PO Cursive - I Am Gemini

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that's true. i don't think SC even put out the first vinyl pressing of that one.

they didn't.

i don't remember the label that did.

pretty sure it's on 200g vinyl tho.

Yeah, it's on 210g vinyl. I'd love to own Storms and Burst&Bloom. Would buy both in a heartbeat. Bought the black vinyl of Gemini, might buy the bundle too.

Yeah, it's on 210g vinyl. I'd love to own Storms and Burst&Bloom. Would buy both in a heartbeat. Bought the black vinyl of Gemini, might buy the bundle too.

It was actually 220 gram vinyl, not 210. It's like a damn manhole cover. If you go to discogs you can see the 220 weight listed on the cover sticker if you look closely at the image. Label was SNC Empire in Germany.

http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=1968732

And never say never about a repress!

It was actually 220 gram vinyl, not 210. It's like a damn manhole cover. If you go to discogs you can see the 220 weight listed on the cover sticker if you look closely at the image. Label was SNC Empire in Germany.

:o tease!

i emailed SC last year about burst and bloom and they said they had no plans for a repress. hopefully that will change!

:o tease!

i emailed SC last year about burst and bloom and they said they had no plans for a repress. hopefully that will change!

You are right about the represses. I emailed them about Good Life Blackout and they said the same thing regarding that record as well. I think the only reason they repressed Domestica was that it is arguably Cursive's biggest record. I just don't see them repressing anything else Cursive or Good Life related. Sadly Cursive is not Bright Eyes in the eyes of Saddle Creek. Just keep an eye out on Ebay or other sites. You can get good deals. I have seen Burst and Bloom and Storms of Early Summer go for around 40 dollars a piece. I got a white copy of Storms of Early Summer on Gemm for 25 dollars shipped to the States. I will never say never about represses but these records are ten years old or more so I wouldn't hold my breath unfortunately.

Sadly Cursive is not Bright Eyes in the eyes of Saddle Creek.

Keep in mind that it's not just a label decision. A band like Cursive gets a pretty big say in what gets reissued and what doesn't. They're looking at the same numbers we are. We both want things to be available for fans, we just want to make sure that it doesn't turn into a huge cash sinkhole for the band or us. Also, there's the consideration of whether a title would be just put back into print vs reissuing something "deluxe" or an expanded edition. Planning a deluxe edition with bonus material takes quite a bit more time to sort out and get everything in place after it's decided on.

I'll just say things are happening in SC reissue world.... some faster than others. But there will be some good things coming for 2012. Others maybe not in 2012, but I think they will happen at some point in the not too distant future. Sorry, that's all I can say at this point, I don't want to get in trouble.

Keep in mind that it's not just a label decision. A band like Cursive gets a pretty big say in what gets reissued and what doesn't. They're looking at the same numbers we are. We both want things to be available for fans, we just want to make sure that it doesn't turn into a huge cash sinkhole for the band or us. Also, there's the consideration of whether a title would be just put back into print vs reissuing something "deluxe" or an expanded edition. Planning a deluxe edition with bonus material takes quite a bit more time to sort out and get everything in place after it's decided on.

I'll just say things are happening in SC reissue world.... some faster than others. But there will be some good things coming for 2012. Others maybe not in 2012, but I think they will happen at some point in the not too distant future. Sorry, that's all I can say at this point, I don't want to get in trouble.

Sorry wasn't try to knock Saddle Creek at all. They are the greatest label I have ever dealt with. Two of my favorite bands ever are on Saddle Creek in Cursive and the Rural Alberta Advantage. I have spent half a fortune buying stuff from the label and will always continue to support the label. I love how personal Saddle Creek is with all its buyers and making them feel appreciated. I do know that Bright Eyes brings in the most dollars for Saddle Creek and with Conor founding the label it makes sense that that Bright Eyes is the biggest band. I would also venture to say that Cursive is Saddle Creek's 2nd biggest band. I totally understand about you guys and the bands not wanting it to turn into a money sinkhole. Would love to have all the represses the Saddle Creek does as I am a variant collector and would love to have the reissues of some of these records. Would also love for the Saddle Creek to press Novena Nocturne even though I know it is on Better Looking Records. Thanks for you guys being such a great label. Your guys work does not go unnoticed.

soooooooo............ is it rude of me to ask for hints? you know how excitable we are!

Sorry wasn't try to knock Saddle Creek at all. They are the greatest label I have ever dealt with. Two of my favorite bands ever are on Saddle Creek in Cursive and the Rural Alberta Advantage. I have spent half a fortune buying stuff from the label and will always continue to support the label. I love how personal Saddle Creek is with all its buyers and making them feel appreciated. I do know that Bright Eyes brings in the most dollars for Saddle Creek and with Conor founding the label it makes sense that that Bright Eyes is the biggest band. I would also venture to say that Cursive is Saddle Creek's 2nd biggest band. I totally understand about you guys and the bands not wanting it to turn into a money sinkhole. Would love to have all the represses the Saddle Creek does as I am a variant collector and would love to have the reissues of some of these records. Would also love for the Saddle Creek to press Novena Nocturne even though I know it is on Better Looking Records. Thanks for you guys being such a great label. Your guys work does not go unnoticed.

