parting from a zillion variants

Let me rephrase that, I thought it was obvious from the second sentence, but apparently it wasn't:

But in that case why buy records instead of CDs or digital downloads? Unless your average vinyl enthusiast prefers the sound from his Crosley to the sound from his ipod. I'd say the visual factor is among the top reasons for buying vinyl. And a part of that visual factor is vinyl color.

Or maybe I'm missing something. Every time there's a "this needs to be pressed on vinyl" thread, is it because the music isn't available at all or because it isn't available in this format? Is it perhaps because records sound so much superior on all the constantly mentioned crosley or ion setups? If it isn't the visual factor and not the sound quality factor, then what is the reason for buying records instead of music in other formats? Is it an availability issue? How many releases mentioned on this board are vinyl-only, compared to the number of releases mentioned that are digital-only?

no, your assumption was obvious but so dim-witted i chose to ignore it and move on to your other statement. apparently you think everyone here is some new found collector nerd who only collects records and listens to them on on crappy all in one record player that they got at the local best buy. it proves your naivety.

i'm just saying buying a record (or any music format) should be bought solely to listen too first and foremost. sure people like everything else that comes along with it. i love my hyperrealist red album, but that's not why i bought it. doesn't matter what format it's in. if it's a cd, i'd say the same thing.. buy it too listen too. not to look at the liner notes and layout, completely having the music as a afterthought. if so then go buy a artbook if the visuals are clearly what you're after. i don't go buy food to just look at it. if it doesn't taste good i'm not gonna eat more of it because it's visually appealing. knowwhatimeanvern.

also a lot of what i buy is in vinyl format only. i'm also from a age where records were around before cd's or cassettes. so i'm a bit conditioned as well.

moonbeams: i see what you're saying. you like sitting down, and listening to the record and checking out the artwork and reading all the lyrics and thank list, or whatever. i get it. you like the visual packaging. sure i like that too, i loved torche's meanderthal lp so much because it was awesome packaging, but if it came with a one sheet cover from kinkos, if the music was the same, i'd still enjoy it just as much. that's all i'm saying. music first, packaging second. i don't enjoy a record more because of the packaging. if the music doesn't do it for me, the visual art won't either. if my posts seem a bit disgruntled, don't take it to heart as sometimes my words are crass but that's they way i write. i can say it with a smile and it'll still come off a bit flippant.

just for the record, i don't have a problem with people collecting variants. it's one of those things that i think it's stupid in general, but im guilty of it as well as anyone else. so i can't judge. i see it more as a game, but that doesn't sway my love for music in any way.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks everyone. I'm lugging a box full of variants to the local record shop as I type.

that's dangerous and sad (assuming it's a collection rather than just a bunch of random doubles)

My collection. I want to part with it. Unfortunately, I was only offered 50 to 200 yen per record, citing that color doesn't mean much in Japan. eBay, here I come.

The VARIANT is COM's equivalent of the PHP zval; it is a structure that can contain a value with a range of different possible types. The VARIANT class provided by the COM extension allows you to have more control over the way that PHP passes values to and from COM.

haha +1

My collection. I want to part with it. Unfortunately, I was only offered 50 to 200 yen per record, citing that color doesn't mean much in Japan. eBay, here I come.

I wish you luck--what are you selling?

Variants of methadones, vindictives, noise by numbers. Debating breaking down my Screeching Weasel/Riverdales collections.

I wish you luck--what are you selling?

Variants of methadones, vindictives, noise by numbers. Debating breaking down my Screeching Weasel/Riverdales collections.

I like the methadones, screeching weasel, and the riverdales... though I think the albums I need were only on one color... but yeah, pm me if you want

I haven't done it but am thinking about it, i only really collect Lawrence Arms + associated variants i have a few other complete or near complete collections but my Larry Arms is by far the biggest, but recently i have lost the thrill of the chase it just seems like i'm going through the motions.

There are a few readily available variants i haven't picked up and that just makes me think i may as well break it down. to be fair, give or take a few bands i haven't really been that up on pre-orders or the like for a while, now i generally wait until i see them at a show or in a store and some things have just passed me by. I have just been getting more enjoyment out of listening to my existing collection than buying to add to it.

I've been preparing for this breakdown for months now.

