Blindside - A Thought Crushed My Mind

Here's what's up.

Firstly. This record, the original 12 tracks including Phatbeat, is 54 minutes. I just did a record as a single LP that is 54:30 long. It sounds just as good as a record that was cut at the same time from the same person that is 40 minutes. I would strongly consider this option.

It seems Blindside owns the rights to the recordings, but if we want to use the monkey mask artwork, than I can guarantee you that Solid State owns the rights to the art and we'll have to work a deal out with them for that. I personally think the reissue artwork is boring. But I don't really care what we do, that's just my opinion.

As far as colors, that's up to you guys, you call the shots. I'm down with whatever. I don't care if there is one color or 50 colors. But I do think that everyone that is helping will have a sway in the final decision.

This would be a Broken Circles release. My logo will be on the back. If you guys want to come up with a logo for yourselves to also throw on the back, I don't see why that would be a problem.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Firstly. This record, the original 12 tracks including Phatbeat, is 54 minutes. I just did a record that is 54:30 long. It sounds just as good as a record that was cut at the same time from the same person that is 40 minutes. I would strongly consider this option.

That's divided by 4 sides, not 3, right?

Exactly! No reason to worry about anything. Daegor and myself have both had some back and forth with Tobias, who runs their webstore. He loves the idea and it seems like he wants this to happen, so he's in the process of connecting us with the band. We can figure out things like artwork and everything once we know they're on board. Like Daegor said, for now we just need to focus on getting people into it while we wait to hear from them.

But just because I'm a hypocrite: recommended length is.. what? Less than 22 minutes per side, right? Here's the way I see it, feel free to give input or changes or whatever:

A1 - Vow Of Silence (3:48)

A2 - As You Walk (4:07)

A3 - King Of The Closet (4:04)

A4 - My Mother's Only Son (5:43)

A Side - 17:42

B1 - Act (3:47)

B2 - Silver Speak (3:26)

B3 - Where Eye Meets Eye (3:46)

B4 - Nara (4:47)

B5 - In The Air Of Truth (3:01)

B Side - 18:47

C1 - Across Waters (4:28)

C2 - Nothing But Skin (9:18)

C3 - [Phatbat 1303] (4:07)

C Side - 17:53

And then room on the D Side for something else.

Oh, I guess I took too long typing that. If this ended up being a single LP, that would cut costs to all hell, and I'd be down for that. We could also focus a bit of that saved money into making the release a bit better - full booklets or whateva. And I'm sure some of it could also get that monkey art from Solid State, if they have a high enough resolution of it around.

As far as we know regarding the rights, it was originally a Day-Glo release, completely bought out by Solid State (artwork and all), and then bought out by the band (probably artwork too, as it was included under the slipcover).

Personally (and again, we're getting ahead of ourselves here, but whatever) I am not a fan of the original or re-release artwork. I really liked what Brent did for the new Zao Liberate cover, so I'm partial to having Brent design something new. Perhaps if we do a single LP, some of the money saved could go towards this?

HOWEVER, we'll hold a vote or something when the time comes.

We're all holding our breathe to hear back from the band at this point.

I have more details, and there will be some changes... but I don't want to broach the until we have confirmation that we are moving ahead.

In the mean time, thank you everyone for your commitment and enthusiasm thus far, it has helped a lot!

Agreed. No sense getting ahead of ourselves. There's really nothing else we can do on our end until some decision on their end is made. We got word from the band's manager this morning, and there's going to be some discussion between them and us over the next little bit. That's really it.

I'm really glad that so many of you stepped up in such short time, though. It makes me infinitely excited about getting this done. Like Daegor said, some things are probably changing, but you'll all be in the loop as decisions are made.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

No sense in getting your hopes up about this for the time being. I tried to get back in contact with the band's manager about a month and a half ago, but the email bounced back. Looked into it and the management site is down, along with all of the band sites. We haven't forgotten about this and we're still trying.