Elderly Drivers

I'm baffled by this, and want to know if it happens this much elsewhere.

In Buffalo in just the last month or two there have been at least 9 or 10 instances of elderly people simply driving into buildings because they get confused with the pedals. There have been deaths from this stuff.

Is this happening elsewhere? Does it happen all the time, and Buffalo just decided to make it a newsworthy issue?

It's mind-boggling how much it has happened lately.

There's been 9 buildings hit in 19 days.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had a few claims involving elderly people driving into buildings. It happens every once in a while here.

The most common one I see with elderly people are parking lot accidents where they're backing out and don't see other cars behind until it's too late...or changing lanes into other cars on the road without checking the blind spot.

The most common one I see with elderly people are parking lot accidents where they're backing out and don't see other cars behind until it's too late.

Almost had this happen to me. I was backing out and noticed an old guy in a Caddy backing out right behind me. I drive a full size truck so it's not like it's unnoticeable. Anyway I blew my horn like 5 times to get him to stop backing up. I ended up just pulling back into my space to let him go. If I just stopped he would have just backed right into me.

I've had a few claims involving elderly people driving into buildings. It happens every once in a while here.

The most common one I see with elderly people are parking lot accidents where they're backing out and don't see other cars behind until it's too late...or changing lanes into other cars on the road without checking the blind spot.

Yea, I know it happens every now and then, but it's like the new fad here in Buffalo to hop in a car and drive through the front of a restaurant or shop. Nine motherfuckin times in 19 motherfuckin days!

And that's great, but in my opinion, you should have to re-test later in life, and if you're not senile or so over-the-top cautious that you cause problems on the road, you can keep your license. But Maybe at 10 year intervals or something you have to re-test. Once you hit 65 you should have to do it more often.

Florida is packed full of shitty driving old fucks.

B/C Florida and California have large retirement populations they have to renew their licenses more often than younger folks but it is still bullshit.

If you are 80+ you have to renew your licenses every 6 years instead of every 8 years like the rest of us. A lot can change in 6 years... I think after 70 you should have to take the test every year.

my grandfather had cataracts in both eyes so bad he could hardly see....yet kept driving anyways!

my dad also used to help out an elderly couple (my first grade teacher, incidentally). the husband had dementia pretty bad and would forget where he was, etc, but was in fairly good physical health. she was pretty bad physically and could hardly see. the scary part was that they would drive places - he would do the driving and she would navigate/tell him where to go.

B/C Florida and California have large retirement populations they have to renew their licenses more often than younger folks but it is still bullshit.

If you are 80+ you have to renew your licenses every 6 years instead of every 8 years like the rest of us. A lot can change in 6 years... I think after 70 you should have to take the test every year.

do you have to re-test when you renew your license? i'm pretty sure that we don't here, so renewing a license more often wouldn't really be helpful in the 'get senile drivers off the road' plight.

and yes, retaking it every year past a certain age would be a great idea.

do you have to re-test when you renew your license? i'm pretty sure that we don't here, so renewing a license more often wouldn't really be helpful in the 'get senile drivers off the road' plight.

and yes, retaking it every year past a certain age would be a great idea.

I forgot, i dont think they retest you. I had to do a vision screening but nothing else.