The Numero Group

kriss

I just got the Titan 4xLP box for Christmas, and I'm really pleased. The Boys LP is by far my favorite of the 4 discs, but they're all pretty good. I thought Gems were the weakest group who got their own side, but it's still a solid listen. This is my first Numero release, and all the praise they get is certainly warranted - it's an excellent set. I'm really excited for the Lou Ragland box coming in March, and also for the two power pop compilations coming later in the year.

Did anyone get the Boddie box? How is that?

Also, if anyone got the Titan set and wants to sell their Boys 10", let me know...my set didn't come with it.

I haven't gotten ahold of the Boddie box but I've heard nothing but great things about it. If the RSD 35.5 Boddie double LP is any indication, I don't think I'll be disappointed at all.

I love the Titan box - good solid power pop stuff all around. It's especially great if all of those old Cheap Trick, Elvis Costello and Joe Jackson records have been worn out. While you may track one down, I doubt you'll get the Boys 10" easily since it was a pre-order extra for Titan.

• 2 months later...

Just picked up a used copy of the Outskirts of Deep Soul 2xLP at a store today, and I bought the Prix Label 2xLP a few weeks ago. Both are SO GOOD. I'm going to be throwing a lot of money Numero's way this year.

both of those are great! make sure you get the Deep City comp (companion to Outskirts) - I have all but maybe half a dozen of their releases and I love everything I have (I even got nerdy enough to order the file separater that they have in select record stores since I set my Numero stuff apart from the rest of my collection.

• 2 weeks later...

I've heard nothing but good things about it, for sure - it seems that Numero has been releasing mainly box sets lately which are harder sells because of the larger chunks of change required per transaction. Out of the roughly 40 or so releases they have, I've got the majority of them with only a handful that I'll straight up never buy due to complete lack of interest - Boddie and the Codeine box are both on my list but I can't justify them right now.

I've heard nothing but good things about it, for sure - it seems that Numero has been releasing mainly box sets lately which are harder sells because of the larger chunks of change required per transaction. Out of the roughly 40 or so releases they have, I've got the majority of them with only a handful that I'll straight up never buy due to complete lack of interest - Boddie and the Codeine box are both on my list but I can't justify them right now.

I have been meaning to get the Boddie one for quite a while. The packaging looks amazing.

Guest unclerickey

The dude who ran this label was Ken Shipley, which I think someone mentioned at the beginning of this post. He put out the tightest releases in the mid-nineties through Tree Records, including the Eucalyptus Comp, The Owlitian Mia 2x7, The Franklin LP, and the mighty Post Marked Stamps series, perhaps the greatest emo release ever. His attention to detail was flawless, so it's really no wonder he helps run Numero.

Buy the Prix Label collection, it's bananas all the way, you dimwits.

• 2 years later...

Giving this a sold bump. I've always had a thing for soul, I'll hear it in a store or something and really dig it. Just like jazz, it's a huge unfamiliar genre that I never took the time to dive into. A local store posted this photo (below), so i downloaded it. Damn it's awesome, it also gave me a little bit of direction. I'm currently going through these Eccentric Soul comps, very excited. It's a nice change of pace and just all around quality music. Plus, anything to do with the musical history of Columbus has my vote. 

iFeNYr5.png

I enjoy this stuff. But the comps, as Tim said, are hit or miss. Every volume I find one or two obscure songs I add to my set list to DJ. The only problem with this is that because it's obscure, scoring a 45 is tricky. The best thing I've found because of the ES comp from Numero is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzl-FxB1wMY