Bands That Broke Your Heart

you were 10 years old when mwY's and Copeland's first full lengths were released.

How is the age of some one relevant to how much they enjoy a band and their releases?

For me seeing a band live is a huge factor into how I feel about a band. Many times I won't "get it" until I see them live. If you weren't alive when the band toured you may not get the same connection.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you truly love a band, then you're going to love what they put out - no matter what. If not, you just like the albums they put out, rather than actually loving the band. For example, if you were to "love" mwY through all of their albums, but then hated them after you heard their latest work, you never loved them in the first place...you just had some weird, shallow infatuation with albums you viewed as pure entertainment. Bands like that keep the same main point in their music, and that's where you should put your actual loyalty.

you can love a band, but not love an album they put out just like you can love a person, but not love everything they do.

for example, if your husband buys a loud, ugly motorcycle, and always leaves the lid up on the toilet, you can dislike that he did/does those things, but you still love him, the person.

tadkinsutk, don't make me give these dumb examples again. and buy some vowels, while you're at it.

It took a lot of putting up with The New What Next by Hot Water Music. I try to pretend it was by The Draft.

Can understand why Against Me! hurt so many people's feelings, I was never that convinced he was convinced.

Also: Rilo Kiley's last album and Shades Apart's last two albums, urgh. I'm also hoping Realism by Magnetic Fields was a mere detour from the good shit.

Weezer pretty much devastated me. Blue album is great but pinkerton is in my opinion one of the better writter popcore/pop punk(whatever you wanna call it) records of all time. That album means alot to me and then green came out. While green is a good album it disappointed me. They saved face a little with maldriot but when Make believe was released i was stunned of how bad it was. After that the band was pretty much dead to me.

Saves the day is one after Stay what you are the albums are just plain different. I dont dislike them they are just not what saves the day is. Most of the band is gone now, I think everyone but Chris and they should probably just make a new band and release material under a new name.

Also Set your goals. After mutiny they lost their edge. Every record after that has been immensely disappointing and just lacking that energy and fire mutiny had. Also not to mention how incredibly poppy the new album is

Social Distortion and their new crap album. I've been a fan since Mommy's Little Monster first came out and have accepted their "growth" throughout the years, but I took two listens to the new album(bought two diff vinyl colors) and shelved it. Then, I sold my tickets for the show. Maybe I am a bad fan, but I couldn't stand listening to that shit live.

heart breaking is a bit of an overstatement, but:

thrice after identity crisis

rise against after the unraveling, and maybe half of rpm

lemuria after the split with kind of like spitting

minus the bear after highly refined pirates

all bands that have already been mentioned, but there is nobody else i can think of.

as others have said -- saying if you don't love everything a band does you don't really love the band is just utter nonsense. This goes into the depths of all that "real fan" bullshit people bother themselves with.

For me it is Incubus. They completely removed themselves from their origins and the new stuff is just so.. bland. Their drummer is incredible but now he plays the most generic grooves, you might as well have plucked him from an 80's hair band. I used to think this bnand could do no wrong but the direction they have gone down is just so far gone from where they come from they might as well change the name of the band.

If you truly love a band, then you're going to love what they put out - no matter what. If not, you just like the albums they put out, rather than actually loving the band. For example, if you were to "love" mwY through all of their albums, but then hated them after you heard their latest work, you never loved them in the first place...you just had some weird, shallow infatuation with albums you viewed as pure entertainment. Bands like that keep the same main point in their music, and that's where you should put your actual loyalty.

Every time a band releases something that I find my self dissapointed with. It eventually grows on me and becomes one of my faves. Usually when you can find the bridge from one album to the next or find how their point of view is, it makes the album just that much better.

All the "bro metal" bands I used to listen to.

Killswitch Engage - Pretty got much bad as soon as Jesse left

Shadows Fall - Got bad halfway through "The War Of Within"

Then nothing happened for awhile. All That Remains put out a good record and I thought they were gonna buck the trend and not suck. Little did I realize they were saving up for making the biggest transition from good to utter shit with Overcome. Fuck

I was super bummed and thought that maybe I was just realizing the music was shit and that it was my music tastes that were changing and not the music itself (which was true). But I also noticed that while this was going on As I Lay Dying and Unearth were still putting out decent records that didn't sound like shit.

But yeah, fuckin bro-metal.

Yeah this is probably about as wrong as anyone could ever possibly be about anything. ever. It sounds like it was written by someone who has paid attention to music for maybe 2 months. Either that or someone who in some serious denial about what music they like and why. I predict that if this isn't some level and you really feel this way about music, then someday you are gonna crash and burn. You'll be buying some bands music saying, "I love this, I love this, I love thiiiiiissssssssss, FUUUUUUUUCCCCCKKKKKKITSSOAWFUL!!!!! OH GOD WHAT HAVE I BEEN DOING???? I WASTED MY TIME AND MONEY!!!!! I HATE ALL OF THIS SHIT!!!

i liked minus the bear's planet of ice, interesting sonic texturing and what not. i think the whole pop/math rock thing was getting stale just by itself. menos el oso was pretty bad, but man, omni. not even gonna start. saw them at sasquatch 2010 and it was one of the worst shows i've ever seen, mind you it was a mid day fest set.

say anything after baseball and menorah/majora. ...isnt a real boy was alright but lost the lo-fi charm earlier releases held. didn't even listen to later releases.

brand new is one of those bands i always love. nothing more needs to be said about your favorite weapon through the devil and god. daisy was good, it grew on me after it sank in a bit. jesse lacey didn't write alot of that material but it was still great. guess i'm just happy they're still writing material :D

For me Dead To Me has dropped the ball. I get a lot of people like the stuff post Jack, but not me. It's just not that good. it's okay, but nothing as compelling as Cuban Ballerina and Little Brother.

Also The Get Up Kids certainly dropped the ball ...

And I wouldn't really say these bands by any means broke my heart. Everything runs it's course and change happens.

blink 182

I was waiting for this one...

me too

And from my Nu-Metal days...slipknot sucked ass after Iowa, it was such a great "Fuck Everything" album...and the line "You Can't See California Without Marlon Brando's Eyes" from Eyeless off their self titled is such a fucking cool lyric...compare that to the garbage they are writing now...ughh...kind of bummed that Corey Taylor, the guy my parents were afraid of is now serenading them from the pop charts....

soo lame

if you love a band, set it free. its comes back...blah blah.