Favorite Comics?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sooo many.

ever since DC rebooted a few months back, I've been near completely avoiding everything because I've not been all that impressed with how they've re-imagined a lot of their properties. That said, I have way too many Batman trades to count (probably somewhere past 200 trades/GN's along with full runs of Legends of The Dark Knight, Gotham Knights, Batman and The Outsiders, Nightwing, Robin, Catwoman, etc as well as a full and uninterrupted run of Detective Comics starting from the mid 1980's to right before the title got re-numbered at #1 a few months ago). I also really enjoy Green Lantern from the Golden Age to recent as well as many of the lesser known DC properties such as Deadman, The Phantom Stranger, Firestorm, Black Lightning and so forth.

In terms of Vertigo stuff - Alan Moore's run of Swamp Thing is amazing as are the current ongoing such as DMZ, Fables, iZombie and the stuff that's wrapped up such as Y: The Last Man.

In terms of indies, my all time favorite is Love and Rockets by the brothers Hernandez as well as the original Eastmen and Laird penned and drawn TMNT from the mid 80's. Anything by Robert Crumb, Harvey Pekar, Art Spiegelman and many of the other underground comix luminaries of the 60's and 70's are endlessly interesting to me and I have several different anthologies on the works of each. Chris Ware's Acme Novelty Library is endlessly great stuff as is Dan Clowe's work (though some of it can get really surreal and out there when he's not spending every panel being a complete cynic).

Robert Kirkman's stuff is also consistently great - The Walking Dead, Invincible, Astounding Wolf Man (now ended), etc as well as Joss Whedon's current work on Buffy Seasons 8 and 9 and the new title Angel and Faith.

Manga also gets me - 70's horror stuff such as The Drifting Classroom as well as more modern horror like Uzumaki or Tomie (or anything else by Junji Ito) as well as more thriller/cat and mouse stuff like Death Note and Monster and the more common stuff like Nana as well.

Sorry to rattle on and tl;dr - I love comics - these are really a tip of the iceberg in terms of what I'd say if I had more room and space to keep going.

the original Eastmen and Laird penned and drawn TMNT from the mid 80's.

Yes. I read these so many times when I was younger. Kriss, what Batman stories would you recommend? I grew up Marvel and occasionally bought some Image comics but rarely, if ever, read any Batman stuff.

I have an understanding of the character so should I start with early stuff or are there self-contained arcs to work through?

Yeah man - I had scattered issues of them but then got the huge anthology of the first dozen or so issues when it came out back in 2009. Bought it at retail for about 30 bucks and then a few months later after TMNT was sold to Disney and the company who had the rights to the anthology lost them, the book ended up shooting up to over $200. There's one on eBay now for $100 and I'd definitely recommend jumping on it for anyone who wants these issues in one place because I doubt they'll ever do a second run of it.

As for Batman, I'm gonna be lazy and copy pasta some recommendations on the character that I made a few weeks ago in another thread. Even this doesn't scratch the surface though and I can continue recommending from there but I think these are all great places to start both to understand the modern base of the character as well as the more complex mythology that's risen around him in the last decade.

Year One by Frank Miller is the obvious place to start and the book that I recommend anyone interested in the Nolan films get their start on since that's where much of the source material (in particular Jim Gordon's heightened focus as a main character) for Batman Begins comes from. Prior to this (the pre-Crisis On Infinite Earth era), DC's continuity was all messed up, so any Batman stories you're reading from the early 80's and before are actually mainly attributed to being about the Batman of Earth 1 - a character who has since died of old age as he's existed since the character began in the late 30's. The current Batman that we know is the Batman of Earth 2 and is seemingly forever in his mid to late 30's.

If you read The Long Halloween, you need to read Dark Victory as well which acts as the follow up and is probably one of the best versions of Dick Grayson/Robin's introduction I've ever seen. If you like those two books, Tim Sale and Jeph Loeb also did three separate Halloween annuals which got compiled into trade as well. If you read Year 1, you should totally check out Year 100 by Paul Pope - it's not in canon but has a really great speculative bent on it where Batman disappears for decades and then re-appears again. Some of the best Bats material is written in the setting of his first couple of years and all of the above (sans Year 100 obviously) fall into this period of time. Anything from the long running Legends of The Dark Knight series is also great and many of the story arcs in that run have been compiled into trade such as Gothic which is a great early Grant Morrison penned story arc that he later uses to some effect in his 'Batman' epic that he's still to some extent working on even now.

In terms of Batman nowadays as an established character with a family all around, the best place to start is the one two story arc punch of A Death In The Family (which revolves around second Robin Jason Todd's death) and A Lonely Place of Dying (which happens near immediately after and sets up Tim Drake who eventually becomes the third Robin). If you want some idea of how great a character Bane is (and I'm not talking that mute awful brute from the 1997 movie either) and what source material Nolan and co are using for The Dark Knight Rises, grab the Knightfall story arc which was for the most part collected into three trades. Read it to see awesome Bane is and to also see the awful early 90's costume the creators put together for Jane Paul Valley aka Azreal aka The second Batman.

