Blindside - A Thought Crushed My Mind

Since Brent came out and said it, and since I'm getting a bazillion PMs about it, I'm making a thread.

Essentially we're doing a co-op, everyone involved chips in an equal amount in order to cover the funds required to get this pressed. Obviously, the more people that get in on it, the cheaper the price for the individual. As the units sell those involved will get their money back, when/if all of the units sell everyone will get all of their money back. We will be working out some sort of repayment scheme.

Broken Circles will be pressing this as a 2x LP. Take a look at the Broken Circles website and store if you are unfamiliar (http://www.brokencircles.com/). There will be colour options, and perks for those involved in the co-op.

300 units will cost the co-op roughly $3,200. I'd like to get at least 10 people involved so that the cost per person is $320 or less, which I think is a relatively easy amount to swallow for a venture like this.

I've only just started getting the ball rolling on this this weekend, but I've already had a great response. I'm sure getting at least 10 people will not be a problem. I've had some back and forth with Blindside and it seems promising on that front as well, I'd be surprised if we hit a roadblock there.

If you have any questions please post them here, and I'll do my best to answer them.

There is the possibility of not making all of your money back if they don't all sell. I would suggest keeping the co-op pressing low in order to reduce cost and risk for those involved. I'd be very surprised if 300 doesn't sell out relatively quickly, but 500 could potentially take a while to sell.

Sifting through my PMs/emails/and replies to this thread we have people in of this so far:

• [*:6gzm3hvs]1 Daegor
    [*:6gzm3hvs]2 Lorenzo Von Matterhorn
    [*:6gzm3hvs]3 oxeneer
    [*:6gzm3hvs]4 scully
    [*:6gzm3hvs]5 vinylremains
    [*:6gzm3hvs]6 ptrsev
    [*:6gzm3hvs]7 donlombardo
    [*:6gzm3hvs]8 TorchesTogether (non-VC)
    [*:6gzm3hvs]9 Slaw (non-VC)
    [*:6gzm3hvs]10 jasonskanks
    [*:6gzm3hvs]11 deafmx
    [*:6gzm3hvs]12 somethingvinyl (if we get to $200 per person)
    [*:6gzm3hvs]13 phil (if we get to $200 per person)
    [*:6gzm3hvs]14 smailtronic (if we get to $200 per person)
    [*:6gzm3hvs]15 dreamover (if we get to $100 per person)
    [*:6gzm3hvs]16 trashbum86 (if we get to $100 per person)
    [*:6gzm3hvs]17 element101 (probably?)
    [*:6gzm3hvs]18 danalive (probably?)

If I have a question make next to your name I'd really help to give me a definite yes or no, or at least a threshold as deafmx and somethingvinyl have done.

These are just the people I have contacted too, spread the word, even beyond this board.

We'll take a maximum of 32 people ($100 per person)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be interested to see a rough estimate for pressing 500 (two colors). On the heels of their new release, I think that nostalgia/renewed interest will drive demand higher. Also, I'd be more likely to get involved if it was more than just a break-even kind of thing for the co-op members (500 i/o 300).

I'd be interested to see a rough estimate for pressing 500 (two colors). On the heels of their new release, I think that nostalgia/renewed interest will drive demand higher. Also, I'd be more likely to get involved if it was more than just a break-even kind of thing for the co-op members (500 i/o 300).

this is pretty much where im at.

Not trying to be "that guy" but I feel like you get a much bigger response/people wanting to help if you pressed Silence first and then using that money to press back catalog...just my 2 cents that no one asked for...

I guess it's because Silence was on a major, and with that comes licensing and stuff, but ATCMM can be done directly from the band... maybe?

How much more would 200 copies more cost to press? any chance of 180 g?

Not trying to be "that guy" but I feel like you get a much bigger response/people wanting to help if you pressed Silence first and then using that money to press back catalog...just my 2 cents that no one asked for...

I guess it's because Silence was on a major, and with that comes licensing and stuff, but ATCMM can be done directly from the band... maybe?

Didn't realize that. For some reason I was thinking ATCMM was on Solid State.

Alright, a bunch of questions, I'll do my best to address them all.

any chance silence or about a burning fire will be put on vinyl ever?? i hope so
I'd be interested in this and Silence

Yes, Silence and AABF were on a major label, and other people have tried in the past to get this pressed, it's not happening.

ATCMM will be directly from the band (possibly Solid State, if they still own anything, waiting for confirmation on this).

How much more would 200 copies more cost to press? any chance of 180 g?

500 units would be $4,500. And yeah, I don't see the need for 180g, Broken Circles always releases heavier and better sounding LPs anyway.

I'd be interested (...) if we can get enough people for the cost to be <40 per person.

That would be 80 people involved (to press 300), no only is that highly unlikely, it would be a logistical nightmare.

500 is addressed above. As whether or not there will be colour, and what that would cost I would have to ask Brent

Definitely down to hear the plans.

I understand the concept, it's not rocket science. But is there some risk. I'm just not sure of the advantage for being a part of the collective. Does this guarantee a record for our stake in it? Like if we pledge the original hypothetical amount of $320, does that mean I'm paying $320 for one record if it doesn't sell the 500 or however many are pressed?

How many copies do you think this record would sell? I say, keep it to a lower amount... Cheaper for everyone involved, if all copies do not sell...

also, I think there would be some kind of extra for the risk takers, like 1 of each color copy, 1 test press and maybe even an exclusive color for all the investors? that would make this a lot more interesting.

We'll work out some sort of repayment set up with Brent, it won't be a deal where they all have to sell or you don't get any back. There is the possibility of not making all of your money back if they don't all sell. As previously mentioned, I would suggest keeping the co-op pressing low in order to reduce cost and risk for those involved. I'd be very surprised if 300 doesn't sell out relatively quickly, but 500 could potentially take a while to sell.

Sifting through my PMs/emails/and replies to this thread we have people in of this so far: (list added to original post)

If I have a question make next to your name I'd really help to give me a definite yes or no, or at least a threshold as deafmx and somethingvinyl have done.

These are just the people I have contacted too, spread the word, even beyond this board.