PO Cursive - I Am Gemini

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is brilliant. has anyone else looked at the booklet? it's written as a PLAY. all the lyrics are dialogue. mind = blown

shhh... the lyric sheet should be a surprise. It is great though. It's Cursive in full form. Happy Hollow was full form too but people always call it a disappointment. I think it's great.

Edit: I can't wait to play this on my record player though. Hopefully it'll turn up before the end of the week,

just downloaded this and put it on my phone. haven't had a chance to listen yet.

very excited, tho.

also:

Oh man. What a comeback from Mama.

WHA?!?!?!

i thought mama was their best post-domestica album, by far.

this is brilliant. has anyone else looked at the booklet? it's written as a PLAY. all the lyrics are dialogue. mind = blown

actually the PDF looks to be the CD insert.

the LP (from what i understand) will contain a playbill with the lyrics, as it's insert.

I believe the PDF is the same as what's included with download of the album from iTunes. It's the same liner notes from the CD booklet/LP playbill... the storyline in play form. The PDF has the album artwork but leaves out a few illustrations that you get in the physical CD/LP insert. There's also a background image added to the PDF so it wouldn't look so plain. The CD/LP inserts are black text on white background because that's more like how real playbills are.

The LP insert is set up like a real playbill... 8.5" x 11" with the iconic yellow and black title header at the top, and the CD booklet is reformatted from that. For the LP playbill, we used cardstock covers and plain uncoated paper on the inside to make it more realistic. I think it turned out really nice.

The lyrics are in there but there's a lot of extra description and story information, all of which Tim wrote. I think it's amazing, honestly. Really adds another layer of depth to the story in the songs.

The two versions of the LP, plus the picture disc are up on discogs by the way. CD should be added today.

Glad you guys are into the album so far! I personally think it's their best in a while. The last song is especially great.

I believe the PDF is the same as what's included with download of the album from iTunes. It's the same liner notes from the CD booklet/LP playbill... the storyline in play form. The PDF has the album artwork but leaves out a few illustrations that you get in the physical CD/LP insert. There's also a background image added to the PDF so it wouldn't look so plain. The CD/LP inserts are black text on white background because that's more like how real playbills are.

The LP insert is set up like a real playbill... 8.5" x 11" with the iconic yellow and black title header at the top, and the CD booklet is reformatted from that. For the LP playbill, we used cardstock covers and plain uncoated paper on the inside to make it more realistic. I think it turned out really nice.

The lyrics are in there but there's a lot of extra description and story information, all of which Tim wrote. I think it's amazing, honestly. Really adds another layer of depth to the story in the songs.

The two versions of the LP, plus the picture disc are up on discogs by the way. CD should be added today.

Glad you guys are into the album so far! I personally think it's their best in a while. The last song is especially great.

Even more stoked on receiving my LP now. Any idea when the b-sides will be downloadable?

Even more stoked on receiving my LP now. Any idea when the b-sides will be downloadable?

Sorry, those 10" b-sides weren't available for instant download like the album. There's an MP3 download card for the 10" tracks in each package.

All preorders received as of yesterday will ship out today though, so hopefully you'll have them in hand very soon.

Just listened as well. Easily my favorite since The Ugly Organ.

This topic has been beaten to death, but I'll say that I can't even imagine how someone would actively like Happy Hollow. I actually deleted it from my iPod after giving it about 15 tries. And that's saying something, given that Tim is right up there with J Robbins in terms of artists whose work I respect almost unconditionally.

To each his own, of course, but I think this new one should please a good number of Cursive fans as it's very representative of all their records in a way. Not quite the hard edge of their first 4 records (a bite I dearly miss), but solid on first listen. Can't wait to spin it loud and proud!

This topic has been beaten to death, but I'll say that I can't even imagine how someone would actively like Happy Hollow. I actually deleted it from my iPod after giving it about 15 tries. And that's saying something, given that Tim is right up there with J Robbins in terms of artists whose work I respect almost unconditionally.

To each his own, of course, but I think this new one should please a good number of Cursive fans as it's very representative of all their records in a way. Not quite the hard edge of their first 4 records (a bite I dearly miss), but solid on first listen. Can't wait to spin it loud and proud!

I feel that way about Mama, I'm Swollen but I love Happy Hollow. It has some of Tim's best songwriting & great production/arrangements.

I feel that way about Mama, I'm Swollen but I love Happy Hollow. It has some of Tim's best songwriting & great production/arrangements.

i think happy hollow is fantastic as well, BUT it is also my least favorite cursive album, (not including this one, which i haven't heard enough of to have an opinion yet) but that just goes to show how solid of a band that they have always been, even since the crank days.

hell, even the stuff on disruption is solid to my ears.

i think happy hollow is fantastic as well, BUT it is also my least favorite cursive album, (not including this one, which i haven't heard enough of to have an opinion yet) but that just goes to show how solid of a band that they have always been, even since the crank days.

If you feel that way then can you please try to sell me on Mama, I'm Swollen? I've tried so hard to like it both when it came out & recently but it wasn't happening. It could be the drumming I don't know.

If you feel that way then can you please try to sell me on Mama, I'm Swollen? I've tried so hard to like it both when it came out & recently but it wasn't happening. It could be the drumming I don't know.

i can't really convince anyone to like something. if you don't like it you obviously have your reasons.

personally i hate the album title, i think it's terrible, but the music behind the vocals is fantastic, and the pinocchio references remind me of my childhood.

i also agree with the comparisons of evolution and animal instinct within everyone, albeit he seems to be using it as more of an excuse.

USPS trucks are here now loading up!

Mine still says order placed. Could that be because it's on the same order as the Bright Eyes vinyl?

Nevermind, I was wrong! If you ordered the FULL 6 album Bright Eyes bundle, your Gemini order *will* ship now. It won't wait for the 1st two Bright Eyes LPs to ship on the 21st.

If you ordered just ONE or TWO of the re-issues, anything else in the order will have to wait until the 21st.

i can't really convince anyone to like something. if you don't like it you obviously have your reasons.

personally i hate the album title, i think it's terrible, but the music behind the vocals is fantastic, and the pinocchio references remind me of my childhood.

i also agree with the comparisons of evolution and animal instinct within everyone, albeit he seems to be using it as more of an excuse.

i'm with sean on most of this. mama is likely my favorite since domestica, but i really like the title, imagery, and movement of the album. i think it might be how it portrays more of a domestica-like turmoil and tension, whereas ugly organ and happy hollow were very intent on developing stories (which i also like, don't get me wrong, i just find mama more moving).

i am gemini is... thick. like, heavy. i really like it so far, but i'm going to reserve final judgement for when the record arrives and i can give it a proper listen. i might go so far as to say that where i compare mama to domestica in overall feel and movement, i keep wanting to compare gemini to ugly organ. i think gemini might, though, have my least favorite overall packaging concept. like i said, i will wait for the record to get here.

ok.

just experienced [pot,headphones,lyrics] the album.

wow.

easily tims best story, and, it seems, a lot more tim sig play than their previous works.

(without attempting to reference burst and bloom) a lot of it sounded like shutter to think, musically.

vocally not much different than anything else we've experienced post domestica. maybe a bit more screaming.

fucking great album. can't wait to hear it on my stereo.