PO: 311- Grassroots(On Vinyl for the 1st Time)

Just read this. It's so fucking funny.

http://twitter.com/enjoytherideres

If you go back really far you'll see where he called me a miserable douche. Also extremely funny.

to be fair you seem to make an effort to pick fights on twitter. did the same thing with that overdue collect idiot.

but...twitter fights are just so...funny.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to be fair you seem to make an effort to pick fights on twitter. did the same thing with that overdue collect idiot.

I have never tweeted at him and he has never tweeted at me.

He was trying to make fun of me in a series of tweets to Mind Over Matter Records.

But to be fair, you are right, I have and will continue to make fun of idiots like Enjoy The Ride and Overdue.

Just because this needs to be here... and for those who don't understand twitter.

ETR:

Hey Chad,my label got approved for a vinyl re-issue of catalyst from universal and I know wanted to re-issue it yourself at some point so I wanted to run the idea of making you guys a tour variant so you can make some money. I emailed toni at CEG so we can try and work something out that benefits both of us.Please try to get them to respond to me about it. Thanks so much,Enjoy Tour!

Chad:

You get approved then you ask me? No thanks. I've been trying to release that through my friends label. Bull shit. I would have told you no. Thanks for grabbing my record without our approval. We will not support it

ETR:

we didnt do anything yet other than ask for approval from them. We got"preliminary"approval today which took 6 months of running through hoops. First thing i did was contact you/management cause i read you have been trying to do this but had issues with dealing with universal. I am 10+ year fan and in no way am trying to do anything behind you back. Which is why I contacted you. can you send me an email or dm so we can hopefully work out something that works for all of us. Not trying to be shady at all

Chad:

If you are a random label and rerelease one of our old records without our consent then ask us to help out we will tell you to suck it!

Chad:

I think you are getting my tweets later. You should have asked us before even asking them. I heard about you doing this with other drive thru bands. Just email me.

ETR:

will do, I sent the last one to toni because its not specified who reps you guys. Anyone in particular i should send it to? universal and every major gives everyone the runaround. It took me 6 months of persistence to even get an answer and now you basically told me to go fuck myself when ive done nothing and made a point to contact you asap once i got an answer from them. 100% understand that its your band and your music but please understand im a fan of 10+ years and am not trying to be shady

"Based out of Merrick, New York (516 represent), we provide our bands with marketing and promotion, tour booking, design and creative needs, PR, merchandise support, web presence, and sound recommendations aimed to catapult them to the next level. We have a great deal of experience growing with bands from small nobodies to nationally recognized acts, and have spent an enormous amount of time learning, witnessing, and feeling the pains of striving artists. We’re here to help.

We hope to work with artists who are both creative and innovative in their own right. We believe there is a lot more music out there than the mainstream likes to acknowledge and it is our goal to let the lesser known bands have a chance to succeed."

Says the people that bring you mainstream major releases cut digitally at Pirates Press. And pay huge licencing fees to do it, helping the major affiliated, and major labels, while doing essentially nothing for the actual band.

Fuck it! If the bands are too lazy or don't care about releasing their back catalog then tough shit. I don't think vinyl is really on some bands radar...even though it is one of the few physical mediums for music that still sells.

Hey dumbass, the band was trying to get it released, but it was the label that was holding stuff up.

WHY DO YOU PRESS STUFF WITHOUT GETTING PERMISSION FROM THE BAND? YOU SHOULD FIRST CONTACT THE BAND AND IF THAT DOESN'T WORK IT'S OVER. DON'T GO TO THE LABEL ONLY. IF YOU FOLLOWED THIS YOU WOULDN'T LOOK LIKE AN IDIOT EVERY TIME YOU PRESS A RECORD.

I don't think he cares. Whatever makes him look like a cool record label Exec. He's a dick to everyone except the Universal cock he strokes in order to put out shitty re-issues.

if Chad and he friend's label were serious about doing it they shouldnt have putzed around this long.

legally you don't need the band's permission or consent.

This is what it comes down to. The band slept on it, so Universal gave the licensing out to another label willing to pay the price. Too bad for Chad.

I'm not a fan of NFG (because I'm not twelve anymore) and won't be buying this, but I'm glad records fans want are getting pressed, whether through the band or through an independent label.