I didn't take it that way, no worries. Thanks for the kind words!

I'm a bit of a variant collector, but I don't have it anywhere near as bad as a lot of people I see on here. Luckily I don't like many bands that have 10 (or 30!) different vinyl colors of their releases. I'll usually buy an original press and then one reissue, especially if it's markedly different, like colored vinyl or different packaging. And I only do that for a handful of bands I like a lot.

It can be cool to do something a little different with a release after it's been out of press for a while, like doing Domestica on 180 gram red this last time around, when it had previously only been on black or standard red. But we don't want to ever appear like we're releasing different versions so people will buy the same record multiple times, that's never been something we've wanted to get behind. I guess there's a balance out there for getting something back in print in a cool way that will appeal to people who hadn't yet bought the release on vinyl, and overdoing it with different versions...

Couldn't you do some of those reissues as a smaller pressing? I am not sure how much you usually press per record as Saddle Creek seems to keep pressing info under wraps but if you were worried about not moving a ton of records why not just do a pressing of 200-500, if those sell do another pressing with the same color. Personally I wish when you guys repress a record you would do a different color instead of the same color or making it 180 Gram. There is obviously a market for a lot of these reissues specifically for Bright Eyes and Cursive.

suchashorttime:

I asked the powers that be about any hints I could give, and haven't heard back yet. But I'm guessing I'll need to keep things under wraps until there's some kind of official announcement. Sorry that sucks, but if I get the green light I'll let you guys know what I can right away.

Kjm23:

Regarding the smaller pressings... the problem is that the fewer we press, the higher the cost. Especially true for jackets and inserts. The smaller the pressing, the harder it is to do a quality pressing with decent packaging. Our list price would have to go a lot higher, which doesn't benefit anyone. We try to print as high a quantity as possible, including doing extra print for the next run, so we can keep our costs down. Vinyl costs in general have been going up, so it can be a struggle.

I agree, it's cool to do different colors when repressing, but as I mentioned before, it's kind of a company philosophy that we don't go too far in the direction of encouraging variant collecting. There's been debate about it here over the years... on one hand you don't want to be boring and want to give fans something cool... but on the other, you don't want to be seen as greedy, trying to get people to buy the same record a bunch of times, or like we're "cashing in".

Storms of Early Summer and Such Blinding Stars set w/ bonus 8 (4?) Teeth To Eat Your/Burst and Bloom disc? Would buy. Someone do the track length math on those.

it'd be kinda nice to just have a separate release for the Eastern Youth split. i'd like to have the whole release on vinyl. i know of all things Cursive, that would probably be the biggest longshot. wishful thinking!

suchashorttime:

I asked the powers that be about any hints I could give, and haven't heard back yet. But I'm guessing I'll need to keep things under wraps until there's some kind of official announcement. Sorry that sucks, but if I get the green light I'll let you guys know what I can right away.

Kjm23:

Regarding the smaller pressings... the problem is that the fewer we press, the higher the cost. Especially true for jackets and inserts. The smaller the pressing, the harder it is to do a quality pressing with decent packaging. Our list price would have to go a lot higher, which doesn't benefit anyone. We try to print as high a quantity as possible, including doing extra print for the next run, so we can keep our costs down. Vinyl costs in general have been going up, so it can be a struggle.

I agree, it's cool to do different colors when repressing, but as I mentioned before, it's kind of a company philosophy that we don't go too far in the direction of encouraging variant collecting. There's been debate about it here over the years... on one hand you don't want to be boring and want to give fans something cool... but on the other, you don't want to be seen as greedy, trying to get people to buy the same record a bunch of times, or like we're "cashing in".

thanks for checking that out, man! i understand if such information is to be kept under wraps for now, but I like getting excited about things... particularly saddle creek things.

Just heard back. They want me to not say anything... I'll have to make you wait until there's an announcement. Sorry again, not trying to be a tease. But I just wanted to let you folks know that there are things in the works that will make many of you happy. Some very soon, others a ways off.

Whenever there's an announcement, I'll try to jump in on those threads here and give any additional info I can at that time.

Just heard back. They want me to not say anything... I'll have to make you wait until there's an announcement. Sorry again, not trying to be a tease. But I just wanted to let you folks know that there are things in the works that will make many of you happy. Some very soon, others a ways off.

Whenever there's an announcement, I'll try to jump in on those threads here and give any additional info I can at that time.

Random SC vinyl question: How come the cover art of the Faint's "Danse Macabre" changed with the repress?

Random SC vinyl question: How come the cover art of the Faint's "Danse Macabre" changed with the repress?

The image of the dude was not licensed. Not sure if they got a C&D on it, but that's what I was told way back in 2001 or whenever I noticed it.