Blink 182- Neigborhoods P/O

Guest nauticaboi555

I'm pretty sure that any band that provides an escape from growing up or music that transports us to a different time in our lives is always relevant (at least relatively speaking). Not every band has to be politically relevant or musically groundbreaking. As far as Blink being "one of the most respected pop punk acts of the last 20 years" I think within that musical culture you'd be somewhat hard pressed to find artists that would contest that.

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure that any band that provides an escape from growing up or music that transports us to a different time in our lives is always relevant (at least relatively speaking). Not every band has to be politically relevant or musically groundbreaking. As far as Blink being "one of the most respected pop punk acts of the last 20 years" I think within that musical culture you'd be somewhat hard pressed to find artists that would contest that.

Well put. I think anyhow.

relevant as in a lot of people cared about that band before they broke up and still do now that they are back together
Relevance means they are connected to the matter at hand. They were relevant back when pop punk was all the rage. Now it's not. Coming back for a reunion when their musical style has fallen out of popularity with the masses (because they are a band for the masses) is the opposite of relevancy.

I'm not saying that people aren't stoked on them being back and I still have Dude Ranch on my ipod but to call them relevant is a bit out there.

relevant as in a lot of people cared about that band before they broke up and still do now that they are back together
Relevance means they are connected to the matter at hand. They were relevant back when pop punk was all the rage. Now it's not. Coming back for a reunion when their musical style has fallen out of popularity with the masses (because they are a band for the masses) is the opposite of relevancy.

I'm not saying that people aren't stoked on them being back and I still have Dude Ranch on my ipod but to call them relevant is a bit out there.

Pop punk is not a relevant genre in 2011?

Have you read this board before? haha

I know Mark and Tom have said the title is based on the fact that the record is all over the place, they've all got these different influences etc, but at a glance it does look like a hack job of songs separately written and sent to each other's studios to add little things and each member just kinda wrote whatever they wanted with no real songwriting input from the others, just a "here's my song, add your shit". Snake Charmer is a terrible song name. It's weird too that the deluxe tracks are all "Mark" songs (He posted lyrics to Kaleidoscope and Fighting The Gravity on his Facebook a while back and Heart's All Gone is clearly his style more than Tom's).

I'm not complaining because we haven't heard the record yet, but at a glance it's looking very choppy and inconsistent, more like leftovers from AVA and +44 featuring each other. We won't know till we hear it I guess. Just a thought.

Pop punk is not a relevant genre in 2011?

Have you read this board before? haha

With the masses. It's up there in my post.

What "masses" the top 40 radio masses? Over the past year several relevant pop punk bands from back in the day have or will release albums. I'm not here to debate whether they're good albums but New Found Glory, Blink, Sum 41, Simple Plan, Taking Back Sunday, Unwritten Law, Yellowcard, Allister, Good Charlotte all released albums in the past year. Now correct me if I'm wrong but (most) these bands were at the height of the "pop punk" surge 2000-2003 and I'm not even mentioning the newer bands (Four Year Strong, Fireworks, Set Your Goals, The Wonder Years, and others.) So to say pop punk as a genre is irrelevant or dead is just assanine. Yes, they may not be getting the recognition on top 40 stations as much any more but they're still putting out albums.

by knockign on one of the last 20 years' most respected acts.

!

LOL get the fuck out of here.

and for the record i am a casual fan of the band but at this point beyond playing a few shows the re-union should have never happened. it's just pathetic at this point.

Lol? Firstly, far more than "a few shows", they gave a shitload of fans that had never got to see them, a chance to finally see them. They've made an album in no more time than a lot of bands that didn't have to reconnect at all. It hasn't taken ages at all, only 2 and a half years, for them to tour around plenty, and record and soon to release an album. That's not pathetic at all.

Keen for a Vinyl package pre order to go up!

Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think Blink-182 could start this much shit.

I mean seriously. It's the same shit on a different day in a different b-182 thread.

And there's a lot of b-182 threads. Holy shit is there a lot of b-182 threads.

I'm pretty sure we all get it though. They're reuniting, touring and recording a new album!

That sucks/is cool! Buy that shit with a pre-order/pre-orders suck!

/thread

just remember kiddies.. just because something is relevent, doesn't make it neccessary. IMO blink had a handful of catchy tracks (mainly dude ranch and prior) but basically ends up being a 3rd rate descendents/ALL clone who wasn't as talented/amusing... they just hit at the right time and had a HUGE marketing push behind them. I've seen them a handful of times and watched them get outclassed majorly by their tour mates every time (ALL, Bad Religion,. Green Day)