Another great Enjoytheride thread!

Also, this tweet made me barf everywhere:

not as upset as me..im having the day from hell dealing with both nfg and 311 who appear to be pissed. two bands ive loved and supported for over a decade that all im trying to do is make them some money and make myself/their fans happy.

"Two bands I've loved and supported (and failed to contact directly) - why are they made at me, some rando, for rereleasing their albums without even talking to us? Don't they know I can make them some money? DON'T THEY CARE ABOUT MY HAPPINESS?!??"

I know how basic music contracts work. Legally, it doesn't matter that the people who actually made the music have no say, they don't own the master recordings. But just ethically and morally, buying your way into becoming a "real label" and pissing off every band you "work with" in the process is the biggest dick move. Especially when you position yourself as an "indie label", and indie labels are generally expected to have higher standards for working with and being fair to artists.

I would love to hear some kind of panicked, convoluted defense from Mr. Enjoy The Ride.

Maybe Mr. Enjoy the Ride will get Stapp-ed.

That was the only good thing 311 has done in their career.

I back this.

Worst "label" going. Seriously, who doesn't clear pressing something with the band? Even if the masters are legally owned by the CD-issuing label, karmic ethics and decency dictate that you at least get the thumbs up from the people who made the music. After all, they might think your label sucks and not want to be affiliated with it and end up causing you serious embarrassment. Oh wait, that's what's happening right now!!

Actually, you know what? PLEASE keep trying to put out records by contacting and licensing from major labels and "jumping through hoops." It provides endless hilarity amongst other people who run legitimate labels and fans alike.

Also, here's a wish list for future releases. Please jump through whatever hoops it takes to get me:

• Crash Test Dummies

• Right Said Fred

• Candlebox

• Collective Soul

• That band that does that "Sex and Candy" song

• No Doubt live 5xLP

These are great bands to "work with" and will be really awesome to you on Twitter.

Wow. You would have thought this dude would have learned his lesson after going behind the Rx Bandits backs with his first licencing endeavor. Unbelievable that he would continue doing the same thing with even bigger bands.

by going behind rx bandits back , do you mean emailing them management & guitarist 2 months before the order was even placed asking them to get involved? I have contacted or attempted to contact literally every single band that ive attempted to re-press. RXB decided They would ignore my 5 attempts to contact them/get them involved as ive stated on this forum many times. If they told me not to press it and that they had an issue then I would not have made it but instead they ignored the situation completely (by they, i mean management/steve cause he wasnt on the recording and didnt care which i didnt know until after cause he was in the band every time i saw them live during progress era). They only gave me an issue once pre order was announced and they realized this was definitely going to happen. Their manager told me she has gotten a dozen requests from fans to press "progress" over the last decade but no one was able to get in touch with richard so she expected this to fall apart as usual. 3/4 of the drive thru bands are 100% with me doing this, they just all hate richard for various reasons. In the rx bandits statement from last year, they did not mention my name or label name once. The statement was intended for richard for going behind their back(which was also behind my back as i was under the impression he was getting consent from all the bands)

As for 311, I emailed management months ago(ive been working on this for almost a year, as dealing with major corporations takes forever). Management never responded and I was told that sony was going to get in touch with them. When it comes to a band like that, its clearly not easy to get in touch with the actual members as they each get a ton of tweets and emails from fans. In the email to management i asked them to please run it by the band and let me know if there is a problem with the plan/asking if they were interested in a tour edition.

As for Nfg, I did exactly what people on here have been asking. I contacted them within hours of getting any sort of approval(which is still probably at least 6 months away from actually going into production) Why would i bother the band regarding something that 75% of the time i get turned down for. Not to mention that this would be my first time working with universal and had no idea their policies until this week. Just as rxb was pissed at richard for licensing it without their permission(which wasnt known by me at the time), chad is pissed at universal for ignoring his friends label request and then preliminarily approving me. Which i totally understand why he would be pissed. I would be also if i got my friend in touch with the label in order to do this and then it just died all of sudden and out of nowhere i stepped in but there was no way for me to know any of the details until talking to him. All of that being said, I am in the middle of an email convo with chad trying to work something out and if we cant then im happy to let his friends label press it. So now that all these assumptions are clarified for the 10th time this year, what did i do wrong again?