'll try again in a few years.

Congrats on your Masters. I too have a Masters in Education. Totally useless unless you teach or plan on doing something administrative later on. Neither of which I do currently.

I used to think I wanted to teach. Now I've got two shitty jobs that don't afford me a great salary, so I think I'm going to suck it up and just give teaching a try. That was my plan. Just afraid I won't like it or be good at it.

Nice work! I'm going to make a thread when I finish up my MAT in June. I'm at 20 straight years of school. And like the glutton for punishment I am, I am actually considering what classes I'm going to take post-Masters. Props to the teachers here, too. What a miserably shit-on profession. In some countries, teachers are so highly regarded as professionally elite. Here, we are the butts of jokes, budget cuts, political agenda, and serious scrutiny. Feel free to reach out if you ever want to talk teaching! Next year, I believe I'll be teaching in a self-contained K classroom. I plan on playing a lot of music. :)