The Book Of Mormon

I don't understand how people take Mormonism seriously. Do people honestly believe a dude from New York State who got repeatedly shunned from society ended up in Utah and magically found a book from God only he could read? Or whatever the story is there.

I don't mean to be insensitive, but as far as religions go, this one is comical in its beginnings.

True, but the older religions are established in tradition from a time when people didn't have explanations for the world around them.

From wikipedia:

"According to Smith's account, and also according to the book's narrative, the Book of Mormon was originally written in otherwise unknown characters referred to as "reformed Egyptian" [2] engraved on golden plates. Smith said that he received these plates in 1827 from an angel named Moroni,[3] whom Smith identified as a resurrected[4] inhabitant of the Americas who had written and abridged parts of the book over a millennium prior to the encounter. According to Smith, Moroni had buried the plates in a stone box, along with other ancient artifacts,[5] in a hill near Smith's home in Manchester, New York."

How did/do people take Smith seriously?

I spent a large amount of time in college and graduate school studying religion, philosophy and theology. If we grade religions based on their logical operations according to the laws of logic and their testability within the realms of historical and textual criticism, nearly all of the ancient religions will rank higher than anything birthed in the last 200 years.

On this scale, Mormonism ranks rather poorly.

I don't understand how people take Mormonism seriously. Do people honestly believe a dude from New York State who got repeatedly shunned from society ended up in Utah and magically found a book from God only he could read? Or whatever the story is there.

I don't mean to be insensitive, but as far as religions go, this one is comical in its beginnings.

Is that somehow less believable than a guy who sat in a whale's stomach for 3 days then was spat out on a beach, or another tale about a dude who walked on water before rising from the dead?

Great musical. Respectful in a way of Mormons but still brutally mocking.

Actually, I don't think it's all that funny. There are certainly funny parts, but it simply tries to hard to go out of its way to be as disrespectful as possible all of the time.

It seems to me that it's only getting attention because of how it speaks out against institutionalized religion. If this were about the religion of environmentalism, the critics would have something very different to say about it.

Is that somehow less believable than a guy who sat in a whale's stomach for 3 days then was spat out on a beach, or another tale about a dude who walked on water before rising from the dead?

Not at all, but you have to look at it in context. That was supposedly thousands of years ago when most of the world was illiterate and couldn't explain the natural world. If enough people went around preaching miracles, people would believe them because they were uneducated. Fast forward to the 1820s. You've got a wildly more-educated population, yet they still fell for this guys shenanigans. THAT is why I place a harder emphasis on their lack of reasoning.

When the whole world doesn't know any better because of periods of intellectual darkness, fine, they can have a pass. But we're not in that age of darkness anymore. What basis does religion have in reality?

^^^^^

From Wiki:

"Religion is a collection of cultural systems, belief systems, and worldviews that establishes symbols that relate humanity to spirituality and moral values. Many religions have narratives, symbols, traditions and sacred histories that are intended to give meaning to life or to explain the origin of life or the universe. They tend to derive morality, ethics, religious laws or a preferred lifestyle from their ideas about the cosmos and human nature."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion

Sounds like there's some reason in reality.

Matt, I presume you have no belief in a particular religion, and I understand that. It does seem, however, like you disdain religion or religious people and for that I am perplexed. Why so much effort for something you don't even accept as true?