DEFTONES "The Vinyl Collection 1995-2011" box set

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just pulled the trigger. 198.67. The coupon code definitely helped. Tax blows though. Fucking IL.

Does anyone else think that from this new picture we have that some of the jackets other than WP look like they have gatefold covers when you look at the spine from that angle?

sure did, it looks like almost all of them are gatefold. fucking cash grab, man... i'm actually happier with my mint OG presses. people seem to forget that represses are not neccesarily always better that originals and, sometimes, they can be quite a bit worse. and yes, i am rationalizing since i know i won't be getting the box lol.

I still can't wrap my head around the fact that it looks like SNW is 1XLP. Just doesn't make sense. And the fact that they are pushing the idea that these LP's have been" re cut from the original master recordings" makes me wonder if that implies that the original presses have been sourced from a lower fidelity source. All I know is that I have to have this set to at least find out if the implied quality is worth it. If I end up feeling that its not, I know I'll have no trouble re-selling it.

nah man, you can tell adrenaline is a gatefold. i was real curious about the mastering too but i can't seem to get any factual info about it. if i had to guess, i'd say that the original presses of WP, S/T, SNW, and DE would've been proper analog pressings while i wouldn't be suprised at all if the the more recent ATF and Adrenaline (black and HT) were just cash grabs sourced from digital.

I'm pretty sure WP through DE are recorded digitally anyhow but as long as the LP's are cut from the studio masters and not just CD sourced, its going to be as good as it gets. I have the '95 promo Adrenaline and I'm pretty sure the album was recorded to tape. The promo sounds excellent and the 2011 version sound damn good as well. Its just louder. If you are correct about the 2011 presses of the first two, then I'm even more glad I'm getting this set. I wish we could get legit information about those original presses. I want to know who mastered and cut them and what the process was.

as far as mastering goes, i'd say they only ones possibly recorded to tape are the first two, but that doesn't mean they were mastered from tape. probably not. but regardless, all of these are well recorded and mastered albums that sound great on vinyl. actually, i wasn't that impressed with the sound of SNW, and if it's on only one record now i don't even want to hear it.

looking at the pictures, it looks to me like only white pony is gatefold, the rest just look like folds on the bottom of the jacket. WB is known for being minimal with this stuff, so I don't see why they'd print special new jackets.

and finally, I just can't for $200. I already have at least one copy of everything.

I look forward to people's thoughts upon receiving this

all things being equal, does anyone think that the black vinyl would sound better/quiter than the colored presses we've got recently? the HT 'tones releases are the only colored vinyl i own and i haven't A/B'd them to my black copies.

maybe slightly, i think. not a stark contrast though.

So are these 1000 copies of the Covers LP from the Record Store Day run of 5000, or did they press a new batch for the box set?

RSD run wasn't 180g, was it?

No.