parting from a zillion variants

Atleast keep your SW collection. Was not winning that 7" that went for $1300 the deciding factor?

Not really. It's just not fun any more collecting tests, etc... I've been fortunate and have gotten most of it for fair prices, but I cringed at the thought that I almost paid more than $1,000 for one 7" (I'm kind of glad I lost). I didn't even bid on the Punkhouse one that was just on ebay, and that went for only $66.

How about selling just your tests?

I made it a rule not to buy tests because they are rare and expensive and I am obsessive. It's a bad combination and I don't want to devote my energy to hunting down tests. I devote too much already to variants.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[image]

this was 100% at the time of the picture. Went and saw them live, didn't have the experience I was hoping for and parted this fucker out and not a fan of the band at all, heh.

I've got a 100% Tigers Jaw collection that I've been thinking of parting out so I can buy a motorcycle, it could happen soon.... ( obviously it wouldn't pay for it all, but I think it would help out a bit :) )

At one point I had a complete Gaslight Anthem collection. To be fair it was only three colours of Sink Or Swim at that point, black, white/red and Euro blue. Once Senor came out I called it quits because I knew I was never getting that white copy.

Now I realize I don't give a shit what colour my records are on. I only purposely own more than one copy of any records: The Ergs! - Dorkrockcorkrod. I have the first and second pressing of that one, and anything more is an accident.

Never really understood the point of collecting every variant. It's not like one color is going to be different from the next. Not to mention that it siphons money from going towards records that I don't own and would like to listen to.

To me, variant collectors are just FAILED flippers in denial.

I had to edit your statement, but agree with it almost in entirety.

I've owned more than one copy of records, but I was young and dumb, and the records were out of print and never getting repressed. Then I sold those copies, made back my money, and bought new and exciting records that changed my fucking mind.

I would rather be blown away by something new and exciting than have more than one copy of a record I already love. Half the fun of record collecting is the hunt for something that you've never heard, or always wanted to hear.

For a while it was a lot harder to listen to some of the band I wanted to listen to, without buying their records, so having five copies of one record, or one copy of five records was a no brainer.

i always go for what i can get cheapest on older records (NOFX, Gaslight, TBR, AM!) and then if i come across a good deal or a repress on a color of a record i really like and/or currently own on black ill grab it.

usually one black is good enough for me, but if a colored variant goes for/i can get it for less than $20 ill pick it up if its a favorite record. other than that i dont bother, black plays just the same.

with all that said, i only have doubles of like 4 or 5 records out of my whole collection

also, I think it's really weird when people do this with new records, or with current bands. I get folks that hunt down rarer versions of records, because that's fucking record collecting right there, but once you have an upgraded copy, sell of the other copy to someone.

Also, when you collect different colors, it often times inflates the value of a record. It's good for record labels, who basically only have to sell to 100 people to sell 500 records, whereas before they had to actually find 500 people to buy the record, but if 150 people want it, there's inflated value put on those 500 records.

This is a totally new and interesting discussion.

I took this as have you ever collected a bands albums and variants and then sold them and how did you feel? Now it's just a discussion on pros/cons of variant collecting, which no one has brought up a new idea on in at least the last 5 years. Stay on track people.

Never really understood the point of collecting every variant. It's not like one color is going to be different from the next. Not to mention that it siphons money from going towards records that I don't own and would like to listen to.

To me, variant collectors are just flippers in denial.

I strongly disagree with this.

Though I think collecting things in generally is silly and a waste of money, I love my variant collection. I have no intend to flip it. I've been mulling over selling it, and if I do I have no intention to try to make a profit. In fact, that wouldn't be possible as I paid 150%~200% market value for most of these records (shipping, import costs). I enjoy and play variants for albums I love. I'm not ashamed of it at all. But I do think it's silly.

I took this as have you ever collected a bands albums and variants and then sold them and how did you feel? Now it's just a discussion on pros/cons of variant collecting, which no one has brought up a new idea on in at least the last 5 years. Stay on track people.

that's because someone always has to chime in and voice it, they can't let the variant collectors have a simple discussion :( BUt you're right, totally new discussion, lol

That's what I meant. If am I am to decimate a collection I put years and thousands into based on a feeling inside that screams "Grow up!" I want to know how others have felt who have actually done it.

I think you're the one who's off track... \sarcasm

I haven't sold any of my variants, but as someone who seems to like keeping things for longer than I need to, I'd either need to be out of money or out of space before I considered selling variants... then again, I only have ~300 records, none of which are of "real" value, and my biggest collections are only a year old, so this post is probably as valuable as a pros/cons of variant collecting post

i imagine that someday once more stuff falls in place in life (getting 2 cars, building up some savings, moving into a house) that i'll try to manage a band or two's complete collection. if i ever have it, not a chance am i selling it. i've had the same pokemon card collection for about 12 years now. i even just completed my original 151!

it's hard to face the music, but it just seems that a lot of variant collectors aren't good with financial planning and budgeting. that's why every hour you see some dude post, "Gotta pay some bills/school loans/rent, selling off all my variants!" anything i've EVER collected, I still have. if you see your collection as a collection and not just a bunch of "high-priced items," it becomes a lot easier to hold on to it and see why you got it in the first place.

note: i had started a completely different post until i read the dude's post saying that everything was getting off topic. this started as a pretty unique thread, but got really unoriginal really fast.

Actually yeah. It was kind of a tipping point. I'd been thinking of stopping for some time and this was definitely the last straw. I actually passed up buying multiple variants of Damnesia and the Dan Andriano record already so I was headed in the right direction. The best thing that happened was 59 sound on green was in a thick ass plastic jacket and was unharmed.

you getting anything from insurance?

my basement flooded and i got some good money back for the records that were damaged

Insurance didn't cover anything (records/carpet/walls/furniture/electronics).

Do you guys ever buy 2 copies of each release to play one and keep one unplayed?

are you talking about variants or two copies of the same album on the same color? yes and no (well, technically yes, because I bought the second copy at a show to support the band and get it signed, but I don't think that counts), respectively