Riot Before: Early Years Kickstarter

thallirn

How did labels put out records before kickstarter? They are doing this to pay for the rising cost of records? Maybe I am wrong but I thought thats what you did with the money you made selling the album. I mean, you charge 15 for the records, and after you split the shares around, you take your money and it goes to funding it. This is like "hey pay us to press this so we dont have to, and then buy it so we make double the profits we did before"

This isnt just in Riot Before's case, this is in all kickstarter cases. I do enjoy this band, but wont be kickstarting this.

I backed this.

The whole kickstarter thing is weird. I think it's good for helping bands fix or get a new tour vehicle.

Pressing records is a different story. I'm all for getting limited releases. But it is sort of getting out of hand. I wish more record labels had a hand in these. That way the money could go into releasing new records.

as a user of kickstarter i think its fine for niche stuff that might not garner enough interest to break even.. everything i've been using it for has been long oop ska records that more likely than not i'd lose a decent amount of money on if we just paid straight out and retailed them.. as there is people who desperately want these records to see the light of day as much as we do.. those people are willing to throw down a little extra cash to get something cool, or in some cases they just love the band and are willing to toss down alot of scratch on it... but also ive promised myself to keep the asking amounts reasonable... $8k to put out 4 records? ive seen some that are like $35k to put out an album.. and thats a little nuts.

as a user of kickstarter i think its fine for niche stuff that might not garner enough interest to break even.. everything i've been using it for has been long oop ska records that more likely than not i'd lose a decent amount of money on if we just paid straight out and retailed them.. as there is people who desperately want these records to see the light of day as much as we do.. those people are willing to throw down a little extra cash to get something cool, or in some cases they just love the band and are willing to toss down alot of scratch on it... but also ive promised myself to keep the asking amounts reasonable... $8k to put out 4 records? ive seen some that are like $35k to put out an album.. and thats a little nuts.

I'll agree with this. if you're using a kickstarter you're amount should not be much more than your cost. Either you're doing it to get the record out, or you're doing it to make money - if you're doing it to make money then take the risk.

Guest markovianprocess
How did labels put out records before kickstarter? They are doing this to pay for the rising cost of records? Maybe I am wrong but I thought thats what you did with the money you made selling the album. I mean, you charge 15 for the records, and after you split the shares around, you take your money and it goes to funding it. This is like "hey pay us to press this so we dont have to, and then buy it so we make double the profits we did before"

This isnt just in Riot Before's case, this is in all kickstarter cases. I do enjoy this band, but wont be kickstarting this.

I can see their point with this one though. Since the band has split, setting up a Kickstarter is more of a case of, "would you people like this record?" because we want to focus on current, touring bands, but you can still have this record too if you pre-order it.

When a label is using both methods (Kickstarter and the conventional way of raising/saving/etc), I don't see the harm.

I can see their point with this one though. Since the band has split, setting up a Kickstarter is more of a case of, "would you people like this record?" because we want to focus on current, touring bands, but you can still have this record too if you pre-order it.

When a label is using both methods (Kickstarter and the conventional way of raising/saving/etc), I don't see the harm.

Good point

I didn't even know Riot Before broke up.

I made it a point to see them at Fest. Heard a rumor that it might be their last show but their singer didn't know yet.