Transporting Records Across the Country

I'm moving from IN to WA in about 2 weeks. My wife and I are flying, but all of our stuff is getting U-Haul'd by a company called United States Van Lines. They have to drive probably 3 or 4 days in what I'm assuming will be hot and/or humid temperatures (June 1-4).

I have about twenty 12" and six 7". I know it's not a lot, but they're all new and in really good condition and mean a lot to me.

Fly with them? Pack them? Ship via post office?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I thought of that, but I don't think I can fit 20 LP's worth of mailers on the flight as a carry-on.

You don't need mailers. Put them in some type of bag and carry them on. I do that every time I fly somewhere and go record shopping. I've carried on 20+ records several times. That way they're always in your possession and control.

pack the 7"s in cardboard and bring them on-board since you only have a few.

put two records in each mailer (10ish mailers total if you have 20ish like you said)

10 mailers x $3 or $4 shipping = $30-$40 shipping total

That's what'd I'd do.

How can you thinking entrusting them with the USPS is safer than carrying them on or even sending them with the movers?

At least with the movers they aren't going to be banged around when move from truck to plane to truck.

---

If you are worried about their damage, USPS should be the last option. Carry them on. It's not a big deal. (See above).

just put them all in a 13x13x13 box with a lot of padding and either ship them to yourself or have the movers move the box but mark it fragile...this isn't rocket science, If you ship them add insurance of at least a $1-the value isn't displayed on the box so as far as the handler knows it's worth $1000 or fed ex them or UPS ship them, which automatically has insurance built in.

you have 2 weeks, order a box from uline or ebay or something. This isn't rocket science.