Netflix Price Hike Effective September 1st

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/netflix-dramatically-alters-streaming-and-dvd-subscription-plans/52247

vNetflix subscribers are going to have some choices to make as the online rental service has dramatically changed its DVD and streaming plans, tacking on a few new options as well.

Let’s cover the new subscription offers first:

$7.99 a month for 1 DVD out at-a-time plan

$11.99 a month for 2 DVDs out at-a-time plan

Now, here’s where it gets messy. Netflix is dividing up its unlimited plans for online streaming and DVDs. That means users will no longer be able to have both unlimited Watch Instantly access and be able to rent as many DVDs per month (either one, two or three out at-a-time plans) at they want on the same subscription. Here’s how it will look now:

Plan 1: Unlimited Streaming (no DVDs) for $7.99 a month

Plan 2: Unlimited DVDs, 1 out at-a-time (no streaming), for $7.99 a month

For subscribers who still want both unlimited streaming and at least the unlimited one DVD out at-a-time plan, they’ll have to fork over $15.98 per month (thus, $7.99 + $7.99). For reference, up until now, the rate for the comparative unlimited DVD and streaming plan has been $9.99 per month.

a 60% price hike if you want dvd + streaming is pretty substantial. they really have very few new movies on streaming, and i mainly watch older television series on there. in my opinion, they should have offered a slightly discounted rate for both, say $12.99 or $13.99.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lame. I know they have a lot more fees now, but didn't the prices just go up a few bucks recently? I may need to cancel and go the gray area route of icefilms, or just cancel my blu-ray service from netflix.

OMG, like 4 real?

it's still a goddamn steal, you people are fucking cheap and whiny if you're complaining about this. If you can't afford $6 more dollars a month for the home delivery service, then you can't afford the $10 it costs now.

This made me laugh and I agree.

OMG, like 4 real?

it's still a goddamn steal, you people are fucking cheap and whiny if you're complaining about this. If you can't afford $6 more dollars a month for the home delivery service, then you can't afford the $10 it costs now.

Horrible argument.

If my favorite local restaurant increased their prices 60%, I would stop eating there, not because I couldn't afford it, but because there are other alternatives the reap similar benefits.

OMG, like 4 real?

Horrible argument.

If my favorite local restaurant increased their prices 60%, I would stop eating there, not because I couldn't afford it, but because there are other alternatives the reap similar benefits.

Correct. Amazon video on demand is only $70/year, plus you get free 2 day shipping on purchases from their site. The only negative is lack of stand alone support right now.

Horrible argument.

Correct. Amazon video on demand is only $70/year, plus you get free 2 day shipping on purchases from their site. The only negative is lack of stand alone support right now.

how does their selection compare to netflix, though?

how does their selection compare to netflix, though?

It's pretty much the same stuff, just a bit less since they just started the service recently. I'm pretty sure you can browse through it all without the prime membership.

I have no problem with this, Netflix was a huge part of destroying the video rental market and now are now actively bidding against networks and cable companies for programming. They secured David Fincher's TV show starring Kevin Spacey called House of Cards and at peak times are the source of 30% of US internet use. It would be insane and borderline irresponsible to not increase costs when taking huge steps with the scope of service.