skip prevention?

so yeah, my collection is fairly childproof right now, i keep all my stuff in a cabinet with doors, so everything is safe from my three little monsters.

the only thing i can't prevent is them running or jumping when i have a record on.

i was listening to my copy of bloody kisses from the new type o box set and my daughter came running to me and...

SKIP SKIP SSSCCCH

GAHHH FUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

anyone know a clever way to be somewhat active near a turntable without potentially damaging the record or your ruining your listening experience?

all i can think of is putting your turntable in a room with a concrete floor(like a finished basement maybe?) but i live in an apartment so thats out of the question.

so yeah, my collection is fairly childproof right now, i keep all my stuff in a cabinet with doors, so everything is safe from my three little monsters.

the only thing i can't prevent is them running or jumping when i have a record on.

i was listening to my copy of bloody kisses from the new type o box set and my daughter came running to me and...

SKIP SKIP SSSCCCH

GAHHH FUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

anyone know a clever way to be somewhat active near a turntable without potentially damaging the record or your ruining your listening experience?

all i can think of is putting your turntable in a room with a concrete floor(like a finished basement maybe?) but i live in an apartment so thats out of the question.

It will still move

You definitely want to try and vibrationally isolate the cabinet as much as possible. Short of buying a slab of marble to stick under the whole cabinet, I would think using a thick piece of stone under your turntable might absorb a majority of the vibration coming up from the floor.

I was able to score some 4" thick construction grade styrofoam from work to set my turntable on because the bass was actually shaking my entertainment center enough to make the needle skip occasionally. Since I did that there haven't been any issues. I'm sure you could get something similar from home depot or the like. I would think that would be better than something hard like granite because it's made to dampen vibrations and hard materials can actually transmit them sometimes.

I second the towel suggestion. I don't have kids but at one point lived in a place where short of tip toeing, any foot steps near the turntable had an effect. The towel trick solved the problem straightaway (though not without looking slightly tacky - so if aesthetic is a thing for you, maybe not?)

Good advice from everyone here. I have two boys (age 3.5 and 2) so I can feel your pain.

Personally, I would go with the wall mount - which as an added bonus would put your turntable at a height unreachable by small children - although those consumer grade shelves like the one in the photo tend to be really expensive. Like $150.

I know a guy who simply brought some sturdy brackets and an appropriately sized piece of wood from Home Depot, and then he bought a piece of granite to sit on top of the wood. Works great and I don't think he spent more than $30.

Of course, if you don't trust your wall studs, don't do that. That leaves you with two options: either add mass to whatever your turntable is sitting on, or work on the suspension / absorption angle.

For the former, go the granite route. The latter - try sorbothane hemispheres like this ...

http://www.amazon.com/Sorbothane-Hemisph....67908 6&sr=8-27

That's pretty much the same thing as the tennis ball idea, except a lot nicer looking. You can also put these hemispheres underneath whatever your turntable is sitting on as well.

Don't discount the ability of a good cartridge + stylus (properly mated to your tonearm) to handle floor vibration either. I don't know what you're using now, but you'd be surprised at how a good cart with excellent tracking ability can handle those bumps. Of course, there are some things that no turntable can play through, including extra-rowdy kids.