Fast forwarding to the 2000's, Grant Morrison's run on the books has been really polarizing but for the most part I've enjoyed it. Start with Batman and Son which introduces Damien Wayne (the brat who eventually becomes the fifth and current Robin) and move on through R.I.P., Return of Bruce Wayne, Batman and Robin (a GREAT series where Dick Grayson once again takes the Batman mantle and acts as a lighter version while Damien acts as a more series Batman-like Robin) and to a lesser extent Batman Inc (where Bruce essentially franchises out the mantle and takes the Batmen of All Nations idea that's been flirted with since the Silver Age and blows it up). I saw you mentioned Hush, also get Heart of Hush as that acts as a great primer for how Hush's character (one of the best new characters in the rogue's gallery in my opinion) evolves and where he ends up.

Also, anything Jim Aparo drawn gets my vote in terms of Batman stuff so even the cheesier stuff like the 80's series Batman and The Outsiders is a fun read.

Preacher and the sandman stick out. I've been wanting to read planetary since I've heard good things. I've read the first Alan Moore swamp thing and it was good, but wasn't amazing. Do the rest get better?

It honestly depends on why you didn't like that first set of issues. It's highly literal and reads more like a book (a comparison that comes to mind is the comic/GN adaptation of the original I Am Legend from the 50's) than a traditional comic. Moore's writing is just that way though (Watchmen, V For Vendetta, League of..., early 80's Green Lantern, etc) so if you want less exposition, then yeah you probably wouldn't enjoy the rest of his run anymore than that first set of issues you read. That said, the imagery and art is really mind blowing and I'm personally a sucker for the series due to Alan Moore's insertion of the more obscure DC horror based characters of the 70's such as Deadman and The Phantom Stranger along with several references to the House of Secrets series that Swamp Thing originated in when Len Wein created him.

Love Flash. Definitely my favorite along side Dare-Devil and old X-Men. I really liked the Shadowland series Daredevil went into. I also really liked a comic series called Morning Glories that I'm not quite sure is still going.

I love Morning Glories, even though I have no idea what's happening.

I'm a big Nick Spencer fan.

Green Lantern is my favorite ever.

i also still really enjoy the old 70s comics, especially the Marvel horror stuff and the old Savage Sword of Conan.

also love a lot of the Vertigo stuff, Hellblazer, Sandman, Transmetropolitan, Y the Last Man, 100 bullets.

Y:TLM and Transmet are probably my favorites. Fables is also up there, though. I've read the first trade of 100 bullets, but couldn't get into it.

I used to read Green Lantern a lot when I was younger, but stopped when they killed off Hal. I don't read any superhero comics anymore. Not really sure why. I did, however, just start reading The Boys and I'm enjoying it so far.

I wish someone would compile an "essential Batman" book for me. I'm interested, but lazy. Mostly Joker stuff, where he's more maniacal and less clowny.

This is what you want: http://www.amazon.com/Stacked-Deck-Greatest-Stories-Leatherbound/dp/0681410159

It's $20ish used but it's worth it - comes nicely bound with a purple ribbon to mark yr place while reading. Has a little of the clowny stuff but is mainly the darker material starting with his first appearance where he was killing folks off with time sensitive gases before moving onward through the 70's where he was re-established as a killer as opposed to the caricature that Cesar Romero made him in the 60's. Moore's The Killing Joke and Brian Azzarello's Joker are also good supplements for what's been done with the character in the last 25 years or so.

I used to read Green Lantern a lot when I was younger, but stopped when they killed off Hal. I don't read any superhero comics anymore. Not really sure why. I did, however, just start reading The Boys and I'm enjoying it so far.

You should definitely check out Geoff Johns' run on GL that started with 2004's Rebirth where he brings Hal back to life from his tenure in the afterlife as The Spectre. That book all the way up until the recent reboot has been nothing short of spectacular as Johns not only brought Jordan back as the main GL front and center but also re-established the entire Corps while adding new Corps to the color spectrum (Sinestro Corp, Red Lanterns, Indigo Tribe, etc).

You should definitely check out Geoff Johns' run on GL that started with 2004's Rebirth where he brings Hal back to life from his tenure in the afterlife as The Spectre. That book all the way up until the recent reboot has been nothing short of spectacular as Johns not only brought Jordan back as the main GL front and center but also re-established the entire Corps while adding new Corps to the color spectrum (Sinestro Corp, Red Lanterns, Indigo Tribe, etc).

I've heard a ton of good things about that run and have been wanting to check it out. My interests are fairly varied though, so every time I go to the bookstore I end up finding something else that catches my eye. You seem like an awesome dude who knows his stuff, so I'll move it up my priority list.