I used to have my variants on my shelf. And I truly liked them. I enjoyed variant collecting. Months ago, I took all of my variants and reissues and put them in a closet. Surprisingly, I've never missed them. In fact, I like my record shelf better without them.

I feel that variant collecting adds stress to my life. When a new variant is released, I think crap, now I have to spend money on something I already have. You start buying from habit.

One of the influencing factors of my decision to let go of some variants was the 3/11 earthquake. I was in my room when it hit and saw things falling off of shelves. I thought my apartment was going to go down and surprisingly, I didn't think twice about any records. I grabbed my briefcase, my wallet and a pair of shoes and rain the fuck out of the building.

I was fortunate not to lose any records (my pro-ject was hanging off the shelf, so lucky), but since then I've been donating to charities every day. It got me to thinking, why I am I spending money on something I already have when their are people with nothing?

I have 3 variant collections that mean a lot to me. Screeching Weasel, Riverdales, and Go Sailor. All other variants I have decided to let go of. I'm still mulling over the above collections. I'm gradually shifting to keep the variants/pressings I like and and let go of unneeded records. I don't have to have every record.

I want to make the shift from mindless consuming of whatever labels churn out to selective purchases of products I really care for. In other words, instead of going for a "complete" collection for the sake of "completeness," I can just get what my heart wants. The more I think about it, the latter option feels more fulfilling.

that's dangerous and sad (assuming it's a collection rather than just a bunch of random doubles)

That's not just Japan, color doesn't matter to most brick and mortar record stores anywhere.

I don't know how I feel about collecting variants yet. It does seem silly to continuously buy the same album over and over. But it's still cool in concept to have every variant.

I have chosen 1 band that I will do this with.

Wyrd (a folk/black metal band from Finland). They aren't all that great and not all that prolific, but it also means that the albums aren't that expensive and there aren't that many of them.

They have 4 albums released on LP and 1 7". Each LP has 3 variants and the 7" has but 1 (black).

I currently am waiting for the last release outstanding to arrive in the mail. I also have 2 of the 5 test presses and though I'll keep my eye open for the others, I also realize that there were but 5 of each made and the chances of finding those outstanding are quite slim.

Since there are but 12 albums, I'm likely to frame them all and display them as opposed to having multiple copies of each record sitting in the crate.

I have decided to take the plunge. I just pre-listed the first part of my 80-some piece Screeching Weasel collection on eBay. The items will be available from 9 pm PDT.

To be frank, this feels really good. I can't wait to get rid of this dead weight that has been holding me down.

I choose my own collection. I don't have to buy something because the record label puts it out. It's great.

I sold off most of my variants a while back. I felt pretty goofy having an entire Expedit cube filled with AM! LP's. They were fun to track down, but I just couldn't justify it going forward. I still have some, but it's mostly either ones nobody wanted, or ones I know aren't worth getting rid of. (For $1-$2, there's some records I'd rather just keep, y'know?)

I don't regret it at all. While I did it because I really loved a few bands, even after selling the variants I still love the music just the same.

I don't know how I feel about collecting variants yet. It does seem silly to continuously buy the same album over and over. But it's still cool in concept to have every variant.

I have chosen 1 band that I will do this with.

Wyrd (a folk/black metal band from Finland). They aren't all that great and not all that prolific, but it also means that the albums aren't that expensive and there aren't that many of them.

They have 4 albums released on LP and 1 7". Each LP has 3 variants and the 7" has but 1 (black).

I currently am waiting for the last release outstanding to arrive in the mail. I also have 2 of the 5 test presses and though I'll keep my eye open for the others, I also realize that there were but 5 of each made and the chances of finding those outstanding are quite slim.

Since there are but 12 albums, I'm likely to frame them all and display them as opposed to having multiple copies of each record sitting in the crate.

[image]

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE

My once 80-some piece complete Screeching Weasel collection (other SW related bands) has been chopped up into little pieces and sent around the world.

Do I feel sad?

I feel silly for spending so much time and money putting it together in the first place.

It is truly liberating being free from the collecting part of this hobby. My shelf looks a lot better and more varied. I did keep variants of 4 releases because I couldn't decide which to let go of. But honestly, I don't like seeing them on my bookshelf.

Thanks to everyone who bought my records. Still some for sale as BIN on the link in my sig, albeit quite expensive.